• Show
Clear All

Re: Scottish Military serving in Ireland

Thank you,

Kerri

Comment

Kerri,
      The British Government didn't know what a favour they were doing your ancestors by transporting them here :smile:
      I'm an expat Scot on the NSW Central Coast and will have been here for 40 years next July.......in God's country :laugh2::wink:

Elda

Comment

Once was Elda, but no longer in Sydney I'm afraid..............
        kerri

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I'm back to square one with my Daniel McFarlane (McFarland, McFarlan) and the question of his service in the Scottish Military serving in Ireland. It SEEMS that if a soldier "played up" whilst serving in the period we are considering, he may not have necessarily been dealt with by being thrown out of the army but rather sent to this most unpopular posting in the Antipodes!!! It was apparently a way of getting rid of troublemakers!

So Daniel (or Donald Alexander as he might have actually been named at birth) could have stolen that sheep in 1825 (his conviction), tried in Cork 27 March 1826 (though I cannot find a record of that Trial) and transported to NSW as a punishment for 7 years. Once here, Daniel got quite comfortable and was actually appointed a District Constable in a northern region of New South Wales in the mid 1830's!

He does not appear on the Ireland-Australian Transportation Data base but I am positive about his transport on the sailing ship "Boyne" from Cork to NSW in 1826 as I have a copy of the ships indent showing him clearly with a few details. His native place was shown as "Perth" and his occupation as "soldier/groom". There is a good physical description of him and I also have a photo of him (but taken later in life).

Therefore it would appear that the only way to find out more about him is to find any records that might still exist of his enlisting in the military (or being dragged in kicking and screaming) in Perth before 1826.

Any more ideas?

Kerri

Comment

Kerri,
            Spelling probably wont help in your research but I just have to tell you this story. Years ago, in Scotland, I used to go out with a guy called Macfarlane and the way I've written it is how he spelled it. He told me that their family had originally been spelled differently but his father changed the spelling because, according to him, that's how it should be spelled....Macfarlane....Mac and a small letter f.

Elda

Comment

Thanks Elda, that's good to remember.

I have also tried all other variants (McFarlan, McFarland etc) but Daniel is being very elusive.

Never mind, we'll find him.

Kerri

Comment

hi Kerri

I've just started to get back into researching our family tree and decided to pick up from where I hit a wall last time- that was with Daniel McFarlane (as our family knows him) and Johanna Spillane. They were my GGG grandparents on my mum's side.

I don't haveany more info on Daniel than that already posted here - in fact the mention of him being a District Constable was the first I heard of that. If I do find out anything else I'll post it

Cheers
                Penny

Comment

Hi Penny,

I have a lot of information about Daniel and even a very good photo if I can be of any use to you. I am descended from Hannah, the daughter of Daniel and little Johanna. Who is your connection. Daniel was a bit of a scallywag I'm afraid but I have quite a bit I am willing to share with you if you are interested and don't already have the information. Let me know if I can help.

Comment

Hi Kerri

My maternal grandfather is descended from Catherine McFarlane. Catherine married James McLean and their daugher Ethel Catherine McLain was my gradnfather's mother. My info is fairly scarce as my research at present is only what I can gather from the net in my spare time. I'd love to dedicate more time to my searches but this is not possible at the moment. I have to say that I have found quite a bit of interesting information on this part of the family and most people I chat with are really lovely and happy to share. I would really like to get more info about the property Aberfeldy as my cousin (same part of the family) now lives in the general area that the property would seem to have been in.

Comment

Working...
                    X