Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stirling Bridge - Andrew de Moray

Taken from the Scotsman

Fighter, patriot and leader - monument call for the other hero of Stirling Bridge
    Published Date: 12 March 2011
    By JOHN ROSS

While William Wallace has been immortalised in print, monument and film, the man said to have masterminded Braveheart's most famous victory is all but forgotten.

Andrew de Moray was knighted at about the same time as Wallace and was once held in equal regard, but he is now relatively unknown, Mel Gibson failing to even mention him in his movie.

But now there are plans to create a national monument to commemorate Moray near Stirling Bridge, where both men jointly led the Scots to victory over the English in 1297. Moray was mortally wounded in the battle, and died soon after, disappearing into relative obscurity, while Wallace went on to become Scotland's hero with a world-famous monument overlooking the site of the victory.

Read more at: http://heritage.scotsman.com/heritag...er-.6732747.jp

Re: Stirling Bridge - Andrew de Moray

Thank you for sharing this! I will be up at Ayr next week and intend on taking in Stirling. There is so much to see!
    kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Tom, I also get the online version of The Scotsman, but don't always get into the Heritage section. Have found in the past many things that have enjoyed reading in the Heritage area. I used to get a separate email of The Heritage. And then they quit posting it like that. Thanks for giving a heads up. Joan

Comment

Something of interest re. Stirling Bridge which you may not have known. In Wallace's time all the surrounding land was marshland and the only route to the castle was via the bridge. A guide in Stirling Castle told me that one enterprising landowner parcelled out plots of land to the peasants for their lifetime providing that they drained the land and made it suitable for living on or planting crops. Smart landowner got back valuable land in the end.

Elda

Comment

Hi Elda,
          the info about the "bog" is true. There are still remants of the "moss" that basically stretched across the middle of Scotland in the areas around Aberfoyle. I forget the landowner but he was certainly not thinking of the interests of the "peasants"!!!

Sandy

Comment

For a detailed study of the moss, use the following link, (pdf format)

Scottish Natural Heritage
            Commissioned Report No. 002
            A historical background of
            Flanders Moss

It has 161 bpages !

http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/publicati...ts/f02lg22.pdf

Ranald

Comment

Working...
            X