A Modern Day Jacobite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Modern Day Jacobite

Hello everyone, I posted this story back in December and it caused some grievance to some therefore I finally asked Alastair to remove the thread. The green paper has been published concerning Liable in the UK. This story is purely my feelings on the topic based on several men who I spoke to through Facebook.

The Modern Jacobite
    By Kelly d Whittaker

I was taken back a month or two ago when I discovered Jacobites exist in Scotland. I am very proud of my Scottish ancestry in which there were Jacobites. Everyone has heard of Bonnie Prince Charlie and his fight for the throne of the United Kingdom. The years were 1745-1747. The supporters of the Stuart Kings as monarch were very dominant and stressful in Scotland. The Hanoverians were on the throne and weren't going to give it back! Why should the Hanoverian bow down? They had achieved the throne of one of the last Chivalric nations in the world. The Jacobites had been almost completely exterminated by the Hanoverian government. The government officials purged and pacified all of Scotland from the notorious rebels who believed a rightful Stuart should be on the throne. The Hanover-Windsor still sit upon the throne and a band of Modern Jacobites,exsist, and are making headlines in the news!

What are these Modern Jacobites? Do they honour the real Jacobites? How are they accepted? What do the modern Jacobites do in their groups?

I have set out to answer these questions.

The Sunday Scotland 26 December 2010 had reprinted a previous story by Peter Ross. This story actually insulted me because this group of men were making a mockery of all real Jacobite! They are prime and proper gentlemen who spend lots of money to dress up to have men's only drink and dinner parties. They do have a few events to honour the time frame. The name of the group is The Circle of Gentlemen. A direct quote from the article, "We're not a re-enactment group, so we're not big hairy people with half a deer on our backs." MacNeill explains. "We dress more like the polite end of society. The savage look appeals to tourists who expect to see Bravehearts all over the place, but that's not what we're about."

I have been told by several other Jacobites this group may practice a code similar to the Hells Fire Club in which Benjamin Franklin once was a member.

Excuse me! A real Jacobite from the time of BPC did not have money to throw around for such fineries! They were hard working men. Even the Lords and Ladies of the era had to work hard to support their lands and help their people. The men did honour the old chivalric code and indeed practised the way of the gentleman in mannerism and dress but by all means, they did not wear clothes a Prince or a King would wear.

I knew I needed to get answers about Modern Jacobite therefore I asked a friend of mine several questions on Facebook. The response was fantastic. Two more men contacted me about another group of interest, he Na Fir Dileas. The Loyal Men.

This is what their introduction on their website states:

Formally constituted in 1998, Na Fir Dileas or (The Loyal Men), evolved from an amalgamation of several smaller groups and like-minded individuals all of whom shared the same goals and ambitions. These goals and ambitions were to see the rebirth of the ancient “Kingdom of Scots” and a reinstatement of “The Royal house of Stewart” as its sovereign heads of state. Na fir dileas actively campaign for and support the move for a democratically created independent Scotland, capable of standing on its own merits and shoulder-to-shoulder with all free nations of the world.

Although Na Fir Dileas was first constituted in 1998 it had been around as an organisation in various guises since 1994. It first came into existence as “The Clan Ochil” and was formed by several people with Jacobite sympathies all hailing from the Clackmannanshire area in Scotland. It then went through a period of uncertainty as its membership grew and people from out with Clackmannanshire became more involved. It was then felt by the then current membership that the name “Clan Ochil” had become somewhat unsuitable for a group that was spread throughout the length and breadth of Scotland. Since then the names have ranged from “The King’s Clan Regiment” and “An fir dileas gu Seamus”, before finally settling for its current name “Na Fir Dileas” (The Loyal Men).

You can read more at: http://www.nafirdileas.org/index.htm

The NFD hold events to honour memorable events at the time of Bonnie Prince Charlie. I would compare these men to re-enactors like the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

The connection between Clan Ochil and Ocheltrye, the barony of George Murray is a striking coincidence! This group honours George Murray as a military genius and holds him in great esteem.
    Now we come to the group who are kilt wearing, sincere, honest and hardworking! They do support the Stuart monarch and Scotland's independence yet they live quiet lives. Most of the ordinary Jacobite are more like the Jacobite at the time of Bonnie Prince Charlie. They have manners but are strict in their beliefs and religion. All the Jacobites seem to be strong Christians.
    All these groups promote the same message and code. You must believe in Scotland and her history. A person does not have to have a direct ancestor who was a Jacobite.

There are Jacobite organisations all over the world. This was a troublesome time frame in history but it was also very romantic. This time frame was very chivalric and carried onto the plantations in proper husbandry. Fancy clothes and nice manners abound with these groups for representing the time of Bonnie Prince Charlie.

In all the finery, please, never forget what the real Jacobite suffered. Their homes ransacked, burnt out and live stock confiscated. Most of the Jacobites had to hide and only seen their families once every couple of months. After the battles, the Hanover-Windsor government killed nearly everyone close to Bonnie Prince Charlie. The remainder of Jacobites who were caught were sentenced and had to draw lots for their lives. The ones who drew the lots were sent as white slaves to the Colonies. The families of the Jacobites were rounded up and sent to the Colonies.

The stigma of the Jacobites will always remain with Scotland because it is Scotland!
    kellyd:redrose:
Working...
X