Glencreggan: or A Highland Home in Cantire
    Kay's Edinburgh Portraits
    Traditions of Perth
    Glasgow and it's Clubs
    Musings among the Heather
    Robert Burns Lives!
    John Clay - A Scottish Farmer
    Berwick upon Tweed
    Annals of Hawick 1214 - 1814 (Complete new book)
    The Life of George Stephenson and his son Robert Stephenson (Complete new book)
    Biographical Sketch of Robert Stevenson (Complete new book)
    The Prestonpans Tapestry
    Register of the Privy Council of Scotland
    Isle of Bute

Electric Scotland News
    ----------------------
    We're maoving ahead with our Amazon Shopping Mall. We have it installed and are playing around with it to see how we might configure it. The main idea of the mall is to be able to feature Scottish products and/or products from our visitors. This means we can feature books from authors that visit our site and also feature what we believe to be good books, videos, DVD's, etc on Scottish themes.

As you'll know amazon has thounsands of products on just about ever category of product. While you'll be able to shop in our mall when you come to the checkout you'll actally be sent to amazon to complete your purchase as they will be responsible for handling the money side and the shipping. We will of course get a little commission on any sales that go through our mall so that will help support our site.

What I'd like to know is if we should expand our categrories so that you can purchase non Scottish products as well. Like as you'll know they have categories for Baby, Apparel, Computers, Home and Garden, Jewelry, etc. The reason that we are considering this is that as you know I was recently impressed by the fact that their Scottish warehousing took on 950 new jobs to service the UK. That means the more products purchased actually helps produce new jobs in Scotland as their Scottish operation handles the whole of the UK.

Will still be a wee while before we make this available as we have to learn how to use the system and make sure it looks good and works well. Any thoughts you might have on this would be welcome.

-----

By this time most of you will know about our toolbar which comes up in the footer of the site. We've recently added a Conact Us icon that when clicked on allows you to send us a message. We've also added a Live Radio icon where you can listen to live radio on a mix of radio stations. This last is still in beta. I find for example that while the BBC World News and BBC Scotland is featured neither of these will play right now. That said I noted BBC Radio 1, 2 and 4 play just fine.

-----

We've also got in some good quotes for bandwidth from two other Telecom companies. Right now it looks like we could half our costs and double our bandwidth at the same time. Have another meeting arranged with them to discuss this further. There is of course no point in doing any changes unless we can be guaranteed reliabily of service.

One of the reasons for looking at this is that we would like to do streaming video on the site but that takes up a lot of bandwidth which is the single most expensive cost we have.

-----

I was delighted to get an email in from Abbot Fr Mark Cairna this week giving me permission to pubish Peter Andon's book "Fishermen and Fishing Ways" onto the site. Peter Anson was famous for his illustrations and writings on the Fisher folk and so this will be a real treat to make this available. Due to the many illustrations I will scan in all the pages as images and then compile them into a pdf file. I'll likely do each chapter as a seperate pdf file as that way I can start to get it up as scanning several hundred pages will take some time.

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/rss/whatsnew.php

Electric Scotland Community
    ---------------------------
    So far everyone seem to be happy with the new arcade and it seems to be working properly. Steve will be adding some interesting mods to interface with it so hopefully it can only get better.

Our next task is to categorise the games and of course add some new ones. And mind if you lost an old favourite from the old one do let us know the name of the game and we'll try to find it and add it in.

I must say that there are lot of new messages going up every day and we're getting much more active. In fact I try to view every post that goes up but that's getting increasingly difficult now. In fact when I went in to see the new posts today there were 8 new posts and by the time I'd read those and responded to a few another 2 new posts had arrived.

I note that Facebook and others are looking at focusing more on Groups. This is where you can get together with friends and create your own groups for your own circle of friends and colleagues. In some respects our Electric Scotland Community is kind of like that as most of our members have some connection with Scotland. We do as it happens have a Groups feature in the Community so I guess I'll need to look more closely at that to see what can be done with it. At the moment I think I need to enable Groups but it might be possible to let you create your own Groups and then invite your own circle to join. I'll investigate that more and let you know what is possible in a future newsletter.

Our community can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.org/forum.php but of course if you are reading this you're already in it :-)

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
    --------------------

This weeks issue is now available compiled by Jim Lynch in which he covers a fair bit of ground on a variety of topics. Well worth a read.

