Pringle of Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pringle of Scotland

The historic and creative brand Pringle of Scotland have taken the bold move forward to present the Spring Summer collection in the form of a film, created by art photographer Ryan McGinley and starring the Academy Award winner Tilda Swinton.

The short film explores iconic elements of the Scottish terrain whilst delivering beautiful images of the clothes themselves on the captivating and bewitching actress.

Alastair

Re: Pringle of Scotland

I remember my mother speaking about the fine quality of their knitwear, but as a young working lass she could not afford it, however on a a trip "Home" in 1966 she brought back some fine articles of their knitwear. :smile:

Pringle of Scotland celebrate iconic brand history

04 August 2011 18:11 GMT

The Scottish fashion label has launched an Edinburgh exhibition to showcase 196 years of its distinguishable creations. STV takes a look back at some of Pringle’s iconic fashion items.

Pringle of Scotland is a label synonymous with the Scottish knitwear industry and has established itself within a world platform over its 196 years in business as an internationally recognised brand.

Now as the Edinburgh Festival gears up for another year of bustling crowds and scores of arts events, Pringle of Scotland has decided to showcase its proud history as part of an archive project.

Organised by students from Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design and the curator of the Borders Textile Towerhouse museum, this exhibition From Hawick to Hollywood, the women who wore Pringle will look at the relationship between Pringle of Scotland and women who wore the brand between the 1940s to the 1960s.

The archive will include vintage designs, dress maker garments and redesigned pieces by the Central Saint Martins students – the latter of which can be purchased by the public.

In addition, there will also be a designer cabinet which will have items such as Tilda Swinton’s redesign of her grandmother’s Pringle Twinset.

Speaking of the display, the exhibition curator Shona Sinclair said: “It explores Pringle through the glamour, elegance and luxury of the garment worn by women both local and internationally famous.

“The highlight of the exhibition is the catwalk where you can see a selection of garments from the 40s up until the 60s.”

A FASHION FEAST:

•Photo gallery featuring Pringle of Scotland's vast fashion collection
    William Shaw, who was Pringle of Scotland’s design director between 1972 and1978, reminisced about the wonderful vibrancy the outfits created within the birth town of Hawick, saying: “Hawick was marvellous, you would walk along the high street and it would be like walking into a fashion show…the shops were all full of high fashion and people really cared for it.

“The girls they used as models to work in the showrooms were local girls, beautiful local girls who were sent to the Lucie Clayton School of Modelling in London and came back like Eliza Doolittle. They were transformed into gorgeous elegant women and were used in the showrooms as complements of course to the beautiful cashmeres.

“Pringle were really ahead of their time and eager to experiment.”

The Pringle Archive Project is now open to the public at Harvey Nichols in Edinburgh until August 24.

go to the link to view the photo gallery.

http://entertainment.stv.tv/showbiz/...brand-history/

Comment

HI, Gordon.....I am trying to remember the times when I was 17-20 years of age, so bear with me!! I believe that I had a twin-set sweater set of blue cashmere, which I purchased with my own $. Also had what we Americans call a "cardigan" which was apple green cashmere. I think that they were Pringle, but as I do not have them anymore, I cannot vouch for that. I do remember labels saying "Hawick", Scotland. Boy, it's hard to drag stuff out of one's brain! Joan

Comment

Joan,
        We also call them cardigans down here...................or we once did.....anthing is possible these days with all the "New Speak" that seems to permeate our society at times.
        Gordon.

Comment

They're called cardigans everywhere as far as I know. I don't know what they do with the knitwear these days but my late husband, Mal, had a Pringles golf jumper which my brother & sister in law had brought from Scotland and even though it was pure wool, you could just toss it in the washing machine and it came out perfect every time. Knitwear like that lasts a life time.
          I have a jumper which I knitted for myself when my youngest was about 18 months and he will be 34 shortly. It wasn't wool but a good quality acrylic which I've always just tossed in the washing machine. I still have it and it still fits me :shocked:

Elda

Comment

Elda...when I was in England, I did a lot of knitting, & I still have a couple of my own wool sweaters, plus one my dear mom knitted for me, with buttons that I bought in Munich, while I was in University over there. LONG sentence....does this mean I go on.......too much??? And Gordon, I think that the English call a cardigan a "jumper". That's why I stated it that way!! I have some mixed cashmere sweaters now that I bought on eBay, although they're not as nice as the old ones.

And also, Elda, do you remember that when we were teens, that the sizing for women/girls was smaller then? My old cashmere sweaters might not have fitted me now, as although I wear the same size, it's now bigger!!! Just a few thoughts...Joan

Comment

Joan,

I always remember a sweater/jumper being the same article {sometimes called a "pullover"), cardigans differ as they have buttons.

Gordon.

Comment

Scotland cloths and art always interesting for me
                :D

Comment

Working...
                X