Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SINCE I AM A YANK DOES THAT NOT MEAN I CAN BE SCOTTISH

Mom,

You have hit on a point when people in the States are asked what they are, they do say, Polish, Russian, Irish etc etc. I wonder why that is? Did I mention, I got to meet the Italian Mike Lemmenti who is the first Italian to be awarded a tartan for Italy. It is called Clan Italia.

http://www.clanitalia.com/

He is really a nice man. Their tartan is lovely!
    kellyd:redrose:

Comment

I woud really like to take this to task.

Life up until the 1950's was quaint in US, the country was very poor monetarily just suffereing at least four wages of conflict plus an economical depression and....there were not electronics to keep the children quiet. Young people had to work and had very little freedom to play or get into trouble. With the exceptions of the City kids who had nothing but to run the streets and beg..

I will continue this at another time...

Comment

This topic has really played havoc to me this past day or two. Upon the approach of the Stuart gentleman who informed me our male DNA matches that of Charles I instead of MacNeill/Buie/Cameron MacDonald's of the Isles, I have been left considering all the points raised above.

There is uncertainty all over the world and has been for the past 10 years. Scotland is trying to gain it's independence just as Texas has been discussing it's independence for 30 years. I am a firm believer of traits being handed down through the generations.

One very good example of this, music- I have listened to all the tribal music of Scotland and I can hear the similarities to Country Western/Mountain Music. The family upbringing, I have lived in the North East of England for 8 years now and find a family from Fife is closer to my values than any where else I have visited in the UK.

As the modern governments strive to become more politically correct, the more individual heritages are lost. Just as Sawny said, not a citizen of Scotland because it doesn't exist.

I wrote an article about St Hilda's Church on the Headlands, and it originally being apart of one of my ancestor's land grants. Many Norman's held lands both in Scotland as well as every part of the UK.

Bill said once,''just look what came out of this set of little islands in the North Atlantic, some of the most intelligent, brave and daring people in the world who were able to opened the world to settlement!'' The Scots may get their feathers ruffled but they cannot deny all the Scottish blood that went ALL over the world and settled. The English, Welsh and Irish except this fact.

Just like I cannot help the fact my grandfather was in fact a royal and probably by illegitimacy because there are no records of Charles I having a William for a son. Who in their right mind would want to claim Henry Darnley, a syphilis infested pervert as an ancestor? I would much prefer to claim the simple highlander crofter instead!

Comment

Anyone can read American History of the Scots to the Carolinas and Virginias..There you can see the talents of the hardy Scots making a comeback from a terrrible life in Scotland, rich and poor alike..The ones who wanted to be free from tyranny gladly grabbed their families and into a rickety wooden ship for a 3 month trek across the ocean...They must have been terrified facing the unknown but releived to know they can now worship and open new frontiers. You might say the Scots to Cape Fear and Carolinas and the Virginias were Ancient Star Trekkis, Going where no man had been before except Prince Madog and his Welsh speaking Indians..

I for one, am very proud to state to the world, Yes , I am a Scot, I may be an American by birth but by blood I am a Scot and no one will ever take that away from me.

Comment

Hi Faither!! How are you?
            wish there were A Scottish citizenship, I just have my British, here its one or the other you cant have 2 so I chose to stay British!!
            Of course most people think were all the same , English Scottish Irish, but we know better eh? lol

Comment

"Life is so much simpler over here, just become a celebrity by participating in a reality show then everyone will follow you, who needs a Monarch?"

I will stick to being old fashioned and full of chivalry where ever the values came from! At least my children and grandchildren know a little bit about manners, the Bible and respect. I will always remember my Granny and Granddaddy's and Grandma Holley's manners. They never swore. They read the Bible every day and we were taught a man is as good as his handshake.

Comment

Laney, I guess I am naive about a Brit coming to America and not be able to have dual-citizenship. That sounds so strange, and unfair, an American can go to a foreign country and obtain dual citizenship, can't they ? So then you are saying, if a person from another country wants to vote in America, or have Social Security, etc....they have to become an American citizen and relinquish their birthright country ? Or in the case of the Hispanics..They get a right to work or Green Card in the States....I believe every government should be reciprocal.

Comment

Mom,

Bill was a British Citizen and could not get dual. He chose British. Thank God he did!

Comment

Hello hen,
                    I have dual citizenship because "I can"~~~~

Not sure what benefits I get from that but I do have 2 passports.

Used the canuck one this tmie around to cross the pond. I suppose it is a useful one to have if I want to cross the border, but I am not planning on doing that this time around.

Faither

Comment

I have dual British and Canadian citizenship so have both Canadian and British passports. The benefit of the British passport is that you are considered a local in any of the 44 or something European countries that are members of the EU. And with the Canadian passport I get quicker access to the USA when driving through the border and I can stay 6 months if I want whereas the British passport only allows me 3 months.

Alastair

Comment

Hi Faither,
                        Not allowed both here, I suppose I should have become an American citizen, I would be able to vote, an important thing these days with our country in shaky hands, yet I never wanted to give up my British it's one or the other, Canada has an agreement with Great Britain I'm sure/
                        My oldest kids were born in Canada and had dual citizenship, only because they were born to a US citizen working for the govt abroad. When they voted they lost the Canadian

Comment

I can understand why some countries do not want dual citizenship, but it works for me.
                          My grandchildren will be able to get a UK (EU) passport if they want, in fact under current rules my g-grand-children will also be able to do that because my kids were all born in the UK.

Faither

Comment

I NEED to spend more time reading your notes, Kelly d. Very interesting.

Thanks,
                            Donna from Oklahoma, U.S.A.

Comment

Donna,

I would be honoured to have you read my stuff. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X