Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOD BLESS MEDICARE!!

Hi All!

I've not been around much lately as I got a new right knee on March 12th. And today for the first time, I intend to take to the road and go shopping. Whoopee!
    But, to get to the point! I got a bill in the mail for the hospital stay and surgery - seventy-seven thousand and a few pennies. It does not seem so bad in written form. God bless Medicare!

Re: GOD BLESS MEDICARE!!

Good luck with your 'new knee', amazing what they can do nowadays.

What would we do witthout Medicare and National Health.

Take a few weeks before you try a marathon !

Ranald

Comment

Hi Liz,
      yes thank goodness for Medicare and similar programmes.
      From "outside" it seems really odd to me that Obama's plans are being challenged in your Supreme Court. Seems that there is still a huge paranoia in the US about anything that smacks of social care.
      My son is going in for a new knee on May 24th. So Betty is travelling over to look after her "baby"!!!~~~
      I thought that they would have had you up and about a lot sooner, based on other people that I know who have had similar ops.

So when will you be lacing up the boots again?~~~

Sandy

Comment

Hi Sandy:

Actually I'm making quite a fast recovery. Dumped the walker ten days after surgery and could maneuver the stairs normally within three weeks. But this was more than the normal total knee replacement as I have rods above and below the knee for support - really abused this old bod and left it too many years before seeking medical treatment.
        As for lacing up the boots - can't wait to get back up on the mountain. I'll look for another Charlie or maybe two come July/August and then I'm off to the wilds.
        As for Obamacare, what a mess of misinformation. Poll the public and you find most want medicare for all. That should have the Administration's tack from the beginning.
        Hope you are having a grand trip and having a grand time with all the family.
        Best aye, Liz.

Comment

Hi Liz,
          you really did get a restructure. Yes, best to wait a bit before heading for the hills.
          Stephen has already had reconstruction work done years ago but it has not been all that successful.
          I've been out here in Manitoba since early Feb and will be leaving next Saturday. It has been great with this set of g-kids. Having to remember all the old songs and kids poetry has been a challenge. For the last couple of days g-son and I have been sitting out on the back steps singing all sorts of nonsense songs, that he can now re-teach his Mum!!!
          Pouring of rain today so very reminiscent of home (wherever that is!!!).
          No-one ever said that political leaders were the sharpest tools in the box. We get the "leaders" we deserve, though I have to admit the US system just leaves me totally "cold". Money really does talk.

Sandy

Comment

Hey Lizzie...What does your doctor tell you in regard to osteoporosis? A friend of mine, who is lots older than me, had a knee replacement, & because of her osteoporosis, the joint failed, & she went back & got another. (don't know ALL details!) She's over 80 years old, & is now living in a nursing home. Just wondering....Joan

PS: in my dealings with Medicare, plus my own Medigap supplement, I have NEVER received any extra bills to pay. As you stated, thank goodness we do have Medicare!!!

Comment

Hi Sandy:

Wish I had been a fly on the wall watching you sing nonsense songs. The imagined sight brings a broad smile. But, it had to be fun sharing that moment with the wee yin.

As for idiot politicians there might still be a few that project hope. Take a gander at this:

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced his plan to push for a system of public financing during this year's legislative session, something the New York Times recently editorialized on.

As stated in Cuomo's prepared remarks, "It's time we make sure that all New Yorkers have an equal voice in our political process. Therefore, it is imperative that we implement real campaign finance reform and provide citizens with a voice in the very foundation of democracy — the ballot box."

Below are a few news stories and reactions to the speech.

Public Campaign's Nick Nyhart: "The American people are tired of elections sold to the highest bidder and Gov. Cuomo and the New York legislature can show Congress and statehouses across the country that there is a better, more accountable, and more fair way."

Citizens Action of New York's Karen Scharff: "Governor Cuomo made it clear today that New York needs public financing of elections so ordinary New Yorkers can once again play an active role in our democracy. Without public funding of elections, the public will continue to be shut out of state government – while the corporate lobbyists call the shots. Passage of public financing of elections will ensure that all citizens of the state have their voices heard in state politics."

Might just be the beginning of ridding this country of cronyism and rampant corruption.

Comment

Hi Joan:

I don't have a problem with bone density. Was 100% last year - not bad for an old bird. But then with all the physical work I do around this house, the muscles chugging on the old bones keeps them solid. BTW the town inspector was most complimentary on my plumbing efforts installing the electric furnace. If you sit down and read up on the project and use the auld heid there's not much you can't accomplish.

