Shetland: Descriptive and Historical
    Robert Burns Lives!
    Waddell’s Life And Works Of Robert Burns
    Reminiscences of the Royal Burgh of Haddington
    Clan Ross of Canada
    Russells Moryshire Register (1852)
    Clan Colquhoun of North America

Electric Scotland News

Here I was thinking this was Tuesday and then at 4pm finding it was Thursday and newsletter day! <gulp>.

We're making more progress towards getting the Scotland's Future forums going. We now have our first moderator appointed for the Monetary Policy forum and I understand we have at least 4 more coming in shortly.

The RSS feeds are moving forward and mind that if you have news from your clan society or other Scottish organisation then feel free to send it in. I would like to get more news from Australia and New Zealand so if any of you know of any source for news please let me know.

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at:
    *http://www.electricscotland.com/whatsnew.htm and also http://www.electriccanadian.com/whatsnew.htm
    We try not to point to a pdf file and instead send you to page where the pdf can be downloaded.

Electric Canadian

The United Empire Loyalist Settlement at Long Point, Lake Erie
    We continue to add more chapters from this book and in the past week we've added...

Chapter LVI. Spurgin.
    Chapter LVII. Hutchison.
    Chapter LVIII. Buchner.
    Chapter LIX. Wycoff.
    Chapter LX. Haviland.
    Chapter LXI. Fairchild.
    Chapter LXII. Wilson.
    Chapter LXIII. Shaw.
    Chapter LXIV. Davis.
    Chapter LXV. Glover.
    Chapter LXVI. Dougharty.
    Chapter LXVII. Green.
    Conclusion.
    References.

And with these chapters we've now completed this book.

You can read these at http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...oint/index.htm

Making Good in Canada
    By Frederick A. Talbot (1912)

This week we've added the following chapters...

Chapter XX*- Various and Miscellaneous Opportunities for Success
    Chapter XXI*- Some Emigration Problems and how they may be solved

And this also completes this book.

You can read these chapters at http://www.electriccanadian.com/pion...king/index.htm

Canadian Monthly Magazine
    Published by the Vanderhoof-Gunn Publishing Company

I've now added Volume 15 and while still somewhat faint it is certainly readable.

This can be found at http://www.electriccanadian.com/life...zine/index.htm

and this now lets us start two new books...

The Real Cobalt
    The Story of Canada's Marvellous Silver Mining Camp by Anson A Gard.

PREFACE

DID you ever think that the first you read is the last the author writes? We never know what a book is to be, and cannot know until it is. As Patrick would say— “we never know what we are going to write until we have written it.”

In May of 1907, Cobalt to me was a name—now it is a reality, and, believe me, “reality” may well be placed in italics. If I am an enthusiast on the subject, it is with reason, and I am honest in saying, that the most glowing accounts of it but feebly convey what Cobalt really is. Even during the months I spent in the camp, prospect after prospect turned to mine, and mine to shipper. I passed the Gillies Limit with a “calcite” jest, only to find it a “shipper,” after the jest was in printed page. That is the one advantage of a Preface—you can take it back before the book reaches the hands of the critic, and thus discount his sting.

Two days ago, Feb. 28th, the most famous mining law suit of the Camp was ended. For years “The Lawson Vein” was in litigation. It passed from court to court (see page 30), through many tedious trials. But this ends it, and I have got to record the ending even it I have to put it in the “Beginning.” Tom Crawford lost and John McMartin won.

I trust that no one will get the impression that I think all of the 949 Coleman claims and the hundreds outside will become mines. That would be impossible, and I would wish no one to be misled. I do say that there are many great mines in Cobalt, and many more prospects that must yet become rich shippers. 1 have named of each a very, very few. Some of the richest have but hardly noted in passing—some of their owners being so modest that they wished not to be mentioned. Like the Quakeress, modest and humble—and enormously proud of it.

I am indebted to so many for courtesies and favors, that a bare list would turn Preface into a long chapter, and they must take the “will.”

