Harry Lauder
    Kay's Edinburgh Portraits
    William McTaggart, R.S.A., V.P.R.S.W.
    Tales of the Scottish Peasantry
    Holiday Cottages Travel Article
    A History of British Columbia
    History of America
    Ten Tales
    An Historical Disquisition on India (New Book)
    A Sassenach's Stravaig
    Duncan McNeil (1877-1933)

Electric Scotland News
    ----------------------
    As we're getting very near to Christmas you're no doubt busy sending out Christmas Cards and to that end I was working on our ScotCards web site as it's been some time since I visited it myself. I forgot that it had an audio facility where you can record a voice greeting. It took me a wee while to figure out how to send it but eventually figured it out. I posted up a thread on our community giving instructions how to do that which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.org/show...audio-messages

-----

I also purchased some demo software where I can capture the screen and do a voice over explaining what I am doing. I've posted some of these into our forum at http://www.electricscotland.org/foru...eaching-Videos

There are actually two types of videos... one where I am just talking into the camera... and the other where I'm using the screen software. I'd certainly be interested in getting your comments about them and which you prefer or indeed if you like both formats. Also if you have found it difficult to find anything on our sites and would like me to either talk about it or build an onscreen tutorial then please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

-----

I might be getting in some articles on the history of tourism in Scotland which should be interesting. I've also been placed on the VisitScotland media distribution list so might get in some interesting articles from that.

-----

I'm starting to work on a book about Cavendish, it's history and it's people. This is an area in Prince Edward Island (PEI). I was re-reading it again and I just love that book. I did take a couple of chapters from it for the site around 6 years ago but re-reading it again I've decided to work on publishing the complete book as it has many interesting snippets of what life was like way back then.

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/rss/whatsnew.php

Electric Scotland Community
    ---------------------------
    I see we're getting a steady increase in new members since we fixed out email problem so that's great to see. As we're here for the longterm we hope with the Facebook interface and the YouTube video facility in messages it will continue to grow. Mind if you want to get into serious discussions about something and there isn't an appropriate forum then let me know and I can create one.

I did as it happens put up a set of wee videos on Scottish Golf Courses the other day (around 4 mins in length) which you can watch at http://www.electricscotland.org/foru...ay.php/53-Golf

I also added the Beatles and Paul McCartney to our music forum. One was of Paul doing a compilation at the Superbowl game and the other was the roof top concert the Beatles did which I believe was the last public one they gave before splitting up.

Our community can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.org/forum.php

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
    --------------------
    This weeks issue is now available compiled by Donnie MacNeill and I must say this is an excellent issue. It focusses on education with some excellent articles and other topics. I actually read the whole thing from top to bottom. Well done Donnie!

You can get to the Flag at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Geikie's Etchings
    -----------------
    This week we've added more articles...

Boiling Potatoes
    "Tak' Tent, Jenny"

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ikie/index.htm

Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland
    ----------------------------------------
    And of the Border Raids, Forays and Conflicts by John Parker Lawson (1839). This is a new publication we're starting on which is in 3 volumes. We intend to post up 2 or 3 stories each week until complete.

This week we've added...

The Bishops Leap - 1567
    Marys Surrender At Carberry - 1567
    Battle Of Langside - 1568

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/wars/

Robert Chambers
    ---------------
    John Henderson found his 2 volume "Songs of Scotland" which we both agree is a fabulous resource and so we are going to add this to the site in small chuncks in pdf format for you to enjoy.

This week we added...

Pages 654 to 691 which now completes this book.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ers_robert.htm

Lays of the Covenanters
    -----------------------
    By James Dodds (1880)

This week we've added...

The Dove and the Ruin
    John Knox administrating the Sacrament at Calder House

And this now completes this book.