You can get to the Flag at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Christina McKelvie MSP's weekly diary hasn't made it in this week yet! But it might come in tomorrow and if so can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/mckelvie

Geikie's Etchings
    -----------------
    This week we've added more etchings along with some quite detailed accounts...

I Can Whistle Fine Now Granny
    The Fish Are Dear Eneugh For Us Today
    He's Just Got Plenty For Ae Day

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ikie/index.htm

Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland
    ----------------------------------------
    And of the Border Raids, Forays and Conflicts by John Parker Lawson (1839). This is a new publication we're starting on which is in 3 volumes. We intend to post up 2 or 3 stories each week until complete.

This week we've added...

The Raid Of Stirling - 1571
    The Bloodhound Of Lorn - 1306
    Sieges Of Wark Castle

You can read these accounts at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/wars/

Glencreggan: or A Highland Home in Cantire
    ------------------------------------------
    By Cuthbert Bede (1861)

This week we're on Volume 2 with...

Chapter XXVI - Common Objects on and off the Sea-Shore

Otters. — Their Dens. — Otter-hunting. — Dogs. — The Master-otter, or King of the Otters. — The Note of an Otter. — Seals and Sealshooting. — Fish Tarieties. — The Scotch Minister interrupted. — Lobsters and Crabs. — Imprisoned Voyagers. — The GuLf-stream. — The Voyage of the Seed. — Tropical Plants on Highland Shores. — Hugh Miller. — Dr. Neill. — Rev. C. Kingsley. — Mr. Campbell. — Westerly Currents and Gales. — Unsafe Anchorage. — Luminous Appearance of the Sea. — Medusae. — Poetical Extracts.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/glencreggan/

Kay's Edinburgh Portraits
    -------------------------
    A Series of Anecdotal Biographies chiefly of Scotchmen, Mostly by James Paterson and Edited by James Maidment (1885)

This week we have added...

Lord High Chancellor Loughborough, afterwards Earl of Rosslyn
    James Edgar, Esq., Commissioner of Customs
    Rev. Dr. Thomas Davidson, late of the Tolbooth Church, Edinburgh
    Colonel Patrick Crichton, of the Edinburgh Volunteers

The Lord High Chancellor is an interesting account which starts...

His lordship was the first Scotsman who ever sat on the bench as Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas, or held the appointment of Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain.

Alexander Wedderburn was born at Chesterhall, in East Lothian, in 1733. His father, Peter "Wedderburn, Esq. of Chesterhall, was a Senator of the College of Justice ; and his great-grandfather, Sir Peter Wedderburn of Gosford, had held a similar appointment in the reign of Charles II. He received the first rudiments of education at the village school of Dalkeith, where his conduct was such as to merit the unqualified approbation of his teacher.

Young Wedderburn subsequently studied, at the University of Edinburgh ; and so rapid was his progress in the various academical acquirements, that he was admitted to the bar at the precocious age of nineteen. Even at this early period he was fast rising into practice, when an incident occurred, which altogether changed his views and sphere of action. "He had gained the cause of a client," says his biographer, "in opposition to the celebrated Lockhart (Lord Covington), when the defeated veteran, unable to conceal his chagrin, took occasion, from something in the manner of Mr. Wedderburn, to call him a 'presumptuous boy. The sarcastic severity of the young barrister's reply drew upon him so illiberal a rebuke from one of the judges, that he immediately unrobed, and, bowing to the Court, declared that he would never more plead where he was subjected to insult."

Following up this resolution, Wedderburn instantly proceeded to London, where that respect is invariably shown to the members of the bar to which they are justly entitled. He enrolled himself a member of the Inner Temple, and was admitted to the bar in 1757. The step thus taken was certainly a hazardous one for an individual without friends or patronage, and comparatively without fortune. His talents, however, soon made way for him; and he very speedily attained to eminence. Among the first cases of any note in which he was employed, was that of Lord Olive (many years Governor-General of India), who, after nearly sixteen years' residence at home, was arraigned before Parliament upon charges of undue appropriation. He was eminently successful in the vindication of Lord Olive, and obtained a verdict of acquittal. His appearance in the House of Lords, as one of the counsel in the great Douglas cause, tended greatly to increase his professional reputation, and secured for him the friendship of the premier, Lord Bute. Shortly after the decision of this appeal, Mr. Wedderburn was brought into Parliament for the Inverary district of burghs, which he represented for several years; and, in 1774, having been chosen for two English boroughs, he became member for Oakhampton. In the House of Commous he proved himself an able debater, and was one of the chief defenders of the Grafton administration, in opposition to Burke, who had thrown all the force of his eloquence into the Rockingham interest.