To the newspapers and journals I owe much, especially so to The Silver City News, of Haileybury, and The Canadian Mining Journal, of Toronto From the columns of both I gained much valuable data. You too are indebted to this great Mining Journal, for many of the beautiful illustrations are here through the kindness of its people. It was their wish that the Camp— which already owes it so great a debt—should be shown as it is, and nothing so illustrates as pictures of the real.

In subsequent editions (which must follow, since the first is all but gone before it leaves the press), many new features will be added. New pictures, other mines, a fund of stories and incidents of the Camp; and sketches of other characters who have figured in its early history and subsequent growth. No features of more interest will be than “How it was Discovered” and "The Rapid Successes of Cobalt”, In which, will appear many discoveries, incidents and biographical sketches, familiar to the old timers. In short, the most interesting features of any book—again letting Patrick tell it—“are the things not in it.” They will be in the next, if the readers of this will but add individual mine incidents to my already large collection of the general camp life. With many a “thank you” to Cobalt, and to that great Northland, and with sweet memories of a delightful sojourn among their kindly people, I am,

Most sincerely,
    THE AUTHOR.
    Toronto, March, 1908.

You can read this book at http://www.electriccanadian.com/tran.../cobaltndx.htm

Reminiscences of the Early History of Galt
    and the Settlement of Dumfries in the Province of Ontario By James Young (1880).

PREFACE

It has frequently been suggested to the writer to collect in some permanent form the fast-fading Reminiscences of the early history of Galt and the settlement of Dumfries, in whose atmosphere he has lived from childhood. A few months leisure during the past summer and fall, was devoted to this purpose, the result of which is the present volume, which, with some misgivings, is now laid before the public.

It is not claimed that the settlement of Dumfries and Galt has varied much from that of other parts of Canada, or that their history has been marked by many events of historical interest. But it is hoped it will be found not uninteresting, even to persons unassociated with the locality, as picturing some phases of Backwoods Life in Canada half a century ago, and as illustrating what communities and individuals may accomplish by honest industry and thrift, to better their fortunes in a new land.

These Reminiscences, however, will be chiefly interesting to the remnant—alas! constantly growing less—of the early Pioneers of the settlement, and their descendants. Imbued with profound respect for the time-scarred Veterans who transformed Galt and Dumfries from a wilderness into what they appear to-day, the writer has aimed, however feebly, to exalt their arduous life-work, and preserve the names and memories of many of these good men and true, who, with the other early Pioneers of Canada, are believed to be its true heroes.

In proceeding with the work, more difficulties were encountered than had been at first foreseen. Very little in the way of reliable records was available. The facts and dates of the earlier circumstances had necessarily to be obtained from some of the oldest Pioneers, and the-memory, after the lapse of fifty or sixty years, is not always reliable, particularly in regard to dates. Reference to some persons and circumstances may have been overlooked which ought to have appeared—indeed, one of the difficulties in dealing with the sober circumstances of every-day life in a new settlement, is to decide between what is too interesting to omit, and too trifling to appear. Care has been taken, however, to verify all material statements, as far as data could be found, and to present them as accurately as possible.

As the names of my Mentors are mentioned in one way or another in several places, it is unnecessary to do more here than to thank them, which I do most heartily, for much information and assistance zealously rendered.

The little volume has been hastily written, makes no pretensions to literary excellence, and no one is more conscious than the writer of its deficiencies, both in matter and form. It is hoped, however, it will be welcome as a humble tribute to his native place, that it may help to preserve the memory of the men and the circumstances, however unpretending, connected with the early history of Galt and the settlement of Dumfries, and, it may be, brighten a leisure hour or two in its perusal.

“Thornhill,” Galt, Christmas, 187U.
    THE AUTHOR.

You can read this book at http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...galt/index.htm

The Native Races of North British America
    By W. D. Hambly

PREFACE

DURING recent years there has been a very happy tendency to change the nature of geographical teaching from a monotonous memorising of the names of natural features to a subject of living interest.