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/covenanters/

Glencreggan: or A Highland Home in Cantire
    ------------------------------------------
    By Cuthbert Bede (1861)

This week we put up Chapter XII - Glenbarr

We have not far to go. Here, where I have been standing to sketch, is a wicket-gate admitting us to a walk that will lead us down a steep bank and under lofty trees, immediately in front of the Abbey. So steep is the bank that the Abbey, which is at the foot of it, is not fifty yards from the village street, whose houses are built on a much higher elevation than the Abbey chimneys. The village is shut out from the Abbey grounds by a stone wall and a profusion of shrubs and trees, and to all appearance the Abbey lies in a sequestered glen, far away from human habitation. As a matter of course the house lies low, although the dip of the glen slightly falls from it to tbe river, which runs at a short distance from the house, the ground then ascending sharply on the other bank to a considerable elevation. In the front of the Abbey the glen widens sufficiently to allow of a tolerably open space of greensward, dotted with fine timber, amid which the carriage-drive winds into the high road at the foot of the steep hill leading up the village; but in rear of the house, and within four hundred yards of the front, the glen narrows to a rocky defile, through which the river burrows, and amid great boulders and stony fragments brawls its way to the Atlantic. The steep sides of the glen are densely covered with foliage, much of the timber being of very fine growth. The late Colonel Macalister added considerably to the Grlenbarr plantations, which, being well attended to and protected by their position from the influence of high winds and sea air, thrive far beyond expectation. The colonel's son, Keith Macalister, Esq., is the present proprietor of Glenbarr, and is one of the few landowners in Cantire who are resident upon their estates. Next to the Duke of Argyle, Mr. Macalister is the largest proprietor in Cantire, so that the example of residence set by him has the greater importance.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/glencreggan/

Harry Lauder
    ------------
    we've added another song for you to listen to...

Shouther To Shouther

This page can be found at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...derson/lauder/

Kay's Edinburgh Portraits
    -------------------------
    A Series of Anecdotal Biographies chiefly of Scotchmen, Mostly by James Paterson and Edited by James Maidment (1885)

This week we have added...

Angelo Tremamondo, Esq., Riding-Master
    Adam Smith, LL.D., Author of the "Wealth of Nations"
    Vincent Lunardi, the Celebrated Aeronaut
    James Tytler, Chemist

Here is how the account of Adam Smith starts...

Adam Smith, LL.D., was born at Kirkaldy, on the 5th of June, 1723, a few months after the death of his father, who was Comptroller of the Customs of that town. His mother was Margaret Douglas, daughter of Mr. Douglas of Strathenry. His constitution was very delicate, and required all the care and attention which a kind parent could bestow. She is reported to have treated him with unlimited indulgence; but this produced no injurious effects upon his disposition, and during the long period of sixty years, he was enabled to repay her kindness by every token which filial gratitude could inspire. A singular incident happened to him when about three years old. Whilst with his mother at Strathenry, where she was on a visit, he was one day amusing himself at the door of the house, when he was stolen by a party of vagrants, known in Scotland by the name of tinkers— Anglice, Egyptians or Muggers. Fortunately he was immediately missed, and his uncle pursuing them, found them located in Leslie Wood, where he was rescued from their hands.

At a proper age young Smith was sent to the parish school of Kirkaldy, then taught by Mr. David Miller, a teacher, in his day, of considerable repute. In 1737, he repaired to the University of Glasgow, where he remained till 1740. Being elected as an exhibitioner on Snell's foundation, he went to Baliol College, Oxford, and resided there for seven years. Mr. Snell's foundation is perhaps one of the largest and most liberal in Britain. In the year 1688, he bequeathed an estate in Warwickshire for the support of Scottish students at Baliol College, Oxford, who had studied for some years at the University of Glasgow, in which the patronage is vested. They now amount to ten, and may remain at Oxford for ten years.

You can read the rest of this account at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/kays/vol119.htm

The other articles can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/kays/index.htm

William McTaggart, R.S.A., V.P.R.S.W.
    -------------------------------------
    Painter and Artist and a man of considerable talents.

Added another chapter to this most engaging book...

