Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gardening at Cooperative Extension

1. Re: Gardening at Cooperative Extension

Just a quickie question.....are Rowans the same trees as the Mountain Ash??? Let me know? Thanks, Joan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gardening at Cooperative Extension

Yup it is. This is longer than I wanted it to be but the quick reply fairy indicated that a reply had to be more than 10 characters.

3. Thanks FriedaKateM thanked for this post.
  4. Re: Gardening at Cooperative Extension

May I ask where this fairy is lurking around? Thanks ahead of time. Joan

Post Thanks / Like

Joan, using the Reply button just type only the one word

fairy

and you will see the fairy !!

Ranald

6. Thanks FriedaKateM thanked for this post.
    Like miolchu liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FriedaKateM View Post
    May I ask where this fairy is lurking around? Thanks ahead of time. Joan
    I think it lurks somewhere then when one tries to make a quick post like "yup" it rears its little fairy head.

8. Thanks FriedaKateM thanked for this post.
    Like FriedaKateM liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

There is also a secondary penalty, repeat offenders will be brought before

Tinkerbell

10. Thanks FriedaKateM thanked for this post.
    Like FriedaKateM, miolchu liked this post.
  11. Re: Gardening at Cooperative Extension

I truly believe that to be a "member" of this site, you have to have a "few screws loose", and as I'm accustomed to working with "crazy people", I fit in quite well!!! Mainly, I am speaking about the 3 people who replied to my ?? about "the reply fairy". Cheers, fellows....Joan

P.S. I seem to remember the question about rowans being mountain ash....I've heard there's stories/myths about some kind of spirits in Mtn ash trees...maybe, my brain is having difficulties. Bye...
    Last edited by FriedaKateM; 4th April 2011 at 21:48. Reason: P. S.

12. Like 1938 Observer liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FriedaKateM View Post
    I truly believe that to be a "member" of this site, you have to have a "few screws loose", and as I'm accustomed to working with "crazy people", I fit in quite well!!! Mainly, I am speaking about the 3 people who replied to my ?? about "the reply fairy". Cheers, fellows....Joan

P.S. I seem to remember the question about rowans being mountain ash....I've heard there's stories/myths about some kind of spirits in Mtn ash trees...maybe, my brain is having difficulties. Bye...
    I've just spent five minutes tightening up all "loose screws"

Here are a couple of snippets [with links] regarding Rowan/Mountain Ash

Mythology and Folklore of the Rowan

The rowan's mythic roots go back to classical times. Greek mythology tells of how Hebe the goddess of youth, dispensed rejuvenating ambrosia to the gods from her magical chalice. When, through carelessness, she lost this cup to demons, the gods sent an eagle to recover the cup. The feathers and drops of blood which the eagle shed in the ensuing fight with the demons fell to earth, where each of them turned into a rowan tree. Hence the rowan derived the shape of its leaves from the eagle's feathers and the appearance of its berries from the droplets of blood.

The rowan is also prominent in Norse mythology as the tree from which the first woman was made, (the first man being made from the ash tree). It was said to have saved the life of the god Thor by bending over a fast flowing river in the Underworld in which Thor was being swept away, and helping him back to the shore. Rowan was furthermore the prescribed wood on which runes were inscribed to make rune staves.

read more at the link.. http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/fores...olk/rowan.html

Native American Legends

Legend of the mountain ash berries

A Ojibwa Legend
    In late autumn or winter one will see an entirely different kind of tree dotted here and there among the green pines and spruce. These are Mountain Ash trees covered in a mass of brilliant red berries. The more berries on the tree, the more severe the winter will be. Why is this so? Legend relates that many years ago, even before Canada had a name, a severe and terrible winter set in. Snowdrifts formed in great heights and temperatures dropped to extraordinary degrees below zero.

go to link..... http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Le...es-Ojibwa.html

14. Like miolchu, Alastair liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

FriedaKateM I truly believe that to be a "member" of this site, you have to have a "few screws loose", and as I'm accustomed to working with "crazy people", I fit in quite well!!! Mainly, I am speaking about the 3 people who replied to my ?? about "the reply fairy". Cheers, fellows....Joan

I'd like to think that we're eccentric. John Stuart Mill once wrote something to the effect that "eccentricity has always abounded where strength of character has abounded... and the amount of eccentricity in a society has generally been proportional to the amount of genius and mental vigor that it contained... that so few now dare be eccentric marks one of the chief dangers of the time." - Essay on Liberty - 1859.

16. Thanks FriedaKateM thanked for this post.
    Like 1938 Observer liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi!!
    I live in Massachusetts, but lived in Vermont for a while, they love their maple syrup time!! My kids always preferred Aunt Jemima syrup lol but I bet now that they are all adults they would appreciate the real thing!

18. Like miolchu liked this post.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information