You can read the rest of this account at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/kays/vol205.htm

The other entries can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/kays/index.htm

Traditions of Perth
    -------------------
    Containing Sketches of the Manners and Customs of the Inhabitants during the last century by George Penny (1836)

We've now added Pages 212 to 234 and included in these pages are accounts of the local hospital, session records and information on local charities.

You can get to these pages at the foot of the page at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/perth/

Glasgow and it's Clubs
    ----------------------
    Or Glimpses of Conditions, Manners, Characters and Oddities of the City By John Strang LL.D. (1857)

This week we've added...

Mercantile Emergencies from 1812 TO 1816—Post-Office Club
    Glasgow Habits before and after the Peace of Waterloo—French Club
    Patriotism and Poetry from 1812 to 1816—Anderston Social Club

The French Club is an interesting account which starts...

There was perhaps no period, as we have already hinted, in the modern history of Glasgow, more replete with anxiety and excitement among all classes of the citizens than the months and days of 1814, 1815, and 1816. Amid the thousand rumours and the momentous realities connected with the warlike operations then daily agitating every quarter of Europe, there was little time and less inclination for the discussion of any other topic. Every man was on tiptoe to learn what was to fix the condition of nations, and what was to seal the fate of his own beloved land. It was a restlessness of which any one who has only lived in the placid period of the past forty years can have no idea—an excitement which absorbed and swallowed up all other thoughts and anxieties. The first temporary check to this excitement about public news was, however, felt on the 12th April, 1814, when the intelligence of Napoleon's abdication was announced by the guard of the London mail-coach, on its arrival in front of the Exchange at the Cross. Hopes and fears were now seemingly at an end. The threat of invasion which had kept the whole nation in hot water, although not in fear, and the gigantic power of Bonaparte had both vanished ; and the angel of peace, which had so long abandoned the world, seemed now ready to return with the Emperor's expatriation to Elba. The news to which we have just alluded, fiew like lightning through the City, and the people, with one accord, resolved that night to certify their exultation at the event by publicly illuminating their shops and houses, and by lighting bonfires on each and all of their public thoroughfares. The regiments forming the garrison turned out at mid-day to fire a feu de joie in the Green, in which they were joined by the 3d battalion of the Lanarkshire Local Militia, commanded by Colonel Geddes, of Verreville celebrity, whose sable steed, as it reared amid the noise and the blaze of the expended gunpowder, did not fail to realise the truth of Blind Alick's immortal stanzas:—

"Like the fiery god of war,
    Colonel Geddes doth advance,
    On a black horse that belong'd
    To the murder'd king of France!"

You can read these chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...w/clubsndx.htm

Musings among the Heather
    -------------------------
    Being poems chiefly in the Scottish Dialect by David Thomson (1881).

We have added Pages 121 to 250 this week and now completes the book.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/musings.htm

Robert Burns Lives!
    -------------------
    By Frank Shaw

Dr. Rhona Brown has once again joined the pages of Robert Burns Lives! by sharing with us an informative overview of the recent annual Burns conference hosted by the University of Glasgow. To date she has three articles on this web site so is no stranger to our readers. Check out the chapters referenced below to fully understand why we are delighted to have her as one of our guest writers:

The Honorary Graduation of Professor G. Ross Roy, Chapter 61
    The Ross Roy Medal, Chapter 91
    The Biographical Construction of Robert Fergusson, 1774-1900, Chapter 103

I have found Rhona extremely willing to help make the pages of our Burns site one of the more relevant ones on the subject found across the internet. Not only does she help when I ask her, she also volunteers to assist me with Robert Burns Lives! which has been referred to by one authority on the Bard as an “oft read” web site. I like that! The late Robert Carnie, Burns scholar extraordinaire, professor, and a grand Canadian, is the only person to currently have more articles on Robert Burns Lives! than Rhona, an extraordinary person in her own right, and who will tie Dr. Carnie with her next article. Thank you, Rhona, for all you do for all of our readers! (FRS: 3.17.11)

Burns and Beyond: A One Day Conference hosted by the Centre of Robert Burns Studies
    Saturday 15 January 2011
    By Dr. Rhona Brown, University of Glasgow

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...s_lives112.htm

All of the Robert Burns articles can be found at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...rank/burns.htm

John Clay - A Scottish Farmer
    -----------------------------
    By his eldest son (1906)

We've now added...

