The History of Household Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The History of Household Technology

The head of the Library's Science Reference Division describes the evolution in the technology of washing machines, irons and stoves and its effect on the work of women in the home.

Alastair

Re: The History of Household Technology

Bill Bryson's latest book has all sorts of interesting "facts" about everyday household objects. Problem is I don't recall the title...
    Sandy

Comment

I would be completely lost without the kettle, everything else I can impervise!
      kellyd:redrose:

Comment

I have been working on the "The Concise Household Encyclopedia" and just about completed the D's. This was a publication that was always in our home wherever we were in the world. I'm not sure if it was a weekly publication that was bound or if it was purchased as was. It'a a huge book and quite heavy, with lots of illustrations.

When I get the opportunity I've been scanning in pages from it and publishing it on the site. Think I've been at it for a couple of years now but it does contain some excellent information as well as recipes. I think my mother used a number of those recipes as from the descriptions I recognize meals that she used to make.

You can see what is up at the moment at http://www.electricscotland.com/household/

Alastair

Comment

Working...
        X