Caledonian Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caledonian Kitchen

I think I might have mentioned that I got in a sample pack of their products which includes haggis, stew and cakes.

Just as they all arrived I switched from being a type 2 diabetic to being a type 1 so it's been a wee while to get myself organised and get around to tasting their products.

They have 4 different haggis brands...

They have Lamb Haggis which is the original. Then Highland Beef Haggis, Sirloin Beef Haggis and Vegetarian Haggis.

The only one I've tasted so far is the Lamb Haggis and it's excellent. I was actually on the tasting team for that way back when reported that what they had produced was terrible. They worked on it and the final recipe before launch was excellent and so it remains. I'd highly recommend it.

When it comes to the Stew they have Irish Stew with Beef, Irish Stew with Lamb and Tavern Stew with Beef. I didn't get the Tavern Stew but did taste the two Irish Stews. The Beef version I didn't like at all. It had a very peculiar taste and after a couple of bites I threw it out.

I did however liked the Lamb version.. perhaps a touch peppery but with a slice of bread and butter with it the meal went down great. Each Stew is make with meat, potato and vegetables.

As to the Cakes... They have four of them... Barbados Rum Cake, Chocolate Bourbon Cake, Irish Whisky Cake and Single Malt Whisky Cake. All of them were excellent but after a wee slice my blood sugar went through the roof so obviously something I won't be eating much of. I might add however that I ate them on their own, with some butter and also microwaved with hot custard. Each way they were excellent and the alcohol taste and smell is obvious in each of them. As they are cooked in the can they are a great larder item for any time people arrive suddenly as they last a long time.

They also do Fresh Frozen Haggis in 4Lb and 8Lb sizes so perfect for organising your own Burns Supper. You'll also find a Pepper Sauce and a Dark Ground Coffee available.

They also do a Haggis Presentation Kit for those organizing parties.

So there you have my report. I'd definitely recommend the Lamb Haggis and the cakes for sure.

You can get to their web site at http://www.caledoniankitchen.com

Alastair
Working...
X