Looking for some help on Scottish Clan Lands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some help on Scottish Clan Lands

I've always wanted to do a project that would try to show a map of clan lands. I did make a start at this some time ago but it was getting so time consuming that I abandoned the project.

The problem is that when you ask a clan to define their clan lands they ask in what time frame. That is because over the centuries they may well have gained or lost lands due to conflict over the years. And so that's one major problem.

To try and accommodate that I thought I'd show maps of clan lands as they were today. And then I'd do another set showing where else they were in their history. That did seem to be the way forward but I would also have to define the time frame for those historical lands.

The next problem was getting clans to define where these lands are. That became a major issue as most wouldn't respond to my emails and the information was usually not available on their web sites.

The next issue is to do with defining the maps themselves. I used the www.streetmap.co.uk web site as they are based on the UK ordinance survey maps and would show castle remains and battlefields. But the problem was in trying to work with the site to show the best possible map of the areas as often they wouldn't fit onto one screen. I ended up doing a text description where I embedded the central map but then had to explain under it that you had to scroll left three clicks to get to such and such as the western boundary or 1 click up to get to such and such as the northern boundary, etc.

And of course when it came to the historical boundaries often places they used to have clan lands are well away from where they are now. That meant getting these other lands defined and then yes another map showing where they were along with another description.

And of course where you hit the major clans like Campbell and MacDonald that was going to take ages.

None the less I believe this is work that should be done by all clan societies but I have as yet to see any of them doing this. I'd be happy to donate the work to the streetmap site as they did say if I ever managed to document this they'd be happy to make this an option on their site.

Given the work involved it would need someone that has time on their hands, would be interested in the challenge and be able to contact clans and clan societies or other interested parties to get this information.

And so... should such a wonderful person like this exist I'd love to hear from them <grin>

Alastair

Re: Looking for some help on Scottish Clan Lands

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...h_clan_map.png

Click on the map to enlarge
    Last edited by Slichk_o_dine; 13 December 2010, 19:25.
    Stand Fast Craigellachie

Comment

Thanks for that... only problem is that it doesn't show place names and there are a number of clans missing from it.

Actually I have one like that at http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/clanmap.htm

I think it's a bit better as it at least shows some more place names.

I also have another on the Highland Clans at http://www.electricscotland.com/webc...lanmap_150.jpg

This one one takes a while to load as it's very detailed and has many place names so needed to be very large to enable you make out the names. It is however accurate to the Acts of the Scottish Parliament circa 1598.

Alastair

Comment

Wow very impressive,Thanks Alastair.
        Stand Fast Craigellachie

Comment

Allie,

What years are you most interested in? I can see what I can do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotland-Clan-Map.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	23449

http://mappery.com/maps/Scotland-Clan-Map.jpg
          Last edited by Kelly d; 14 December 2010, 06:16.
          kellyd:redrose:

Comment

well it needs to start from where the clan lands are today Kelly. Then we get into any discussions of any other lands the clan used to reside in at various times in their history.

And so I'd really see it as an ongoing project but starting with the clan lands of today. As you'll be aware many clans did move from their traditional lands for a variety of reasons and to be a good project we need to highlight those. It would help folk doing genealogy to know where else to look for clan and family connections.

I might add that once we have detailed the clan lands then the next part of the project would be to get as many pictures as we can of the whole of the clan lands.

Alastair

Comment

I couldn't help much in the short term, but lest you feel alone in the challenges, I can add that the same task is very much alive with respect to aboriginal traditional lands in British Columbia. Defining ancestral territories is an issue in treaty negotiations and various other negotiation processes, and has lead to all sorts of litigation and conflict with very little will to achieve objective resolution. The historical records are sparse and oral histories vary. Geographic Information System mapping is helpful in some instances to demonstrate alternatives and changes. While the issues and stakes may be more "alive" than clan territorial definition in Scotland, it's good to know we're not alone and perhaps can learn from each other.

Comment

That's interesting... I have only just concluded a history of British Columbia on the site. I'll be doing the biography of Sir James Douglas next. It looks to me that many records can be found in the Hudson Bay Company records.

Alastair

Comment

Here is a map that is declared to be modern but not 100% guaranteed.

I don't understand why it has Stewart on here. They no longer exist in Scotland other than the usurpers!
                  Attached Files
                  kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Visit Scotland have been trying to show possible clan tours which you can get to at http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/clan_tours.htm

They do have maps up for each of the clans they feature.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                    X