Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop

You know the word 'shop' when used as a verb might be problematic. It is, by the strictest definition, a four letter word. I think we should have a care typing four letter words on a website where young, impressionable eyes can behold said words without adult supervision and guidance.

Terms such as 'commerce' might be more acceptable. Unfortunately I do not believe this word does not have a verb form.

Cheers

Re: Shop

<grin> Would ecommerce be a better word?

Alastair

Comment

Here's an experience for you all: I recently renovated my kitchen...with all new everything. The old house had this ancient old metal cabineted kitchen, with '70's kitchen carpet, & extremely crummy atmosphere. I shopped online at Home Depot, but found that the same prices "online" were different when inside the store. I had picked a Pergo flooring, at a good price, however, upon checking same, it was much more. So, eventually, I picked out, & ordered 20% off on sale, stock kitchen cabinets, but with a few of them having to be special ordered. Then I ordered special order flooring, & countertops, etc. (trying to shorten this...!) I bought some things online, including cabinet pulls from Overstock.com, then ordered my stainless steel sink from Faucet-Warehouse.com, finding one on "clearance", a $500. double bowl sink for $167, Elkay. I even purchased a stainless steel faucet later from same, although I obviously didn't know much about plumbing, as thought it would fit sink, didn't. Had to return it, with me paying shipping. Had local contractor, but I was the "foreman", working out probs with him. My electrician I had was local, had him work previously, & paid him separately myself. Same with plumber whom I knew previously, & paid separately. If we were on HGTV, I would get some kind of prize, as my total costs were much lower than what they boast. At this point, though, I'm having to "watch my pennies" as am still paying on my charge acct. Close to being done with that, though. The project for me started in late Nov. till Jan. 31st. I also myself did ALL of the painting, & reworked the door, sanding, filling, etc. I've done a few touch-ups off & on recently. It's funny that after doing such a huge project, it's hard to physically slow down! Mostly, I either will pre-shop online, and if I find it's then cheaper in store, I buy there. OR vice versa. I also shop for groceries generally at an ALDI, & a Sam's Club, only ONCE A MONTH. I believe that not only does it save time, but also money. Also it's my opinion, that if you stay home, you'll also save $. Another thing, it took me several years to save up for this! Joan

Comment

Well done you Joan... that was quite some project. I'm told that kitchen renovations are usually the most expensive part of the house. I'm huming and hawing about doing something with my kitchen but it sure won't be this year.

I've just splurged out for an Electric Fireplace and a new TV to mount over it. The fireplace is 220 lbs and was quite some struggle to get it into the house. It cost $1299.00 + tax but have to say I'm delighted with it. The fireplace surround looks like it is a permament part of the house and the lighting effect looks like it's real or at least a gas effect. There are 5 settings for the flames and 3 settings for the embers and there are also 3 setting for the lighting effects from a built in down light. As I have central air I don't need to heat but I did try it and it sure warms up the room fast. I can of course have the lighting effects on without the heat.

I'm just waiting for the installers to come and fit the TV so they can move the antena to let me center the fireplace. They will mount it on the wall and hide all the cables. The TV allows wireless access to the Internet and has a number of widgets built in so I can stream movies over the Internet onto it and also share my computer screen. I've also got a universal remote control which they'll configure for me so I can use the TV, cable box and DVD all with one remote and they give me a training session when it's all up and running. They are also going to hard wire an ethernet connection from my home router into the TV so I can get full speed streaming of movies.

So by next Wednesday it should all be installed and working properly. I'm sure looking forward to it.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
        X