Chapter V. Academician: Part II., 1880-1889

If the year 1880 has no special significance in William McTaggart's life, which went on for several years afterwards much as it had done previously, or in his art, which continued to develop uninterruptedly, it is as convenient a point as any, between his election as Academician in 1870 and his removal to Broomieknowe in 1889, at which to begin a new chapter. During the first half of that period his outlook and method had been passing through a consistent and marked evolution. In one sense, it is true, the work then done was only a development from his earlier style, for the essential feelings expressed regarding life and nature were common to both. On the other hand, in response to inner promptings to express these sentiments more fully, his technique, while growing in mastery, had, with the expansion of his aims, gradually changed in character until towards the close of the seventies even some of his admirers thought it "bold to the very verge of licence." Throughout the decade which followed his painting was marked more and more by breadth, certainty and power, and a conception of the primary importance of ensemble of effect and unity of impression dominated his art more fully. Even in the pictures painted before 1870 he had seen "the parts as parts, but with a feeling of the whole," and from the early seventies at least the feeling of the whole was clearly the leading issue with him. Figure incident, as before, continued during this, his middle, period (1870-1889) a principal interest ; but as the years passed, it became increasingly difficult to say whether his pictures should be described as figures with landscape or landscape with figures. Gradually he was approaching the time when in his conception man and nature were to form a cosmic whole. Moreover, as a prominent newspaper scoffingly complained in 1881, he was not content to compromise with natural effect, but kept persistently aiming at the representation of outdoor sunshine, though sometimes only succeeding in expressing half the truth. His achievement, however, if still unappreciated or misunderstood in certain quarters, was exercising a strong influence upon the younger Scottish painters, many of whom studied under him in the Academy school, and, rather later, had a distinct, though indirect, effect upon the uprising of the group of talented artists who emerged in Glasgow towards 1890. It had also aroused the warm advocacy of cultured critics, such as the late J. M. Gray and Mr. G. R. Halkett, both of whom considered that, for vividly successful rendering of brilliant sunshine and open-air effect, he stood alone. Simultaneously, however, some of the older Academicians were much perturbed by, what they considered, the revolutionary tendencies of his style. In intimate talk, they wondered "what has come over McTaggart," and expressed fears that he was leading the youngsters a queer dance.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...rt_william.htm

Tales of the Scottish Peasantry
    -------------------------------
    By Alexander and John Bethune (1884)

We have added several more tales...

The Illegitimate
    Things and Thoughts
    Jonathan Moudiwort
    Chapter I. Indications of Character - Small Beginnings
    Chapter II. Ways and means indispensable to rising in the World

The tale of "The Illegitimate" starts...

While most of our large towns have been rapidly increasing, there are perhaps few old people who do not recollect several hamlets, or smaller villages, which have now almost entirely disappeared. Among those the Kirkton may be numbered: the improvements and alterations of the present century have nearly blotted its very name from the face of the earth ; and such as it was, it can never be again. Standing at the base of a range of low hills, which screened it from the northern blast, it presented the very beau-ideal of irregularity. The houses, of which there might be between thirty and forty, stood in detached groups, with open spaces and garden ground between. Around most of the gardens, a row of trees had been planted, which, after having attained the growth of more than a century, gave the whole, when seen from a distance, the appearance of an open grove. The church, however, which, with its time-worn walls, painted windows, roof of grey slates, and antique belfry, stood upon a circular mound near the middle of the village, rose above the trees, and was seen from the surrounding country. Around the church lay the parish cemetery, separated from the rest of the houses by a low wall, within which the dust of many generations seemed to have augmented the original soil, till it was nearly as high as the top of the enclosure. The cemetery itself abounded almost to excess witli that species of erect tombstone, which some one has somewhere designated "spectral." In some places they stood huddled together as if for company's sake, and in others solitary, as men are apt to do when disgusted with the world. Most of them were painted white, so that when seen in the far spent twilight of a summer evening, or by the waning moon on a winter night, a superstitious individual might have easily furnished himself from among them with a whole host of sheeted apparitions. These monuments, several of which evidently belonged to an early period, showed various degrees of perfection in the art. Some were smoothly wrought, and had all their lines and angles entire; others, of an older date, were so overgrown with moss, that they appeared to have neither lines nor angles j some were covered with quaint devices—some "with nameless sculpture decked"—while over a few of the oldest, the obliterating hand of time had passed, sweeping name, date, devices, and all before it, and leaving those whose memories they were intended to perpetuate, in as much obscurity as the "unhonoured dead." Around the churchyard on every side, and separated from it in some places only by a narrow footpath, the small smoky houses were congregated close, as if their original possessors had coveted these situations from their proximity to that "land of, forgetfulness" to which they were at last to be removed. Below the church, on the north side, stood the mill from which the mill burn, making a circuit to the westward, swept nearly half round the village—now ready to overflow its banks, and anon' diminished to the drippings of a scanty stream, as the dam above chanced to be open or shut.

