Egypt and the Middle East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egypt and the Middle East

I've been watching the Egypt revolt and I must confess I see real problems in them getting to democratic elections as there doesn't seem to be any opposition parties apart from the Moslem one.

And the same seems to apply to the other countries having the same issues.

It's sure going to be interesting to see how all this play out.

Alastair

Re: Egypt and the Middle East

A reader wrote a letter to the editor in a Sydney newspaper the other day saying to Egypt to remember Iran 30 years ago and to be careful what they wish for.
    Good advice, I thought!

Elda

Comment

The unrest is sure spreading and what a mess in Libya.

Alastair

Comment

One huge problem in the Middle East is the residual fall-out from the years of Colonial Rule, the Great Game played by Colonial governments to keep the locals divided and thus conquered, and the continuing meddling by the US primarily as well as other industrialized nations in order to control the oil and other resources. Such meddling has led to radicalization because in setting up and supporting these strong-man dictatorships who have then plundered their countries and abused and impoverished their people we have made ourselves an odious stench in the nostrils of the people over there. The lack of opportunity and the discontent has allowed those with very radical views (most of which are NOT classical Islam) to present themselves as having the answer to throw off the dictators and the West to free the populace to persue their lives with dignity and freedom. We have interfered with and disposed of democratically-elected leaders because they refused to kow-tow to Western concerns and have used long-time tribal feuds to keep the pot stirred and people at each other's throats.

When the shyte hits the fan, we'll find our own selves spattered quite thoroughly in the process.

Comment

Working...
        X