In the endeavour to effect this change there has been a serious omission in our failure to appeal to natural interests of children by making the human element a central feature of geographical work. A study of the picturesque lives of native races of the British Empire is an absolute essential if the teacher wishes to impart the appropriate colour and setting to a subsequent course of economic, regional, and political geography.

The sharp contrast between European beliefs and customs and those of primitive people is in itself an incentive to study and interest. In addition to this, a sympathetic understanding of the many native races who are controlled by English statesmanship is necessary for the material and moral progress of dominions in the British Empire.

W. D. HAMBLY.

This book can be read at http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...ive_people.htm

I might add that I had a chat this week with the Metés council and am hopeful at getting in some of their history.

The Flag in the Wind

This issue was Compiled by Jennifer Dunn. An interesting article on a proposed Glasgow Famine Memorial. Well worth a read... and there are also some excellent articles in the Synopsis.

You can read this issue at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Electric Scotland

The Bards of Bon Accord 1375 - 1860
    By William Walker

We've now added the final bios from this book which is now complete.

You can read these chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...cord/index.htm

Northern Notes and Queries
    Note: In the pdf version of this newsletter I am placing a graphic of the Contents page so you can see what is included in each issue. Note that from the 1894 edition we are using a new source to bring you other issues of this quarterly magazine. Each issue continues to bring information on different families such that this current issue includes information on Pitcairn, Erskine and Macdonald and others.

1894 Articles 586 to 608

This issue can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...hern/index.htm

Kirkintilloch Town and Parish
    By Thomas Watson (1894)

This week we've added...

Weavers
    Municipal Government
    Parochial Board
    Churches
    Educational
    William Muir, Poet
    Peter Neilson, Poet
    David Gray, Poet

Here is how the chapter on Weavers starts...

Weavers are by some people supposed to be rather a weak and effeminate race of men, but there never was a greater mistake as applied to Kirkintilloch weavers, as Mr. Russell’s letters so conclusively show.

It must be remembered for one thing that the occupation of a weaver was once rather a good one—they were, as a rule, independent of a master, and could take a holiday at any time. They invariably took ample time for meals, and generally a half-holiday on Saturdays. At harvest or other farm-work they were able to cope with any other class of workers. They have always been noted throughout Scotland for their intelligence, possibly more than those of any other occupation; eager for knowledge, great readers— especially of the newspapers—and keen politicians. We believe that not only in Kirkintilloch, but throughout Scotland, the great majority were Radicals, but we must leave our readers to judge for themselves whether this was a proof of their intelligence or not. Certain it is that they have always discussed the affairs of the nation ; have been familiar with the characters and speeches of the men composing each cabinet; and could at all times rule the policy and affairs of the British Government in the Cowgate of Kirkintilloch much better—in their own estimation—than ministers could do in London.

At a large meeting of Radicals in the east-end of Glasgow in the early part of this century, the chairman happened to be a man who had fled from Gallowhill some years before, to avoid the penalty of illicit distillation. The reports by delegates from all parts of the country were being called for by the chairman, who at last said, “And what’s Kirkintilloch daein?” The delegate from Kirkintilloch, who knew the chairman and his antecedents said, “Oh! the Kirkintilloch folk are jist on the swither.” “It*s jist like them,” said the chairman, “if the Luggie was rinnin* whisky, they would be a* soomin in’t like fish, and the deil a drap would reach the Clyde.” “Ay,” retorted the delegate, “and ye had to rin awa frae Gallowhill for makin’t.”

The rest of this chapter can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter40.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...loch/index.htm

Shetland: Descriptive and Historical

Have added more chapters...

Chapter XXII. - Sulem Voe to Feideland
    Bardister—Ollaberry—North Roe—Fishing-station at Feideland.

Chapter XXIII. - The Haaf-fishing.

Chapter XXIV. - Sand Voe to Roeness Voe
    Pirate's Visit, &c.—North-West Coast of Northmavine—Uyea—Roeness Voe—Action fonght there—Roeness Hill—Veiwfrom its Summit.

