Scottish Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Films

Remember all those old classics about Scotland, comedy and drama, here is one to start the ball rolling.

:D WhiskyGalore :D Clip from the old move "Whiskey Galore"

Last edited by 1938 Observer; 27 June 2010, 04:46. Reason: added text

Re: Scottish Films

Whisky Galore 49 1 of 8
    All the other parts are available for download from youtube

-------------------------------

Based upon the real-life sinking of the SS Politician, off the Isle of Eriskay during the second World War, it is a hilarious drink-filled romp through the culture of the Western Isles. The dour and staid Captain Waggett is outwitted at every stage by the quick-witted islanders of Todday, who will try everything to get their hands on the precious cargo of uisge-beatha...'the water of life'... as rare as gold-dust during the wartime rationing. Except of course on the Sabbath, when all attempts to retrieve the whisky are postponed by the spiritual needs of the people.

Last edited by 1938 Observer; 27 June 2010, 04:56. Reason: spelling

Comment

:cool: Whisky Galore 49 2 of 8 :cool:

Last edited by 1938 Observer; 27 June 2010, 04:57. Reason: spelling

Comment

We're no' Going tae Blaw/ From the Wheelhouse

A couple of wee gems featuring Duncam MacRae (original Para Handy), Alex MacKenzie (skipper of The Maggie), Roddy McMillan (future Para Handy) and the Immortal John Grieve (forever Dan McPhail engineer of The Vital Spark).
        Somewhere between the Inner Hebrides, Port Glasgow , Crinan, Ardrishaig and the lost continent of Mu this extraordinary crew are still aboard their puffer.

This was NOT a part of any BBC TV series but an independent film made by Douglas Gray. The lyrics and music are by the actor Alex MacKenzie. Guitar accompaniment by George Hill.

Comment

The Vital Spark: "Bad Luck Cargo" (Part 1 of 3)

JOIN THE original crew of the good ship Vital Spark on their precarious voyage of life through the uncharted seas of change. Or, more precisely - up and down the Clyde.

In A Drop o' the Real Stuff wily Captain Para Handy gets the crew involved in whisky smuggling, and in Bad Luck Cargo, never the one to miss an opportunity, the Cap'n takes possession of an unwanted headstone with a view to making a killing on the resale.

It's near mutiny when the crew of the Vital Spark are invited to the wedding of the year - all except Dan... having been at sea for a considerable time, it's inevitable that the odd Quarrel will break out. And the sparks really fly when the Cap'n gives Dan his jotters - is it the end of the line for the Vital Spark and her crew?

A welcome return for an old comedy classic, which truly has stood the test of time and is a must for any connoisseur of classic Scottish comedy.

The only remaining episodes of the classic BBC series.

Comment

These sure bring back old memories... thanks for these posts.

Alastair

Comment

The Maggie ........1954

The Maggie (1954)
              Directed by Alexander Mackendrick

www.alexandermackendrick.com

Comment

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. Maggie Smith. PART 1.

Marcia Blaine School for Girls, Edinburgh,Scotland, on it's first day's return from the summer holidays.
                Oscar for Maggie Smith.

Comment

Greyfriars Bobby Part 1

Original 1961 film all Scottish actors.......a weepy for the family....all parts available :smile: much better than the later USA version :unimpressed:

Comment

I Know Where I'm Going! (1945)

Review Summary
                    While awaiting access to England's Technicolor cameras for their upcoming super-production Stairway to Heaven, the producer-director team of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger dashed off a delightful "personal" project, I Know Where I'm Going. Young middle-class Englishwoman Joan Webster (Wendy Hiller) is determined to have the finer things in life, and to that end she plans to marry Sir Robert Bellinger (Norman Shelley), a wealthy, middle-aged industrialist whom she does not love. En route to the Island of Mull, where her future husband resides, Joan is stranded in a colorful Scottish seacoast town. Inclement weather keeps her grounded for a week, during which time she falls in love with young, insouciant naval officer Torquil McNeil (Roger Livesey). Ignoring the dictates of her heart (not to mention common sense), Joan stubbornly insists upon heading out to sea towards her marriage of convenience, but the exigencies of Mother Nature finally convince her that her future resides on the Mainland. A winner all the way, I Know Where I'm Going is full of large and small delights, including a wonderful sense of regional detail and endearing, three-dimensional characterizations (even the mercenary heroine is a likeable character). The film is easily one of the best of the Powell-Pressburger films of the 1940s, and arguably the team's all-time best romantic drama

Synopsis

Warning: screenonline full synopses contain 'spoilers' which give away key plot points. Don't read on if you don't want to know the ending!