Chapter I - Youth and Marriage
    Chapter II - Farming in Berwickshire
    Chapter III - Farming in Roxburghshire
    Chapter IV - Waygoings from Winfield Kerchesters and Plenderleith
    Chapter V - His Employees
    Chapter VI - As a Business Man
    Chapter VII - As a Churchman
    Chapter VIII - As a Politicia

Chapter III starts...

John Clay, tenant of Kerchesters since 1839, died in June 1866 and his son took up the lease at Whitsunday 1867; so that he was then farming Winfield, Wedderlie and Lanton Lees in Berwickshire, and now he became tenant of the above large farm, 1,296 acres in extent. After the great era of improvements in the forties very little had been done. The hedges had run wild, the drains were choked up and the place was in need of lime. As years crept on him the old tenant was willing to rest on his oars. Having gotten into comfortable circumstances he let the world wag on easily. The new broom began to sweep clean. Down went the hedges so that a new growth could come, drainers were in demand and lime was freely applied. Wonderful activity, reminding some of the old servants of early days of what had been done then, came into play, and for nearly thirty years the same magnificent energy was in evidence. The farm itself is a subject worthy of the best thought and work that can be employed. It rises from near the level of the Tweed (Whitmuirhaugh and Redden intervening betwixt it and the river) gently towards Haddon Rig, and then it falls swiftly towards the Lempitlaws. It is an oblong, about if miles north and south, ii east and west. Half of it is good land; half is weak, mostly a moor-bound soil, but capable of raising a lot of stuff of inferior quality. However, it is sure turnip and barley ground, and as the good land lies on the north side round the steading and close to the railroad it is in many ways a desirable place. The great drawbacks are the want of a steading on Haddon Rig, entailing long travels for the work people. The result was that the hinds and women workers were a shifting population. It was further still a difficult place to manage in regard to the sheep stock. They "pined" more or less on the upper land and the death rate was heavy. Then it was bleak, most of it facing the north wind which swept across it with " angry sough." There were no plantations behind which the stock could shelter. Of late years this has been remedied.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter03.htm

All the chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/clay/index.htm

Berwick upon Tweed
    ------------------
    A History of the Town by John Scott (1888)

We now have up...

Chapter I. 833—1286
    Chapter II. 1286—1307
    Chapter III. 1307—1327
    Chapter IV. 1327—1337
    Chapter V. 1337—1377
    Chapter VI. 1377—1521
    Chapter VII. 1521—1547
    Chapter VIII. 1547~1560

Chapter VI. 1377—1521 starts...

ONE of the first acts of Richard's government towards Berwick was an order of protection for the burgesses, in these terms (Dec. 6, 1377) :

'The King to all Sheriffs, Mayors, etc., in England as in Scotland. Salute. Willing to do especial grace to our beloved in Christ the burgesses of our town of Berwick upon Tweed, who continually dwell in said fortified town in our allegiance not without great expense and labour, we take the burgesses and every one of their servants' rents, lands, possessions, and all goods under our special protection and defence, and therefore we command you that you maintain, protect, and defend the aforesaid burgesses' rents, etc., ut supra, neither inflicting on them any injury, molestation, hurt, impediment, or any other grievance whatsoever. If any one has caused any injury whatever to any one of them you cause that to be corrected and reformed without delay. We are unwilling that anything should be taken for our necessity, either of corn, hay, horses, conveyances, victuals, or other goods or chattels.'

