Gardening at Cooperative Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gardening at Cooperative Extension

There is also a secondary penalty,:crazy: repeat offenders will be brought before:shocked:

:angelic: Tinkerbell :angelic:

Comment

I truly believe that to be a "member" of this site, you have to have a "few screws loose", and as I'm accustomed to working with "crazy people", I fit in quite well!!! Mainly, I am speaking about the 3 people who replied to my ?? about "the reply fairy". Cheers, fellows....Joan

P.S. I seem to remember the question about rowans being mountain ash....I've heard there's stories/myths about some kind of spirits in Mtn ash trees...maybe, my brain is having difficulties. Bye...
      Last edited by FriedaKateM; 4 April 2011, 21:48. Reason: P. S.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedaKateM View Post
        I truly believe that to be a "member" of this site, you have to have a "few screws loose", and as I'm accustomed to working with "crazy people", I fit in quite well!!! Mainly, I am speaking about the 3 people who replied to my ?? about "the reply fairy". Cheers, fellows....Joan

P.S. I seem to remember the question about rowans being mountain ash....I've heard there's stories/myths about some kind of spirits in Mtn ash trees...maybe, my brain is having difficulties. Bye...
        I've just spent five minutes tightening up all "loose screws":tongue::angelic:

Here are a couple of snippets [with links] regarding Rowan/Mountain Ash :cool:

Mythology and Folklore of the Rowan

The rowan's mythic roots go back to classical times. Greek mythology tells of how Hebe the goddess of youth, dispensed rejuvenating ambrosia to the gods from her magical chalice. When, through carelessness, she lost this cup to demons, the gods sent an eagle to recover the cup. The feathers and drops of blood which the eagle shed in the ensuing fight with the demons fell to earth, where each of them turned into a rowan tree. Hence the rowan derived the shape of its leaves from the eagle's feathers and the appearance of its berries from the droplets of blood.

The rowan is also prominent in Norse mythology as the tree from which the first woman was made, (the first man being made from the ash tree). It was said to have saved the life of the god Thor by bending over a fast flowing river in the Underworld in which Thor was being swept away, and helping him back to the shore. Rowan was furthermore the prescribed wood on which runes were inscribed to make rune staves.

read more at the link.. http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/fores...olk/rowan.html

Native American Legends

Legend of the mountain ash berries

A Ojibwa Legend
        In late autumn or winter one will see an entirely different kind of tree dotted here and there among the green pines and spruce. These are Mountain Ash trees covered in a mass of brilliant red berries. The more berries on the tree, the more severe the winter will be. Why is this so? Legend relates that many years ago, even before Canada had a name, a severe and terrible winter set in. Snowdrifts formed in great heights and temperatures dropped to extraordinary degrees below zero.

go to link..... http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Le...es-Ojibwa.html

Comment

FriedaKateM I truly believe that to be a "member" of this site, you have to have a "few screws loose", and as I'm accustomed to working with "crazy people", I fit in quite well!!! Mainly, I am speaking about the 3 people who replied to my ?? about "the reply fairy". Cheers, fellows....Joan

I'd like to think that we're eccentric. John Stuart Mill once wrote something to the effect that "eccentricity has always abounded where strength of character has abounded... and the amount of eccentricity in a society has generally been proportional to the amount of genius and mental vigor that it contained... that so few now dare be eccentric marks one of the chief dangers of the time." - Essay on Liberty - 1859.

Comment

Hi!!
            I live in Massachusetts, but lived in Vermont for a while, they love their maple syrup time!! My kids always preferred Aunt Jemima syrup lol but I bet now that they are all adults they would appreciate the real thing!

Comment

To add my own opinion, in regard to maple syrup.....I much prefer the real thing, and the last I purchased around here was at our local flea market. It was local to Indiana, and it was really good. It tends to be much thinner than the old "Log Cabin", or "Aunt Jemima" syrups. I have memories as a kid of eating buckwheat pancakes with Log Cabin, & drinking milk, and feeling rather queasy from the combo. (didn't like that!) So the real is much better. Joan
              Last edited by FriedaKateM; 5 April 2011, 21:06. Reason: left out a small word.

Comment

Real maple syrup on oatmeal (steel cut not rolled) and life is good.

Comment

I became a Master Gardener six years ago with the intention of having an opportunity to ramp up my tree projects and to have a vehicle for creating therapeutic horticulture projects for some of the individuals I work with out of my office. The Master Gardener program dates from the 1970's and was intended to train cadres of volunteers who perform community service and function as a lay supplement to county cooperative extension service staff who are frequently understaffed and in need of extra hands when responding to community requests for horticulture information and assistance.

I had been germinating tree seedlings on a small scale at home and was able to expand the scale of my projects at cooperative extension. I have finally exceeded the community's capacity for my projects and have more seedling needing to be outplanted than locations to plant them. It is rather unfortunate because I have some of the best stock this year after two summers of above average moisture.

I work with adults who often live in poverty and whose live's have been complicated by psychiatric conditions. A few of them have benefitted from this program and have since been able to return to employment, some on a part-time basis, others full-time.

Comment

Working...
                  X