Bluegrass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluegrass

Take equal measures of Irish, Scottish and Welsh folk. Add in a pinch of blues and a pinch of jazz and you have bluegrass.

Re: Bluegrass

In the video above, this ensemble toured for a while in, I think, 2006. The announcer and guitar player is Peter Rowan. The mandolin player is a young lady, Sharon Gilchrist, originally from Texas and now living in New Mexico. The bass player, Bryn Davies, originally from California and now living in Tennessee; and last, but not least, Tony Rice showing us how to cross pick on the guitar. They released an album titled Quartet that is well worth a listen.

Comment

Here is a short video of the Kathy Kallick Band playing "Get Along Home Cindy"

Comment

Here's some upscale stuff. Put on a tuxedo and dust off your opera glasses.

Comment

When Jerry Garcia wasn't performing with the Grateful Dead, he performed with two spinoff groups: New Riders of the Purple Sage who performed an electic mix of country and Rock. He also performed some really good bluegrass with Old and in the Way.

Comment

When he wasn't in the studio recording bluegrass albums with Jerry Garcia, Vassar Clements was touring with any number of people adding his distinctive style of fiddling.

Comment

Attached is a Washington DC group, "The Seldom Scene" performing City of New Oreans.

Comment

Tom, I don't know HOW I missed this in the postings!!! I am a true, dyed in the wool, bluegrass lover. I particularly like fiddling, the old time way, and guitar playing as well. (I have a guitar, but do not play yet. Have cracks in fingers in winter!) A few ??. Who is the fiddle player on Old & In the Way? Also have felt that it was too bad that Tony Rice died of cancer, as he was not only a good guitarist, but also singer as well. OK...just wanted to let you know of a recent couple of cd's I bought....(1.) The Bluegrass Sessions, Tales From the Acoustic Planet, Vol. 2. Here's list of players: Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Stuart Duncan, Tony Rice, Mark Schatz & spec guests: Vassar Clements, John Hartford, & Earl Scruggs. Another really good one is ( 2.) Hand-Picked, 25 years of Bluegrass on Rounder Records (2 cd's)& this one is fast becoming my very favorite, as there's such a variety of performers: such as, Jim & Jesse, Byron Berline, Del McCoury, J.D. Crowe & the new South, etc. There's 49 tracks on this one. I hope you'll answer back, as it's great to know another bluegrass music enthusiast!! Joan

Comment

FriedaKateM re: bluegrass...

I will reply to your post, hopefully in order of some of your points.

I love fiddling too, but learned the hard way to stick with instruments have frets. The fiddler in the "old and in the way" and "lonesome fiddler blues" attachments above was a gentleman by the name of Vassar Clements who enjoyed a 50 plus year performing career (he died in 2005). He came to my attention 39 years ago as a very young college student, when Vassar recorded two albums with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

As far as your CDs, I haven't seen them yet but do enjoy Sam Bush (mandolin), Jerry Douglas (resinator guitar) Tony Rice (guitar) the late Johnny Harford (multi-insturmentalist)

I became acquainted with Tony Rice in my college years as he was a member of the newgrass group Bluegrass Alliance. He is one of the most talented cross pickers in contemporary acoustic music. He has not been able to sing in years due to a throat injury. By the way, Tony is alive and well the last I heard. His brother, Larry Rice was a well known mandolin player died from cancer in 2006. You can listen to and download some of his music free at the website Mandolin Cafe http://www.mandolincafe.com/mp3/

I like a lot of the older bluegrass but have really gotten excited about some of the newer experimental stuff that performers like Tony Rice, Sam Bush, and Jerry Douglas are performing.

Comment

Tom...I also have a DVD, which was kinda hard to get, i.e., Transatlantic Sessions 3 with Jerry Douglas & Aly Bain. It is basically a mix between bluegrass, & gaelic/celtic kind of music. It's at a place out in the country, Strathgarry House, seems like a bed n' breakfast/hotel. It is intimate, and the acoustics are great. I've still not seen all of it, as tend to take a little at a time...I think I've watched/heard the 1st disc, but not the 2nd. Try it you'll like it. Joan

Comment

That Jerry Douglas would record with Aly Bain doesn't surprise me. From time to time a number of American performers travel to the British Islands and spend time with performers there. Kathy Mattea has spent time in Scotland soaking up the music scene there. Allison Krause has spent time with the Chieftains. It sort of like getting re-exposed to some of the the roots of American music. I see music as a large river delta. To stay healthy, channels need to separate for a time, merge briefly with other channels then separate again. Without this it, music, like a delta, becomes stale and loses its vitality.

Comment

FriedaKateM re: Transatlantic Sessions with Jerry Douglas & Aly Bain

Is this what you were referring to?

Comment

Here is another video of Vassar Clements and friends playing Orange Blossom Special

According to the Wikipedia article, the fiddle tune "Orange Blossom Special", about the passenger train of the same name, was written by Ervin T. Rouse (1917-1981) in 1938. The original recording was created by Ervin and Gordon Rouse in 1939. It is considered the best known fiddle tune of the twentieth century and is often called simply The Special. It has been referred to as "the fiddle player's national anthem".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_..._Special_(song)

Comment

I have a CD titled "The Pizza Tapes" which is a recording of an informal, living room Jam session with David Grissman, Tony Rice, and Jerry Garcia. I listen to it every now and then and thoroughly enjoy it.
                            author of "A Faerie's History of Caledonia" (a short history of Scotland - with a twist).
                            http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34462
                            author page:
                            http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/jeffmaurer

Comment

The Pizza tapes are awesome. Hold on to them, they'll be worth something someday.

Comment

Working...
                              X