Comment

Hi LIzzie.

Great to see you back, Just as well you have your health insurance, we have not bothered with it for quite a few years [too expensive] . Fortunately over here we have a similar scheme to the UK [National Health], it just means having to go on a waiting list for non urgent [elective surgery]. My wife has had both her knees done over the past four years or so, plus gall bladder, two abdominal hernias plus two foot operations, previous to that I did pay for one which was causing her a bit of grief [rotator cuff--shoulder]. However my daughter and son-in-law are well covered by insurance [definitely essential as they have two young sons].

Happily, I'm healthy, don't worry about the doctor except for annual influenza needle.....I've inherited all that "Guid Scots Blood"

Maybe over that way if they started/instigated a few less conflicts, scaled back flying to Mars and all the other ridiculous Billions of $$$$ they waste there would be money available to help those in need.

Anyway, welcome back to "The Fiesty Wee Scot"

Now.........Smile---- http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cyshGWpPjv...h+wild+cat.jpg

Comment

Hi Sandy:

The OCCUPY HANDBOOK will be available in independent book stores and Amazon on April 17th.

It is a compilation of 66 contributors - some of the best minds, journalists, and economists - giving thought to America's revolt against inequality, the history, and the next outbreak of activist rage sure to happen.

Should be an interesting read.

Comment

Lizzie,
                      Glad to hear that your surgery went well and you are back on your feet. I too thank goodness for Medicare, our system here in Oz and in the UK.
                      My poor sister in Scotland is 10 years younger than me and has had Rheumatic Arthritis since she was in her 20's. I call her my bionic sister. She has had 3 knee replacements, 2 hips, 2 shoulders and 2 elbows the poor girl. She had a great run for about 10 years, until 2 years ago, where her symptoms were under control, then they all flared up again and just late last year she had to have heart valve surgery too.......all related to her form of arthritis which is related to psoriasis. I think a lot of people don't know that there are different forms of chronic inherited arthristis.
                      It runs in my family. I get psoriasis which flares up every so often but I think, from what I know of my family history, that the arthritis is triggered by cold climate which would explain why I haven't gotten it. Our great aunt married an Irishman and went to live in Ireland where she was widowed in the 1930's with 2 small children. She went to work in a dairy farm (no widow pension in those days) and developed the arthritis also in her 20's. My sisters flared up when she went to live on the Isle of Skye for a number of years when her kids were young....her husband was working there. Skye is bloody freezing most of the year.

Elda

Comment

Hey Everyone!!
                        Obamacare will not win in the Supreme Court as the majority are Republicans. They cried "Social Care" also when Hilary Clinton did an extensive study of our medical system and proposed something very similar. The "Occupy Handbook" should be a required reading for all, however, politicians will never care about inequality. They have money and us taxpayers pay for their medical insurance for life. The US publishes a book full of wasted money each year, the bridge to nowhere in Alaska, and nothing really happens. Oh, and GWB campaigned on sending us to the moon again. Like there is anything new to discover. Oh, and now a certain party is campaigning to do away with Social Security, Medicare, and Disability etc. How nice. AARP came out against this and was blasted. It is a Presidental election year!!! Ok, ok, sorry about my rant!! Lizzie, so glad you are doing well. Keep it up.

Comment

Hi Diane!

It is great to vent at times!!! Bet you feel good!:laugh2: Thanks for the kind wishes!

Comment

Hey to all who've posted on this topic!! I feel that overall we are much more privileged to be able to live a lot longer, statistically, than our parents, grandparents, & ancestors. My English grandfather, who had rheumatoid arthritis, lived to 79. My mother lived to 57, my elder brother lived to 50. My dad lived to nearly 91. My stepmother now is 91, & my great-aunt on my father's side is 93. (she just got diagnosed with Alzheimer's)

Physically, I'm doing okay, except for some osteoarthritis in varied places. And major allergies. Elda, I see on the telly that the golfer Phil Mickelson, has psoriatic arthritis, & he's taking some treatment/medication, that he says is really helping him. He's still on the golf tour, think he played at Augusta Masters. If you could find out what that meds is, you could tell your sister. Although, maybe she knows that already!!

Just some of my own meandering thoughts. Joan

Comment

Hey,
                              The medication Phil Mickelson is on is called Enbrel, Joan. It is an injection that you can do yourself. He seems to be doing really good.

Comment

Working...
                              X