This special protection of royalty was to last for three years: but all the King's good wishes could not prevent abuse of the town or castle. Next year, 1378, there was a more daring and successful assault made upon the latter. The raids I have mentioned became every year more destructive, and both sides desired peace. Percy and Sir John Gordon met at Berwick this year to arrange the terms of an armistice as the basis of a more enduring peace, when the news suddenly burst upon them that eight desperadoes had suddenly surprised Berwick Castle, which caused all thoughts of peace to be laid aside.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter06.htm

You can read this book as we get it up at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...wick/index.htm

Annals of Hawick 1214 - 1814
    ----------------------------
    With an Appendix containing Biographical Sketches and other illustrative documents by James Wilson, Town Clerk of Hawick (1850)

The completion of a line of Railway, to which the metropolis of Scotland and the ancient burgh of Hawick have become respective termini, with certain advantage to the latter, if not indeed to both places,—appeared to the compiler a suitable opportunity for stringing together such notes connected with the history of the town, as he had from time to time entered upon his tablets. Inconsiderate observers may feel disposed to undervalue these " short and simple annals but when it is remembered how completely neglected the topography of our country has been, and how important are the smallest materials which contribute to remedy the defect, the facts hereinafter recorded may appear to be neither uninteresting nor entirely devoid of historical value.

To some individuals, the Record of the Proceedings of the Circuit Court of Justiciary, held at Dumfries and Jedburgh in the years 1622 and 1623, contained in the Supplement, may seem to have no special connection with the town of Hawick; yet it certainly sheds light on the state of society throughout that part of the Borders with which the town is usually identified, during a period when history furnishes but scanty materials for reference; and a collection can hardly be considered altogether insignificant, containing authentic reports of our ancient mode of procedure in trials for crime on the Borders, of a much earlier date than any of a similar character yet discovered.

The Appendix includes several documents hitherto unpublished, calculated to convey to the reader an accurate notion of the municipal constitution of the burgh ; and, with regard to the Biographical Sketches, although the lives of some of the persons may be found elsewhere, these, for the most part, are contained in books not generally accessible to most reader.

This book can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...wick/index.htm

The Life of George Stephenson and his son Robert Stephenson
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Comprising also a history of the invention of the Railway Locomotive by Samuel Smiles (1868).

The present is a revised edition of the Life of George Stephenson and of his son Robert Stephenson, to which is prefixed a history of the Railway and the Locomotive in its earlier stages, uniform with the early history of the Steam-engine given in vol. iv. of "Lives of the Engineers" containing the memoirs of Boulton and Watt. A memoir of Richard Trevithick has also been included in this introductory portion of the book, which will probably be found more complete than any notice which has yet appeared of that distinguished mechanical engineer.

You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...stephenson.htm

Biographical Sketch of Robert Stevenson
    ---------------------------------------
    Civil Engineer, by Alan Stevenson (1851).

This is small book and starts...

Robert Stevenson was born at Glasgow on the 8th June 1772, and died at Edinburgh on the 12th July 1850, in the seventy-ninth year of his age. His father, Alan Stevenson, was a partner in a West India House in Glasgow, and died in the island of St Christopher, while on a visit to his brother, who managed the business abroad. His only son Robert, the subject of this memoir, was then an infant, and, with his mother, was ultimately left in circumstances of the greatest difficulty; for the same epidemic fever which deprived him of his father carried off his uncle also, at a time when his loss operated most disadvantageously on the business which he had superintended, and very many years elapsed before any funds in which my father had an interest were realised. His mother's circumstances now compelled her to take advantage of a charity school for him during his infancy; and the high spirit of the man is well brought out by the fact that he devoted his first earnings in life, at the Cumbrae Lighthouse, to the repayment to that institution of what he viewed as a debt. In this manner was my father's early education conducted, although, as the sequel shows, with success, yet under circumstances which could not by any means be called favourable.

This success was chiefly due to the energy of his mother, Jane Lillie, who was a woman of great prudence and remarkable fortitude, based on deep convictions of religion. It appears, from some memoranda left by my father for the information of his family, that his mother had intended him for the ministry, with a view to which he had been sent to the school of a famous linguist of his day, Mr Macintyre. Circumstances, however, occurred which entirely changed his prospects and pursuits. Soon after he had attained his fifteenth year, his mother was married to Mr Thomas Smith, who had commenced life as a tinsmith and lampmaker in Edinburgh, and who, being an ingenious mechanician, afterwards directed his attention to the subject of lighthouses. So successful were Mr Smith's endeavours to improve the mode of illumination, by substituting oil lamps with parabolic mirrors for the open coal-fires which formerly served for beacons to the mariner, that his improvements attracted the notice of Professor Robison and Sir David Hunter Blair, and he was appointed engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board, immediately after its constitution by the Act of 1786.

