Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIKE TOMKIES' Books, Scottish nature in the main.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIKE TOMKIES' Books, Scottish nature in the main.

I have been a fan of all I can read of Mike Tomkies' books, some of which are: the very first I ever read was one I picked up at a book store in/around Jasper, Arkansas, MY WILDERNESS WILDCATS, then A World of My Own, which I can remember reading while I was camping at Cumberland Gap, KY/Tennessee/VA. Others are Between Earth and Paradise, A Last Wild Place, & On Wing and Wild Water. Have always tended to read "Nature" stories, as I enjoy watching birds & wildlife, except when rabbits eat my green beans in garden!!! I wonder if anyone else in this forum has read any of Mike's books? I believe he is still alive, as found a video on (I think?) Wild Britain. Of course, he is a Scot as well. Give us a shout if you've read any of these book, of which there are many more, not listed here!!! Joan

Re: MIKE TOMKIES' Books, Scottish nature in the main.

I've read them all Joan and like you I enjoy these types of stories.

I enjoyed the book and DVD of "Alone in the Wilderness" which is a great story of a Richard Proenneke finding a remote place in Alaska and building his own cabin and then living there for a year. There is a web site at http://www.dickproenneke.com

Alastair

Comment

Alastair, I, too believe that I've seen that movie in re: the man (I remember named Dick), who built his own cabin in Alaska. That kinda was a romantic dream I had when younger. In college I made a speech (in Speech class) by the title of: GO NORTH YOUNG MAN, GO NORTH! A play on what Horace Greeley said about going west. All about going to Alaska, & I (while still married) prompted my husband to get a teaching job up there. This didn't work, as no offers. Still have the "wilderness" in my deepest soul/being. Joan

Comment

Recently there was a video on the BBC, on the subject, but I have forgotten the title and the name of the man.

I noted that he stopped at a remote place,and said 'this was where Grey Owl' had his home'.

Am I on the right track for your man, or have I been watching another video with a similar story line ?

Ranald

Comment

I came across the following link in Utube, but it appeared that apart from different dates, the sequences at the right side of more videos, are not in any special order... pity.

Oh dear, the web link I used is only for one part. Best to do a search on Utube for 'alone in the wilderness' and then you have the list on the right side that I mentioned.

Ranald
          Last edited by Ranald; 5 March 2011, 16:42. Reason: added new line suggesting a search

Comment

Ranald, the guy who you saw stopping somewhere & talking about Grey Owl, was up in Canada. Grey Owl was an Englishman, who went up to Canada from England, living close to water, & he had special openings/doors for the beavers to go in & out of his cabin. I remember now something about a lake up there, & it was frozen, & someone pointing out that is where Grey Owl lived. Google Grey Owl. And your video above, that looks like the guy named Dick that Alastair saw in a movie/DVD. He was very short, really energetic, & he was talking all while he was sawing, & getting in firewood, etc. Joan

Comment

Ranald, I just posted a reply to yours above, & it disappeared! Off somewhere in the ether of outer space, I guess!! The fellow in your video above, is that guy named Dick that Alastair mentioned in his DVD. The part about Grey Owl, is that Grey Owl was an Englishman, who fancied himself an Indian, dressed in deerskins, etc. He lived in a remote part of Canade, on a lake, and had put up a cabin, with special walkways, entrances/openings to cabin, so that his friend the beavers could come inside by themselves. I also remember something I watched about a man trekking on a frozen lake, and saying that that cabin was where Grey Owl had lived. Grey Owl was a wealthy upperclass Englishman, but chose to live the simple life. Can't remember if he wrote about his experiences or not. Joan
              Last edited by FriedaKateM; 6 March 2011, 17:30. Reason: The other message disappeared for a while,but guess will leave them as they are!

Comment

Joan, Yes that was the Grey Owl...... In the late 1930's Grey Owl was in the Usher Hall in Edinburgh, giving a talk on his Canadian life, and my brother and I were there !! I well remember seeing the man in his wilderness clothing, and being very impressed.

I have 4 books on Grey Owl, three of which were 'written' by him, and one used a section of his writing on beavers for the National Parks of Canada.

I might have a look to see if the National Parks has anything about him on their web site. The book 'Tales of an Empty Cabin' has quite a few photographs, which I note are 'by permission of' 12 other Canadian authorities.

Yes 'he was born in Hastings (England)' according to an undated newspaper cutting.