Ever since she was a child, Joan Webster has known where she was going. Single-minded, ambitious and determined, she tells her father that she is engaged to be married to her employer, Sir Robert Bellinger, the head of Consolidated Chemical Industries.

Joan takes the train to Glasgow, from where she is to travel on by car, boat through the Western Isles, another car and finally a ferry from Port Erreig to the remote island of Kiloran, of which her future husband is the Laird. However as she arrives at Port Erreig, the weather turns and she is told the ferry will not be crossing. She meets Naval officer Torquil MacNeil who is visiting on shore leave. Stubbornly waiting for the ferry, she initially rejects to Torquil's suggestion that she stay the night with his friend Catriona Potts. After some time however, she reconsiders, and makes her way to the house, where Torquil introduces her to the Colonel, a falconry enthusiast, and Catriona herself. She learns that Torquil and the Colonel also plan to visit the island.

That night, Torquil, in an adjacent room, talks to Joan through her open window, tells her to count the beams in her room and wish. Joan wishes for a wind to blow the fog away. The next day, Joan wakes to find the fog has indeed gone, but a gale is rising up, making a crossing impossible. Joan agrees to Torquil's suggestion that they move to the Tobermory Hotel. Later, they pass Castle Moy. Torquil explains to her the curse upon the Lairds of Kiloran, who may not enter the castle. Rejecting her offer to enter, Torquil confesses that he is MacNeil, the true Laird of of Kiloran, and that Bellinger has only leased the title. On the bus to Tobermory, she learns that the islanders don't think too highly of Bellinger.

Joan and Torquil make their way to the Coastguard post, where they can contact Kiloran by radio. There she sees a painting depicting the Legend of Corryvreken, which, Torquil explains, concerns the tragic death of a danish prince who was killed in a vast whirlpool which still appears off the coast of Kiloran.

The next day, both Joan and Torquil find themselves separately invited to dinner with the Robinsons, friends of Bellinger. Diplomatically, Torquil pretends not to know Joan. Later, the two visit a ceilidh, celebrating the wedding anniversary of an elderly couple. The atmosphere at the ceilidh is greatly assisted by the presence of three pipers who had been booked by Bellinger for the wedding, but who, like Joan, were stranded. That night, Torquil confesses his love for Joan, who becomes anxious.

The next day, Joan, who is becoming increasingly uncertain of her feelings and desparate to reach Kiloran, bribes the young Kenny - who needs the money to marry his sweetheart Bridie - to ferry her, despite the still unsafe weather. As Torquil accompanies the Colonel in pursuit of a golden eagle, he spies Kenny preparing the boat. Meanwhile, a distraught Bridie pleads with Joan not to make Kenny risk his life. Torquil remonstrates with Joan, but she is unbending. When Catriona suggests to Torquil that Joan is desparate to get away from him because she is in love with him, he decides to go with her and Kenny to Kiloran.

At sea, the boat sails perilously close to the whirlpool of Corryvrekan. Finally, thanks to Torquil's command, they escape the waters and make their way back to Port Erreig. Next day, the weather finally clears, and a cowed and calmer Joan prepares to finally reach Kiloran. As Torquil sees Joan off, they kiss for the first time, after which Torquil makes his way to Castle Moy, and heedless of the curse, decides to enter. As he makes his tour, he remembers the story told to him as a child, of the two lovers killed at the hands of his ancestor, and of the curse placed upon him and all his heirs . As Torquil reads the curse written in stone - that any MacNeil of Kiloran who enters the castle shall not leave a free man but be chained to a woman to the end of his days - Joan returns, fulfilling the curse. http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/...707/index.html

------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately this was the only clip I could locate.........if you are in the Uk and can register with BFI there are a few clips at the link above.
                    -----------------------------------------------------

I Know Where I'm Going

LOCHINVAR in "I know where I'm going"

Comment

Well once again i have to contradict myself :shocked::confused:

I have found what looks to the complete film of the above posted under it abbreviated title of IKWIG I'll put the first two on here........the rest are available on Youtube :smile:

IKWIG 1

-------------------------------------

IKWIG 2

Comment

Working...
                      X