Queensland Floods (Australia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Queensland Floods (Australia)

an inland tsunami is when a river or dam or whatever bursts its banks or a wall fails and it sends a wall of water rushing forward.

its all very shocking

Comment

Spoke to my son about 1 hour ago. He managed to get out to his house this morning. Would you believe that only 5 houses in the street are NOT under water and his is one of them?:laugh2: However, they are saying that the water wont peak for about 3 hours yet.

Bad news is that some bastard broke in and took my grandson's new portable DVD player which I gave him for Xmas plus hundreds of DVD movies which my son had downloaded.

Keeping my fingers crossed that if water does get into the house it will only be a little bit.

They are on the high side of the street but strangely enough the closest to the river. The houses on the other side of the street are much lower, in fact the one right opposite is lower than the street level. They are all under water. Derek says that from a distance it looks as though their house is floating on water.

Elda

Comment

Here are quite a few photographs of the disaster.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/photos/20...11/3110791.htm

Just spoke to a couple of my cousins up that way, fortunately they are well above flood peaks.

Comment

Good to hear you are safe Euan, it must be awful for a hell of a lot of people. We can only stare at the news in awe of the power of the water. Hope things start getting better for you and the rest of the people caught up in this !!!

Originally posted by Euan View Post
          Brisbane is in big trouble,i left work early today to be sure i could get home, however i'm not sure when i'll be able to go back to work. I live in the south eastern side of Brisbane on the coast and now work on the northside of Brisbane.The latest is the CBD is being inundated, the Brisbane river has broken it's banks in several places. My Head Office was evacuated, it is situated at West End, one of the areas expected to be worse hit. Wednesday and Thursday will be the days when we know just how bad this event will be, but already is tipped to exceed the 1974 flood levels.
          Our main dam (Wivenhoe) is currently around 150% capacity, it can handle 200% of capacity for flood mitigation reasons, however the volume of water entering the dam is more that what can be safely released. The outcome is if the dam reaches 200% there is no option other than releasing more water, which in turn will increase the flood levels in and around Brisbane.
          Where i live is Ok, no major worry apart for localized flooding.
          Time to batten down the hatches...

Comment

Wanted...Goggles and Flippers...
            Gordon on a bright note, the Milton Brewery in one of the photos is high and dry...so plenty of XXXX.
            Euan..

Comment

I read about it too and wondered if all you from Australia were safe.
              Last edited by Marie; 12 January 2011, 09:01.
              Marie

Comment

Well the water has come, and now it's going....The big clean-up begins. We went for a drive into the city last night for a look around but didn't see much, the flooded areas have been closed off, but found a high point to stop and look down at the river. Still plenty of rubbish (pontoons, boats,drums, etc floating past.A few looters (lowlifes) were caught pinching stuff from abandoned houses, they will feel the full force of the law.
                Now other ares of Queensland and NSW will have to deal with the mass of water heading their way.

Euan..
                Euan..

Comment

Our hearts go out to ALL the folk affected by this terrible flooding.

I see form the news, that there is terrible flooding all over the world, in several other country's.

This is not the first time in history, that the flooding has been world wide.

Can anyone really come to terms, with such personal loss of houses, contents and relatives or neighbours ?

Ranald

Comment

It was announced this morning that Queensland is to double the jail time for looters during an emergency from 5 years to 10 years. :cool:

The floods were receding quickly yesterday in the area of my son's house. He managed to get back there last night and their house is completely dry!!!:smile: How lucky can you be? As I mentioned before, only 5 houses in the street remained above the water level. They are still at the evacuation centre as they can't go home until the electricity is turned on again.

They made the local newspaper when they met the Prime Minister. See attached my new baby grandson with my son in the background (partly turning away). My daughter in law is holding the baby.

http://ipswich-news.whereilive.com.a...paul-pisasale/

Elda

Comment

They keep talking about this taking billions to clean up but I can't help thinking that more billions are going to be needed to ensure this doesn't happen again. It's a bit like that Katrina disaster where they have to spend a lot of money on repairing the levies but also improving them. Not a lot of point repairing everything only to have this happen again.

Good to hear your son is one of the lucky ones Elda. Must be heart breaking to have your house flooded and lose most of your possessions. Can't help wondering if the Insurance companies will be able to pay out all that is claimed and I guess any homes that were flooded might find it hard to get home insurance down the road.

Alastair

Comment

Does Australia have an agency compared to FEMA which helps out rebuilding after a natural disaster as this was?
                        kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly d View Post
                          Does Australia have an agency compared to FEMA which helps out rebuilding after a natural disaster as this was?
                          Yes, it's called the Government, Kelly :smile: Each State has an SES (State Emergency Services but they help with clearing up rather than rebuilding. However, in a huge emergency like this the army is in there too. Thousands of volunteers have signed up too.

Elda

Comment

The British Red Cross has put out an appeal. I hope everyone will come together to assist in rebuilding. Allie mentioned costing millions to prevent this from happening again like New Orleans after Katrina. My father has told me, the government never finished the via-duck system therefore New Orleans is still in danger.

Look at poor Hiati a year after, they were in our news last night. They are still living in ruin and rubble.

Comment

Are the ducks supposed to carry the water or are they planning a viaduct system to do that?

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Hugh,

The ducks may do a better job!

Comment

Working...
                                X