Earthquake in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake in Japan

What a disaster, the videos of the tsunami sweeping all before it is heartbreaking.

Cars, houses, factories all being engulfed in a sea of debris.

The entire Pacific coastline is now under emergency watch, and there is nothing that can be done by humans, to stop this natural disaster.

Will this quake be the first of others in the Pacific 'ring of fire'.

My thoughts and prayers go out to ALL affected.

Ranald

Re: Earthquake in Japan

I had been watching the Tsunami on TV.

TOKYO -- A ferocious tsunami spawned by one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded slammed Japan's eastern coast Friday, killing hundreds of people as it swept away boats, cars and homes while widespread fires burned out of control.
    My Thoughts and Prayers are with them too.
    Hours later, the tsunami hit Hawaii and warnings blanketed the Pacific, as far away as South America, Canada, Alaska and the entire U.S. West Coast.
    Marie

Comment

Gosh.. I didn't know about this Marie until I read your post. Switched on the TV news and WOW. They were just talking about the tsunami heading for the west coast of the US.

Alastair

Comment

I have been watching this since early morning,,,,, horrendous.

Have a look at the following site for pictures..... it is unreal..... but for the folk there VERY Real and a short time ago two aftershocks of 5.1

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ml?ref=asia#20

Ranald

Comment

Guess we'll get a better idea of the damage when daylight returns to Japan so later today will tell the larger story.

Nature sure is causing havoc around the world what with the earthquake in New Zealand, the terrible floods in Australia and Pakistan, and terrible weather all over the world.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair, insignificant with places you mention, but we has more snow last night, and the Ochills are white yet again !

The forecast for the Central Region, is even more snow over the weekend !

Ranald
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Ranald; 11 March 2011, 15:07. Reason: error

Comment

I first heard about this huge quake/tsunami, as I received an email from my oldest grandson, 28, who is a teacher of Japanese kids, teaching English. He said "I'm all right!!!". He said that the 5th graders were having their picture taken, & had their desks all over to one side of the room. Once they felt the tremors, in series, they slowly pulled each of their desks over, & all of them got down under the desks. My grandson is a Purdue U. grad, & has been teaching English in Japan ever since he got out of university. My son, his dad, wants to take me over to Japan, in Jul or Aug. Haven't yet spoken to him since this disaster. I've been looking at all the videos, & frankly, it scares me a lot. My grandson said he's in the most landlocked area of Japan, so did feel the quakes, but didn't see damage. It's good to remember for each of us, to live each day, & don't put off till tomorrow what you want to do today. Joan

Comment

One piece of good news, thank you Joan for the encouragement. We all must look forward.

Ranald

Comment

Compared to the various wars/civil distubances around the world there is nothing to compare with the forces of nature and their destructive powers.

Comment

I thought that myself as it happens. I was just reviewing in my mind the terrible disasters in the past 12 months. The earthquake in Christchurch, the floods in Australia, the floods in Pakistan and on it goes.

Alastair

Comment

With all the flooding from the Snow and rain New Jersey has been declared a State of Emergency .
                      Marie

Comment

Marie...The Ohio river is over its banks, & last night a waterfront restaurant, which is moored in the river, with customers onboard, broke part of its moorings. I heard it shifted downstream, & wedged at the Clay Wade Bailey bridge. There were people on there, like Chris Collingsworth, an exBengal football player, who's now a commentator. Over a 100 customers, & they, the firefighters, etc., emergency personnel, had to make a makeshift walkway with a ladder, eventually put a board across it, & people were having to take their shoes & socks off, & wear a lifevest, & walk down one at a time. It was women first, as well. There was no panic, & the restaurant owner was talking to the news people via cell phone, & he was vowing to stay onboard till the last person was out. I heard that Boomer Esiessian (sp?) another ex football player, & commentator, called to the owner, & made a crack about taking people on "boat rides". I still have lakes all over my property, & of course the ground is squishy. I live in what's supposed to be a highland area!! Take care. Joan

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are going out to all affected by this terrible earthquake. Hopefully we will have good news about survivors and thepeople who are assisting with the recovery of the bodies and all the families and friends overseas who are waiting for news.

Comment

Last I heard there could be some serious issues with the Nuclear Power Plant. I think they also said there were some 10,000 people missing from one of the towns. I saw a picture of before and after and apart from the Hospital the town had gone.

Alastair

Comment

I'm watching ABC on TV now talking about Nuclear Time Bomb in Japan.
                              Marie

Comment

Working...
                              X