Chapter XXV. - Roeness Voe to Hamna Voe
    Wonderful Effects of the Sea —Grind of the Navir—Villians of Ure—Holes of Scraada—The Cannon.

Chapter XXVI. - Eshaness
    Cross Kirk—Stenness—Dore Holm—Tangwick —DrongB—Hills wick Ness—Heads of Grocken.

Chapter XXVII. - Hillswick.

Chapter XXVIII. - Swarback’s Mine
    Muckle Roe—Busta — The Giffords of Busta.

Here is how the chapter on The Haff-Fishing starts...

THE Feideland haaf (i.e., deep-sea fishing-ground), is thirty or forty miles from land. Each six-oared boat carries from 4000 to 6000 fathoms of line, provided with one thousand or twelve hundred hooks, which are baited by such small fish as can be obtained, as piltocks, haddocks, herring, &c. The water in which the lines are set varies in depth, from 50 to 100 fathoms. They are sunk, and kept in their proper places along the bottom, by means of cappie stones, arranged at certain intervals, while their, position is marked on the surface by three buoys. The setting of the line occupies, in moderate weather, three or four hours. This accomplished, the men rest for about two hours, and then begin to haul them. This important process occupies the whole crew. One man pulls in the line; another takes the fish off the hook, and places them in the afternoom of the boat; a third guts them, and lays the heads and livers in the middle-room, the offal being thrown overboard; while the other three keep the boat still by means of the oars. Ling is the fish chiefly caught; but along with these some tusk and a few cod. From six to ten ling weigh a hundred weight. From twelve to fifteen hundred weights of fish are reckoned a fair haul; from twenty to twenty-five an excellent one. From thirty-five to forty hundred weights or weighs, as the men term .them, are seldom taken, and when they are, the heads and even the small fish are thrown overboard to make room for them. Should the weather become severe, considerable danger is involved in carrying such a large cargo to land. The largest quantity of fish known to have been brought on shore from the haaf at one time, was seventy-two weighs, or three tons twelve hundred weight, taken by a North Yell boat in the summer of 1870. Between two hundred and three hundred weighs of wet fish is reckoned a good catch, for a six-oared boat during the haaf-fishmg season, which, as already mentioned, extends from about the middle of May to the middle of August. The North Yell boat just mentioned, caught in 1870 five hundred weighs, or twenty-five tons. Ling is sold to the curers at about 7s. 6d. per hundred weight, or £7, 10s. per ton. Thus, a boat catching two hundred and sixty hundred weight in a season, would earn £97, or £16 to each of its six men, certainly no great reward for the toils, exposure, and danger they endure.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...2chapter23.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...land/index.htm

Robert Burns Lives!
    Edited by Frank Shaw

I have often wondered what would have been the outcome of*Poems, Chiefly in the Scottish Dialect*if Robert Burns and John Wilson had come to an agreement for Wilson to publish the second edition of Burns’s book. It is a mere question of speculation - just as I’ve often wondered what might have happened if two Atlantans, Robert Woodruff and Herman Lay, had sat down for a drink or dinner at The Capital City Club and discussed The Coca-Cola Company’s (rather than that “other” soft drink group) buying Lay’s potato chip business. Although both are mere speculations, it tickles my backbone to consider both possibilities. Burns and Wilson could never reach a financial agreement so Burns, encouraged by the quick sale of the first 612 copies of his cherished book (reportedly all copies sold within a month) made his way to Edinburgh to test the waters in Auld Reekie. The rest is history and little did we know a “skinking” and a “stinking” haggis poem would play such an important part in the publication of not one Edinburgh copy but both of them.

I would be remiss in my responsibility if I did not point out that as in last week’s Part 1 article by Patrick Scott on John Wilson, all of the*illustrations, then and now, come from the G. Ross Roy Collection at the University of South Carolina. Professor Scott has another exemplary presentation for us, and my personal thanks seem inadequate for two outstanding back-to-back articles that will add another dimension to our pages.

