Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Queensland Floods (Australia)

Hey Everyone,
    Have been watching this tragedy along with everyone else. Horrible. However, the Australian Open started on Monday, and they held a benefit that netted well over a million dollars. Plus, players also added their own. What a wonderful thing to do. I love to watch the tennis opens, and was really glad to see all the compassion from the tennis community for what has happened.

Comment

Diane,

I love it when people come together to help each other! It helps restore my faith that not all man kind is heartless! The British Red Cross is doing a drive. I hope they can help too! I am a big fan of the Red Cross. I make sure I make a pop into their charity shop once a month!
      kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Here's a satellite image of the next Cyclone to slam into the Queensland coast..fortunately for the drenched south east we will miss it. Not so fortunate for the poor souls up north who just endured a cyclone last week, and some areas who were inundated over Christmas, and are still trying to clean up and get on with their lives are facing another catastrophe.
        Some are saying this cyclone (yasi) is similar to Katrina...Certainly it's the biggest in size ever to hit Queensland!
        http://www.bom.gov.au/gms/IDE00035.latest.shtml
        Euan..

Comment

Our thoughts are with those who have been, or will be affected by these cyclones.

It certainly looks big one on its way.

Ranald

Comment

I can't help but think that Global warming is playing a part in all this. We really seem to be getting more extreme weather these days.

As I see it Australia has a huge problem in that not only is it having to clean up after all this mess but it's also going to have to spend billions in a system of levies and flood protection barriers for the future.

Alastair

Comment

Now we have Shinmoedake volcano on the island of Kyushu errupting......

Global warming, AND cooling, have been with this world since it was forming. What is more, it has not, and will not stop.

What we humans contribute is minute, by comparrison..... I am not saying it does not exist.

By all means and where practical, we should do what is necessary to cut emissions, but it will not stop the world from developing, or perhaps it is already dying.

Ranald

Comment

For all the latest news on "Cyclone Yasi"

ABC News Online's cyclone blog is updated constantly to bring you the latest information as Yasi threatens to bring chaos to north Queensland.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/cyclone-yasi/

Comment

Al, i will admit to being a Global warming skeptic, this is the wet season so Cyclones are a part of it. What fools a lot of people is we haven't had a real wet season for so long they forget what it's like.I remember back in the seventies, cyclones were a part of summer, and generally we were threatened by them most summers. The only difference now-a-days is Cyclones don't appear to come down to the bottom end of this state, generally they stay further north.
                  What we are seeing now is a proper wet season, however Yasi is an exception to the rule in regards to it's size and intensity.
                  Euan..

Comment

Hey Ranald,
                    I agree with your opinion of the "human contribution being minute". It reminds me of something George Carlin said about when earth gets tired of humans, it will just shake them off like fleas and the world will continue without them. Hope you are doing well.

Comment

I guess I'm just looking at Haiti, Pakistan, etc. Euan and it just seemed to me that the situation seems to be getting more dramatic.

But even so... given the costs of these floods it just seems to me that more money needs to be spent to minimise such huge damage in the years ahead.

Alastair

Comment

Just received the attached from Australia.

I am not sure how accurate it is, but even give and take, makes it alarming.

Ranald
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ranald, looks fairly accurate...
                          This is another picture of just how big this monster is..
                          http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225998762870
                          Euan..

Comment

Euan, since your post on Tuesday, I have been glued to the link you gave for the news.

I never saw any reference to suggest, that any islands to your east, suffered in any way... or were none affected?

Any news from Elda, who was due to leave yesterday?

Ranald

Comment

I heard flooding on the radio.
                              And wondered about our friends in Australia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12158608
                              Marie

Comment

reL Queensland Floods (Australia)

be safe, Euan!

Comment

Working...
                                X