In these pursuits my father had rendered himself useful to Mr Smith, who intrusted him, at the early age of nineteen, with the superin-tendenoe of the erection of a lighthouse on the island of Little Cumbrae in the river Clyde, according to a plan which Mr Smith had furnished to the Trustees for the Clyde Navigation.' This connection soon led to his adoption as Mr Smith's partner in business, and in 17.09 to his marriage with his eldest daughter; and as the entire management of the lighthouse business had already for some years, with the concurrence of the Board, devolved upon him, lie naturally succeeded Mr Smith as engineer, an office which he resigned in 1843, after having fulfilled its arduous duties for about half a century.

You can read the rest of this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...nson/index.htm

I might add a video of his work on the Bell Rock Lighthouse is available in our Electric Scotland Community at http://www.electricscotland.org/show...ight=bell+rock

The Prestonpans Tapestry
    ------------------------
    The Prestonpans Tapestry celebrates the enduring triumph of youthful Hope and Ambition. The journey 25 year old Bonnie Prince Charlie made from France then through the Scottish Highlands to Victory at Prestonpans is depicted in 104 metre wide embroidered panels.

You can read more of this at http://www.electricscotland.org/show...npans-Tapestry

Register of the Privy Council of Scotland
    -----------------------------------------
    In the range of its functions the council was often more important than Parliament in the running of Scotland. The registers include a wide range of material on the political, administrative, economic and social affairs of Scotland. The council supervised the administration of the law, regulated trade and shipping, took emergency measures against the plague, granted licences to travel, administered oaths of allegiance, banished beggars and gypsies, dealt with witches, recusants, Covenanters and Jacobites and tackled the problem of lawlessness in the Highlands and the Borders.

We have acquired pdf copies of volumes 2 to 8 from Google...

Volume 2 - 1627 to 1628
    Volume 3 - 1629 to 1630
    Volume 4 - 1630 to 1632
    Volume 5 - 1633 to 1635
    Volume 6 - 1635 to 1637
    Volume 7 - 1638 to 1643

2nd Series
    Volume 8 - 1544 to 1660

Each of these volumes has a substantial Introduction which gives a flavour of the contents you will find in each volume. On their own they make an interesting read. Most of these pdf files.

You can learn more of these on our page where I've copied in part of one of the Introductions to give you a flavour of what you will find in these volumes at http://www.electricscotland.com/book...vy_council.htm

Isle of Bute
    ------------
    I found a couple of books about the Isle of Bute...

The Isle of Bute in the olden time; with illustrations, maps, and plans by James King Hewison which is in 2 volumes published in 1893.

Also...

John Stuart, Earl of Bute by J. A. (James Alexander) Lovat-Fraser.

Both are in pdf format and can be viwed on the Stuart of Bute page at http://www.electricscotland.com/webc...uart_bute.html

I thought I'd conclude this newsletter with some Auld Scots Words and our thanks to John Henderson for sending this in...

AULD SCOTS WORDS
    By George Alexander Rodger (1908-1980)
    A Farmer of Concraigie, Caputh Parish, Perthshire, Scotland
    [Author of 'GLEANINGS BY 'GLENNER' in 1978]

Of Scots words I ken quite a few,
    And if you like I’ll tell them noo,
    Working under stress was "trauchle",
    A worn old shoe was ca‘ed a "bauchle".
    A "divot" was the name for clod,
    A fox was often ca'ed a "tod".

The name for earth or soil was "yird",
    The name for bat was`baukie-bird".
    A coo withoot a horn was "hummelled"
    And if you fell, they said "ye tummelled".
    The word for cattle-beasts was "nowt",
    A youthful stallion was a "cowt".

The auld Scots word for cough was "hoast",
    A "bogle" was a Scottish ghost!
    A shirt was often called a "sark",
    And "mirk" was aye the word for dark,
    A blow or knock was known as "dunt",
    The stalk of cabbage was a "runt".

