Strange screen message.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange screen message.

This has only appeared in the last 2 to 3 days, and only on this site.

An error message appears which states "a script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly, if it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive."
    I then hit "Yes" on the message panel to correct the issue.

I've just noticed that Joan is also having the same problem

I've also noticed that it only seems to appear on the main page, not within individual topics.
    Last edited by 1938 Observer; 15 April 2011, 23:29. Reason: added extra text, twice

Re: Strange screen message.

Gordon, I'm glad that you posted your message in this regard! I am still today, having the same problem. On no other sites that I go to, do I have any difficulty with weird message, so it must be our main forum page. Otherwise, all is okay here, except for the bad rainy weather. It was blowing so hard last night, that there were animal-like sounds, and one of my cats was "alerting" to the squeals, etc. Found out eventually, after he & I were going around the house armed with a cane, that it was the wind making "OOOO...." going around the corners of the house. Wasn't sure what it was previously, though!! Such excitement! Joan

Comment

Once again, Alastair, the same thing that Gordon & I described is still doing, even after you took facebook link off. It is only on the main page that it does the strange little screen message, as we described previously. I don't have the bouncing text. So, we still need some work on the system. Thanks, Joan

Comment

I haven't heard back from Steve yet Joan. Don't know where he's got to. As the message is relatively new I can only assume Steve must have done some upgrade that has caused this. That means I simply don't know where to look to try and fix the problem. The Facebook one I could fix as I managed to locate where that was enabled and I just disabled it. As this is a script error I haven't a clue where to look for it and so it's down to Steve to fix when he eventually decides to show his face.

This is simply not my area of expertise but wish it was. I actually hate having to rely on someone else for these things.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair, in IE8 'Help and Support' I found the following... and there is more on the subject, could this be relevant ?

<quote starts>
          How does Internet Explorer help protect me from cross-site scripting attacks?

This information applies to Windows Internet Explorer 8.

Internet Explorer's Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) Filter can help prevent one website from adding script code to another website. XSS Filter watches how websites interact, and when it recognizes a potential attack, it will automatically block script code from running. When this happens, you will see a message in the Information bar letting you know that the webpage was modified to help protect your privacy and security.

If the modified webpage does not work properly, try going to the home page of the website and navigating to the webpage directly. If the page still does not work correctly, contact the website's administrator.
          <quote ends>

Comment

At the end of the day vBulletin is a php program so I suppose it could be considered a script. I currently use IE 9 and Google Chrome and don't get this problem with either of these browsers.

I have to admit that I'm not that satisfied with any browser. I can't seem to use just one browser these days as there is always something I want to do with them and one can do some things but not others. Mind you I am starting to use IE 9 more as it will still play background music on a page whereas the others won't. It's also possible to get the url of a graphic on the page which I use to post them to the newsletter. Chrome won't give me this information.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair...Just an aside! I am having NO problems with the strange little message screen now. Absolutely nothing is popping up! Thanks, to you and/or Steve. Joan

Comment

Well the only thing changed was me removing that Facebook like message above the messages so looks like that was causing it Joan. Steve tells me that since removing it he's getting some database errors so he's going to look at that over the weekend.

We're also going to remove the toolbar as well.

Alastair

Comment

Still getting that cryptic little message, on main forum page only :crazy::unsure:

Comment

I did ask Steve to try removing the toolbar but see it's still there. I'll ask him again to see if that makes any difference.

Alastair

Comment

The latest updates have finally removed that strange little message :cool:
                      Steve to the rescue again :smile:

Comment

Working...
                      X