Walter Gregor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter Gregor

As seems usual for me these days when I read a book I often find a reference to a person that I've never heard of but sounds like an interesting character. And indeed in this case I've found a small mine of information on the Folk Lore of Scotland.

Walter Gregor was a teacher, minister and a Folklorist and based in the North East of Scotland. In doing some research about him I discovered a short biography of him and John Henderson then found some genealogy information about him. I then found he was a founding member of the Folk-Lore Society and had contributed much to their publication. He has also published many articles and books in the Hebrew, French and Spanish languages. So all in all quite a character.

Through the Internet Archive I found the first 7 volumes of the Folk-Lore Society in which he made many contributions so have made them available for you to read. I also found...

Counting Out Rhymes of Children
    Kilns, Mills, Millers, Meal and Bread
    Notes on the Folk-Lore of the North-East of Scotland

and have made these available as well.

So having made all this available you've likely got a few weeks reading in front of you <grin>

In Notes on the Folk-Lore of the North-East of Scotland you'll find chapters on...

Birth
    The Child
    Baptism
    The Nursery
    Boy Code of Honour
    About the Human Body
    Dreama, Divination, &c.
    Leechcraft
    The House
    Evenings at the Fireside
    Fairies
    Water-Kelpie
    Ghosts
    Witches
    "Black Airt" and Devil Compacts
    Riddles
    Marriage
    Place Rhymes
    Place and Family Characteristics
    Animal and Plant Superstitions
    Times and Seasons and Weather
    Christmas, New Year's Day, &c.
    Countings Out
    Washing Day
    Farming
    Boats and Fishing
    Death
    Burial

You can view this page at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...gor_walter.htm

Alastair
Working...
X