A "maukin" was the name for hare,
    A "gliff" was the auld word for scare.
    The auld Scots word for bowls was "bools",
    Instead o' graves they said "the mools".
    The name they had for yawn was "gant",
    A speech impediment, a "mant".

A flame was often called a "lowe",
    A brush was "besom" or a "cowe".
    The word they had for comb was "caim",
    Your tummy was a "kite" or "wame",
    A reel of thread was aye a "pirn",
    To weep would be to "greet" or "girn".

They aye said "daur" instead o' dare,
    A "glower" the word they had for stare.
    The auld Scots word for hear was "hark!",
    A "lav'rock" was the gay skylark.
    When folk were tired they felt "forfochen",
    The word for quenching thirst was "slochen".

A drunkard was a "drooth" or "boozer",
    A travelling stallion was a "cooser".
    The auld Scots word for trust was "lippen",
    A baby's napkin was a "hippen".
    A Scottish midwife was a "howdie",
    The mole was often termed "mowdie".

A "ratton" was their name for rat,
    And "baudrons" was a pussy-cat.
    Directions were described as "airts",
    And playing cards were known as "cartes".
    A sheep enclosure was a "fank",
    Likewise a ditch was called a "stank".

Folk feeling sad would be "gey dowie",
    A little barrel was a "bowie".
    "Auld Nick" was how they styled The Deevil,
    A porridge pot-stick was a "theevil".
    To fondle tenderly was "cuddlin'",
    And catchin' troots by hand was "guddlin'”.

Colic in horses was a "teenge",
    For scourin' pots wives used a "reenge".
    For puff or pant the word was "pech",
    The vulgar name for flea was "flech!"
    The shafts o' carts were aye ca'ed "trams",
    Knee-belts of course were "nicky-tams".

A wee stack was a "hut" or "frandy",
    Licentious conduct — "houghmagandie".
    To "flype" was turn outside in,
    And "widdershins" was 'gainst the sun,
    Green level meadow-lands were "haughs",
    The soople willow wands were "saughs".

Ben-the-hoose was named "the spence",
    And "gumption" meant plain common-sense.
    "Aise" was the auld Scots name for ashes,
    The word for troublesome was "fashious".
    A cattleman was styled "the purler",
    A piece of bed-room ware "a durler".

A brisk young chap would be a "birkie",
    A "bubbly-jock" was a male turkey.
    The blacksmith's shop was aye "the smiddy",
    Dirty, ragged bairns were "duddie".
    A small amount was "tic" or "wheen",
    Christina's name was cut to "Teen".

The curlews were described as "whaups",
    And brose-bowls made o' wood were "caups".
    "Girss" was the ancient word for grass,
    A "cuddy" was the humble ass.

I've reached the end o' my lang tether,
    I hope that you've enjoyed my blether!

To Readers who have come thus far
    I'll say, "TA, TA," and "AU REVOIR".

And that's it for now and hope you all have a good weekend.

Alastair
    http://www.electricscotland.com

Re: Newsletter 18th March 2011

Thank you for Berwick History and Tapestry. Both interesting!
    kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Hey... I got some of my pictures accepted into the gallery... you can vote for them below if you feel inclined...

Dear Alastair

Congratulations! Your following photo(s) have been approved and entered into The Macallan Masters of Photography competition. Please find below links to your submission(s) for you to view and share.

Seaplane over Vancouver
      http://www.themastersofphotography.c...Detail&id=4349

Seaplane ride over Vancouver
      http://www.themastersofphotography.c...Detail&id=4350

Seaplane over the Mountains
      http://www.themastersofphotography.c...Detail&id=4351

A Cement Truck
      http://www.themastersofphotography.c...Detail&id=4352

Planetarium View
      http://www.themastersofphotography.c...Detail&id=4353

Don't forget to get your friends and family to vote for them!

Comment

Ok, so I voted for you. Does this mean I will now get a summons for Jury Duty?

Comment

LOL!

I like the cement truck, it looks like a squash!
          kellyd:redrose:

Comment

I thought it was a bunch of asparagus myself :-)

Alastair

Comment

Nop... but if I win the prize you'll get to see lots of pictures of Scotland <grin>

Alastair

Comment

Well I placed my votes on---need to get the whip out for some of the slack and idle readers to place their votes. :laugh2::smile:

Comment

Working...
                X