You can read this article "Robert Burns’s First Printer: John Wilson of Kilmarnock. Part 2: The Book Market in Burns’s Ayrshire" by Patrick Scott at: http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...s_lives152.htm

Other articles in this series can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...rank/burns.htm

Waddell’s Life And Works Of Robert Burns
    We already have a huge amount up about Robert Burns but we acquired this 2 volume publication and consulted with Frank Shaw and so we decided to serialise this on the site. It also has a number of excellent illustrations and some colour plates.
    This week we started to add the second volume and you can read this book as we get it up at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/burns/lifeandworks.htm

Reminiscences of the Royal Burgh of Haddington
    And Old East Lothian Agriculturists by John Martine (1883).

Found a wee video which shows you some pictures of the town. We added the following chapters this week...

Introduction
    West Port, Etc.
    The High Street
    Sidegate, Etc.
    Hardgate
    Market Street and Newton Port
    Custom Stone, Church Street, Sans, Etc.
    Reminiscences of the Nungate

Here is how the chapter on the High Street starts...

THE High Street of Haddington is wide and capacious, and, being the principal thoroughfare of the burgh, it contains many good houses and shops. Situated on the lowest level of the valley in which Haddington is built, it is much exposed to inundations from the Tyne river. Frequently in its furious spates, the water has reached up as far as the George Inn; and in the great flood of 4th October 1775, the street was filled to a considerable depth, as far up as the Tolbooth. It is a curious circumstance to note that on the south side of the street the tenements, with the exception of one or two, have no underground cellars attached to them, while on the north side the cellars are numerous and of considerable depth. A geological reason may perhaps be stated, viz., that on the south side the houses are built on a stratum of stiff boulder-clay which would have the effect of making the houses damp, while on the north side the stratum is dry gravel and sand. Within the last sixty years, every property in the High Street, except nine or ten, has changed owners. Like many other old burgh towns, there were a good many outside stairs which encroached on the rough causeway of the side-paths. These paid a small yearly feu to the burgh for the privilege. They have long ago been removed in the course of improvements, as well as the old-fashioned bow windows of shops, of which there were many in the High Street. The rough causewayed side-paths were relaid with pavement in 1826.

Most of the principal merchants shops were in the High Street, and being the place where the two yearly fairs, butter, egg, vegetable, and shoe markets were held, as also the highroad from Edinburgh to London, where the Mail, Union, and other coaches, as well as numerous posting-carriages, changed horses at the George and Bell Inns, the High Street was one of no little importance.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter02.htm

You can read the rest of these chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...gton/index.htm

Clan Ross of Canada
    We got in a copy of their September 2012 newsletter which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...wsletters/ross

Russell's Moryshire Register (1852)
    I do keep my eye out for any publications that will provide names of people that lived in Scotland. This one also includes a kind of almanac on Scottish events and are of general interest. You can read this at the foot of the page at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/records

Clan Colquhoun
    Got in the Fall 2012 Newsletter which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...ters/colquhoun

And finally...

Weight Off Her Mind

A new mum joined a slimming group in Edinburgh to lose weight after the birth of her baby.

As the rest of the class cooed over the little one, one of the other ladies, to help her get on with the meeting, told her she would look after the baby.

"Brilliant," said the mum handing the child over, "I'll come back and collect him when he's 21."

-----

Time to Pay Up

A Paisley taxi driver, unable to wake a fare in the back, drove him to the local police station where an officer looked at the meter, shook the chap awake and told him that if he didn't pay the £20.15 owed he would spend a night in the cells.

The dozy drunk immediately snapped upright and declared: "Wait a minute! The driver was saying it was only seven quid!"

The officer, it seems, had read the taxi's clock, which was at quarter past eight, rather than the meter, but at least it got the passenger's attention.

And that's all for now and hope you all have a great weekend.

Alastair
Working...
X