You can read the rest of this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...chapter11.html

And you can read the other chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/tales/index.htm

Holiday Cottages Travel Article
    -------------------------------
    Golf tours – Scotland's impressive golfing culture.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/travel/holiday36.htm

A History of British Columbia
    -----------------------------
    By R E Gosnell (1906)

We have added the followimg chapters...

Chapter VI
    Fur Traders and Gold Seekers
    Chapter VII
    A Political Outline
    Chapter VIII
    Organization of the Mainland
    Chapter IX
    Union of the Colonies

Chapter VI starts...

In these old days before the gold rush, the history of the Northwest coast of America concerns itself solely with the trade in peltries, the "Company of Adeventurers and Traders trading into Hudson's Bay," and the native tribes with whom they traded are the only two classes thrown on the canvas.

The year 1843 is a turning point, Fort Vancouver on the Columbia is near its end, the glory of the great McLoughlin is becoming dimmed, a new strong man holds the reins of power, a new city is building "Where East is West and West is East beside our land-locked blue." It is the parting of the ways.

There were sound reasons for placing the Hudson's Bay Company Fort the nucleus of the city of Victoria, where it was placed. The American claims to the possession of the "Oregon country," the first low threats of "fifty-four forty or fight" showed the wisdom of a stronghold north of the settlements on the Columbia, and in the sheltered harbors of Victoria and Esquimalt the fortbuilders fondly saw the outfitting base for the growing whale fleet of the Pacific.

The site was not chosen on the impulse of the moment. As far back as 1837 Captain McNeill explored the south of Vancouver Island and found "an excellent harbor and a fine open country along the sea shore apparently well adapted for both tillage and pasturage." Governor Simpson, going north from Fort Vancouver in the "Beaver" in 1841, remarks "the southern end of Vancouver Island is well adapted for cultivation, for, in addition to a moderate climate, it possesses excellent harbors and abundance of timber. It will doubtless become in time the most valuable section of the whole coast above California." Simpson's word carried great weight. For thirty-seven years he was the chief officer in America of the Hudson's Bay Company; from eastern Canada to the Red River country he wandered and from Oregon to Alaska, and through this vast commercial empire his rule was unquestioned and his word was law. When, then, Simpson in person before the London directors advised a complete change of base from the Columbia, and suggested the site of the present city of Victoria as the location of the strong fort, the new regime may be said to have already begun. What were the advantages of Camosun (the Indian name of Victoria Harbor? It was near the Ocean and yet protected from it. Great islands were north of it, and to a huge continent it was nature's entrepot. It stood at the crossway of the waters, Fuca Strait, Puget Sound, the Gulf of Georgia; and as whaling operations set northward might not a northern rendezvous and trading base be welcomed? The whole life and training of the Hudson's Bay servants made for keen ob-servation, deep cogitation and careful balancing of cause and effect. Who shall say how far an insight into empire expansion was theirs, and to what extent they foresaw trade with the Alaskan north, the Mexican south, the near-by Orient and the far off isles of the sea? The long-headed, keen-witted, silent Scots immediately connected with this movement were John McLoughlin, James Douglas, John Wark, Roderick Finlayson, Tolmie, Anderson and McNeill, all graduates of that stern Alma Mater the "Company of Adventurers and Traders trading into Hudson's Bay," British North America's University of integrity and self-reliance and self-restraint.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter06.htm

You can read the other chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...a/bc/index.htm

History of America
    ------------------
    by William Robertson

Having just completed his History of Scotland we thought we'd also bring you his History of America. You'll find this at the foot of his page with the Preface and Book 1 up and we've now added Book 2 at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...on_william.htm

Ten Tales
    ---------
    By Sir Harry Lauder (1908)

We found this charming wee book and thought we'd add it to the site. We have the first two tales up and now added the third tale...

