Coyotes in SE Indiana, USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyotes in SE Indiana, USA

Over the years, I have personally had several sightings of coyotes. Once, whilst driving down a well-traveled road, I spied a smallish coyote, looking sick, just standing there. When I get up in the night, I often look out of my alcove windows, especially when it's snowing. I saw two "dogs" coming along heading east, right in front of my mailbox. Rushed to the eastern window & looked down, they were about 8-10 feet from my house....and it was two quite large coyotes, traveling at a determined trot. You could tell that they were on their way to hunt! Had remodeling done upstairs about 4 years ago, & I was sleeping in a tent outside on my own land, & every night, you could hear the coyotes screaming, howling way back behind my neighbor's fields, in the woods. And one day, on an early Sunday morning last year, when I was still working part-time, I passed a field to the south of the highway, & 2 young coyote pups were fooling around. They were the youngest ones I've seen. I live in the country, but it's actually a tiny village, so they are everywhere. Just finished reading a book called The Voice of the Coyote, by J. Frank Dobie. Verrrry interesting, although it's quite an old book, about 1930ish.

Re: Coyotes in SE Indiana, USA

Coyotes in some areas are, genetically speaking, 85-90 percent Coyote (Canis latrans), and from ten to fifteen percent Wolf (Canis lupus), along with some domestic dog DNA.

Along the North Platte River many coyotes have interbred with farm dogs since settlement by European Americans and tend to be larger than the pure coyote type. Some will hunt in packs like domestic dogs and cause a great deal of mischief.

Comment

Tom, you really ought to get & read a copy of J. Frank Dobie's book, THE VOICE OF THE COYOTE. I kind of figured you'd have MORE sightings than I did, because of where you live. At least, I'd imagine you would. Lots of good info, & also some of the myths that came down from the American Indians, as well

Comment

Joan, you have just cost me $3.00 plus postage !! Yes I have ordered an ex-library book, from a retail seller in the UK

I note that ABE list USA sellers quoting from $0.60 to $5.00 plus shipping.

I am looking forward to receiving the book, just don't know when I will have time to read it !!

An interesting subject.

Ranald

Comment

Hey...Ranald, just send me the bill!!! It is quite an interesting book, if you're talking about The Voice of the Coyote, as above. I sell some books myself, but it is not truly a business. I just sell the ones I have here, through book ads placed in the Antique Week newspaper here. When you do read it, let me know how you liked it. I've tried for years to promote reading, mainly with my own 7 grandkids, but have always given books to people who are close to me. I just sold one by Will James, Lone Cowboy. (he wrote Smokey, the Cowhorse) I also volunteer with the Hoosier Hills Literacy League near here. Joan PS: I buy Used books as well, just to read them, & maybe pass them on!
          Last edited by FriedaKateM; 26 April 2011, 20:56. Reason: too many lllll's & oooo's

Comment

Hi Joan,
            there are coyotes in our area of Ontario. When we moved there 30 years ago it was very unusual to hear about them but now they are becoming a "nuisance".
            I say that because Oakville is a pretty built up area (and that continues for miles east and west). I was back in Oakville in March / early April and my neighbour over the back was telling me that he has had a couple of encounters on his street. These ones are quite large and are predating on cats and dogs in the backyards. They are not too intimidated by humans and that can possibly become a problem. Right now I am in western Manitoba and there are certainly coyotes out here, but my daughter's cat goes out every night and so far comes back in thr morning~

Sandy

Comment

We have Bears running around in our back yard.
              Most of us try not to leave any of our garbage out there.
              Marie

Comment

Working...
              X