In the book 'The Men of the Last Frontier' the publisher's note states 'It should be explained that the author is a half-breed Indian, whose name has recently become known throughout the English-speaking world. His father was a Scot, and his mother an Apache Indian of New Mexico, and he was born somewhere near the Rio Grande forty odd years ago'.

I remember some story alleging that he drank rather a lot. So who do you believe ?

However to me, this does not minimize what he did for the environment in Canada, all those years ago.

Ranald

Comment

Movie Info
                  Genre: Drama

Synopsis: In the 1930s, young Englishman Archibald Belaney emigrates to Canada, and decides to live as a Native American named Grey Owl. While travelling as a... In the 1930s, young Englishman Archibald Belaney emigrates to Canada, and decides to live as a Native American named Grey Owl. While travelling as a trapper he meets Pony, a young Mohawk woman who is immediately enamored with Grey Owl. She decides to follow him to the north of Canada, and although he resists her affections he eventually grows fond of her. Pony convinces Grey Owl to give up the cruelty of animal trapping and so he turns his hand to writing in order to make a living. Eventually, Grey Owl becomes a famous nature writer and conservationist, widely popular on the international lecture circuit. It is not until his death in 1938 that his true nationality, and his double-identity are exposed. Less

Rated: PG-13 [See Full Rating] for some sensuality/nudity

Running Time: 1 hr. 57 min.
                  Distributor:Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

Directed By: Richard Attenborough

Written By: William Nicholson

" Grey Owl " A Man Ahead of His Time"

Comment

Gordon, glad you found all that about Grey Owl. I was out today, but kept thinking about Mike Tomkies. I have the website Wild about Britain as one of my favorites. I Googled Mike, & it led me back to the same site. If you/or anyone will go into that site, click on "community", then on "forums", enter Re: Mike Tomkies - where is he now? You'll be taken to a forum like ours, only it's all about Mike, there's more there than you can read. There's also a DVD that he was in, in regard to the Scottish Wildcat, but for one thing, I can't purchase from overseas, as I need a Region 1 DVD, can't get ones meant for GB. If you Google Mike Tomkies, you will come up with lots of stuff, including a video recorded about him talking about wildcats. He is quite old, probably in late 80's now, & had suffered with "bowel cancer", although it was posted that he came through that. I will look him up again, probably on Wikileaks, to see if he's still with us. It's really good for us, that we keep our minds curious & keep on keeping on!! Joan ( PS: the actor in the above movie was Pierce Brosnan, not nearly as tall as the real Grey Owl!)
                    Last edited by FriedaKateM; 7 March 2011, 22:19. Reason: spelling mistakes...

Comment

Hi Joan,
                      This should interest you. :cool:

Borrowed from the intriguing documentary 'Last of the Scottish Wildcats' (Coffee Films: 2008). This is an interview with Mike Tomkies, author of Wildcat Haven

Learning from Scottish Wildcats

Original teaser trailer for the wildlife documentary Last of the Scottish Wildcats, view the full length preview on our channel or at coffeefilms.com/scottishwildcats where you can also order the DVD

Mike Tomkies 2009 interview for Scottish Wildcat Association 10 minute running time.

Last edited by 1938 Observer; 7 March 2011, 23:47. Reason: adding another video

Comment

Gordon, I tried & tried, but as am in USA, I cannot get these videos to "perform" properly. Mike will say 3 syllables, and then there will be a pause. Verrrrrrrrry frustrating, to say the least. IF the videos come from the US OR Canada, I have no difficulty in playing them. That's what I was talking about, I think (?), previously, that US/CA are in Region 1 & GB is in another region when it comes to videos & DVD's. Appreciate your grand efforts, though. Joan

I went around this problem, I Googled Mike, & then found the coffee films site, where these videos are posted. They ran American car commercials prior to starting, & then I was able to watch the videos about Mike & the Scottish Wildcats, as they were for American viewers. I saved that particular page on "my favorites", so I can go in & watch at anytime. I also noted some other videos about Scottish Fold kitten & cats, which were quite cute. (One of my cats heard the mewing, & had a bemused expression on his face!)
                        Last edited by FriedaKateM; 8 March 2011, 23:23. Reason: Wanted to add on information...

Comment

Hi there,just noticed the interest in Mike Tomkies.
                          Mike is very much still one the go and only last week wrote to me,one of our finest wildlife writers.
                          Soloman.

Comment

Working...
                          X