The Miner's Bairn

and you can view these at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...entalesndx.htm

An Historical Disquisition
    --------------------------
    Concerning the knowledge which the ancients had of India and the progress of trade with that country prior to the discovery of the passage to it by the Cape of Good Hope with an appendix containing observations on the Civil Policy, the Laws and Judicial Proceedings, the Arts, the Sciences, and Religious Institutions of the Indians by William Roberson, D.D. (1822).

This is part of the works of William Robertson that we've bringing you. Also as India is now our 5th most visiting country I hope our visitors from that country enjoy this story of their history. It's actually a great read and this first chapter talks much about how people traded around the world in these distant times.

The Preface starts...

The perusal of Major Rennell's Memoir for illustrating his Map of Indostan, one of the most valuable geographical treatises that has appeared in any age or country, gave rise to the following Work. It suggested to me the idea of examining more fully than he had done in the Introductory Book to my History of America, into the knowledge which the Ancients had of India, and of considering what is certain, what is obscure, and what is fabulous, In the accounts of that country which they have handed down to us. In undertaking this inquiry, I had originally no other object than my own amusement and instruction: But in carrying it on, and consulting with diligence the authors of antiquity, some facts, hitherto unobserved, and many which had not been examined with proper attention, occurred; new views opened; my ideas gradually extended and became more interesting; until at length I imagined, that the result of my researches might prove amusing and instructive to others, by exhibiting such a view of the various modes in which intercourse with India had been carried on from the earliest times, as might shew how much that great branch of commerce has contributed, in every age, to increase the wealth and power of" the nations which possessed it.

You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...a/indiandx.htm

A Sassenach's Stravaig
    ----------------------
    An English contact of mine, Roger Whitehead, has for the last three years been meandering around Britain and northern Europe in his small motorhome. He spent four months of last year in Scotland, and has kindly agreed to post here an account of his visit in 7 parts and the 1st part is now available at http://www.electricscotland.com/trav...iteheadndx.htm

Duncan McNeil (1877-1933)
    -------------------------
    By John Henderson of Stirling, Scotland in collaboration with Mark Thompson of County Down, Ulster.

Some time after 1900, Duncan McNeil of Glasgow became the Minister of a Baptist Church in Orr Street near Bridgeton Cross, Glasgow where his singing ministry resulted in him recording a number of 78s with Beltona in the 1920s. He also composed the lyrics and music for the many hymns which eventually formed his own self-titled hymnal. He travelled across the Atlantic in 1927 and pastored in Kimball Avenue United Evangelical Church in Chicago from 1928 until 1930.

You can read more about him, see some of his hymns and even here him singing a couple at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ill_duncan.htm

And to finish...

Unnerstaunin Each Ither

A Scot working in England, who is also a rugby referee, was in charge of a match where one team had a Scottish coach who was an ex-pat model of the wee, belligerent, ginger moaner well known north of the border.

Midway through the first half, the exasperated referee approached the coach and told him:

"Listen, pal, we've only got room for one Scottish halfwit in this game and that's me - shut it or you're off the touchline."

The rest of the game passed in silence, with a player asking him at the end:

"How did you manage to shut our coach up?"

"I spoke to him in his native language", he replied.

And that's it for now and hope you all have a good weekend :-)

Alastair
    http://www.electricscotland.com

Re: Newsletter December 17th 2010

Thanks Alistair.....
    Is the book of which your are speaking the one I gave you as a gift ?? I hope you post it, I am interested in that story...

Thanks...
    Lu..

Comment

What book is that Lu?

Alastair

Comment

Alastair, I loved the section on Rev Duncan McNeil.

I would have been a small schoolboy in Giffnock at the same time when he died in Glasgow.

I did not see the words for the second file 'Don't be downhearted', am I missing something?

The recordings have a flavor of Harry Lauder's early work !!

Many thanks to John and Mark for this memory.

Ranald

Comment

Working...
        X