Scottish Military serving in Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Military serving in Ireland

Can anyone help me with this problem. I am in Australia and have an ancestor Daniel McFarlane who was sent here as a convict in 1826. He was found guilty of stealing a sheep and tried in Cork, Ireland and transported to the colony of NSW for 7 years.
    All his records claim that he was a "soldier serving in Ireland" and that he was born in Pershire, Scotland in or around 1804 (he seems to change his birth date depending on which document one looks at). I have tried several avenues and, despite my best efforts, can find no information about any Scottish soldiers serving in Ireland in the period say from 1820 to 1825. Daniel was a groom in the army apparently. I would think the information about him being a soldier/groom would be correct as it appears on government documents and convict indents.
    Can anyone give me any leads as to where I can find information about the Scottish serving as soldiers in Ireland in the period I am looking at please. I would be most grateful for any leads.
    Kerri

Re: Scottish Military serving in Ireland

Hello Kerri.... and welcome... Do you use Roots Web ? if not go to the following link

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

It is a giant of a site, and will take time to find your way around,

You can select and join sites dealing with one district, eg I use Perthshire', and in there you can put you message for help...

I will have to check the site, and find where you join a specific area, and will come back here with the answer... I hope

Regards

Ranald

Comment

Thank you Ranald, I would appreciate it. I looked at Perthshire on rootsweb but it was feast or famine, I'm afraid. i would like to know how to narrow the search or even perhaps begin a new one abut the military information I require.
      Kerri

Comment

Hello Kerri

Possibly best to print out this message, before logging on the RootsWeb

Having started with the link I gave to Roots Web

scroll down to 'Mailing Lists' (on left side)

Then select 'Index (Browse All Lists)'

Scroll down and select 'International'

There you again have to scroll down to the line one past that starting with 'Poland. e.g the next line second last entry is 'Scotland' click that name

Now scroll past Clans' to 'Perthshire', click and select 'Subscribe to Perthshire-L' (NOTICE the -L)

You will receive an email window, which if correct names etc, just send. DO NOT ADD ANYTHING

You will receive an email to confirm, and in future should there be any messages you will receive them by email. You can also set down your question, which might be about birth date etc.

Any problem just holler.... remember I am 'dull o' hearing' !

Ranald
        Last edited by Ranald; 28 December 2010, 18:48. Reason: edit

Comment

Thanks Ranald.
          You are obviusly used to explaining things to blondes!!!! It was very clear and I have followed your instructions. I'm in! Now I will see what I can find out.
          Kerri

Comment

Hi Kerri,

Another good genealogy site is "Rootschat"

The Scottish section of the site is rather good and there are quite a few knowledgeable contributors/researchers. Also there is a facility where some people in a specific area will "look up" information for you.

Rootschat

2.8 Million Postings - Fast Free Family History Help
            RootsChat.com is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history roots or local history. The focus is on Ireland and the British Isles. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you, the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it. Find your roots!

Share images and files: With RootsChat you can share images of documents that you have, or indeed GEDcom files (from Family History software), and text files. These kind of files cannot contain viruses and can be safely shared here on RootsChat. Start a RootsChat today!

Communicate Easily: Your email can be hidden from the world on RootsChat if you wish, and yet you can still receive messages from other users by the use of private messages. The less you give out your email address publicly, the less likely you are to receive viruses or unwanted emails. Join in now!

The link is....... http://www.rootschat.com/

Gordon.

Comment

Hello Kerri, you message on the Perthshire forum has just been received by me, so lets hope you get plenty of replies.

To me, this is how the Internet should be used and work for the benefit of ALL

Ranald

Comment

Hi Guys,

The Highland Museum just sent out a wonderful video explaining about the Highlanders and how they were basically forced to serve in the Army or be cleared out during the years listed above. MacFarlane is of the Clan Robertson from Perthshire. This will match up with documentation I have been doing on the Jacobite or rather the head guy of the Circle of Gentlemen. It is an idea but I bet Kerri's ancestor is from the Highlanders who had no choice but to serve. I would check Perthshire and the British Army archives.
                kellyd:redrose:

Comment

I am already dong that Kelly. However the Black Watch site is on holiday until after the New Year.

Don't worry Kerri, I am ready to follow that up...

Ranald

Comment

Was there a "73rd Regiment" serving at this time in Ireland which had come from Perth? It may be nothing ..... but I have had a little hint and wondered if it could be something. i had already dismissed it from my research years ago but am now looking at it again.
                    Does anyone know?

Kerri

Comment

I was keeping quiet until I could contact the museum.... but remember we need to find out if they have more information on the 73rd. But it will have to wait until the 6th of January.

But LOOK AT THIS

http://www.theblackwatch.co.uk/index/the-73rd-regiment

Ranald

Comment

When I first got that little clue about the 73rd years ago, I tried to investigate it but couldn't find (via the Internet) any record of the 73rd serving in Ireland so I just gave up on it. But I now will revisit this clue as it seems it may be important after all. Terrific link, thank you so much!

Might you permit me to say that you are living in the part of the world I would love to be! Apart from the fact that EVERY one of my ancestors including Daniel was sent out here on a free trip courtesy of the British Government, (so I am a true blue Aussie) I was devastated when I discovered that my 4xgreat grandmother was transported here for on-selling stolen goods (she didn't actually take any part in the theft) to feed her hungry family. The Government not only sent her but sent her four baby girls (ages 3-9 years ) along with her and left two other children behind!!!! I have loved all things Scottish since ever I can remember and get quite "high" on the sound of bagpipes and the taste of Edinburgh Rock (the soft kind!). I could never understand my incredible attachment to Scotland and it's culture (and I knew NOTHING of it before I began to research my family tree!) It is a most beautiful place and full of beautiful people!!! Now to find Daniel's kin!

Thanks so much for you help - it is so difficult when one is so far away from the research facilities one needs to be using.

kerri

Comment

Have now checked those three Donald McFarlanes on "Find My Past' and none of them are the right Donald.

Does the Museum itself keep records of past memebrs of the regiments goig back that far?

Kerri

Comment

Kerri,

Our Ranald is very good at finding tid-bits when others cannot. Everything over here tends to shut down for the two weeks during the Christmas/Hogmanay season. Wishing you all the best!
                            kellyd:redrose:

Comment

All of the records for Scottish soldiers are held at the National Archives in London - known as "Kew" Here's the link to their website. You can also write to them to get them to do a search for you.
                              http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X