Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unnatural selection: what is killing America's mammals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unnatural selection: what is killing America's mammals?

An alarming potential disaster to animals, for which the human is mainly responsible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wondermon...at-is-ki.shtml

I note that in Scotland,, warning signs are being placed on certain road sides, indicating deer tend to move at this time of year....

Many are killed yearly, by motor vehicles.

Ranald

Re: Unnatural selection: what is killing America's mammals?

It is embarrassing to live in an area that prides itself on its wide-open spaces and its wildlife. The irony is that out here the wildlife identification guides have to show the animals in two dimensions with treadmarks so drivers can identify what they're driving over. The state sells licenses. Landowners manage wildlife. There are no safe areas for animals to cross highways that transect traditional seasonal migration corridors. Landowners own the vegetation on the land they occupy and try to squeeze out every bit of nutrition for their livestock. There is not much left for game to eat, especially during the 9-month dormant season when there is no vegetative production.

Comment

Now, I am speaking for the Eastern Midwest, i.e., I worked as a nurse for many years, usually working evenings/nights. Coming home one late night, driving an old VW bug, I used to see deer running across, or standing around on the road every night. I was always very careful, but this night, a very large herd of white tail deer came across in front of me. I swerved to the left, but one of them clipped the rt fender, & kept going on. I was shaking, as it scared me so badly. Got out, & it had taken off the rt fender, rt headlight, & the front of the car was damaged, & deer urine & hair were on it. I was able to drive, so went on down to the sheriff's office, & reported it, they checked the front of vehicle. Another time, I was heading south of here to a meeting, driving a white Chevy S10 pickup. A large doe ?, came across from left to right in front of me. Did the same thing, crumpled the fender, headlight, & the hood, there was also deer urine & hair on the vehicle. (I had to prove it to insurance.) I have had many other near misses. Having worked in Cincinnati, coming through the city, a whole herd of deer ran across the road in front of me again. Up by the lake, I could have sworn that the "gangs of deer" were hanging around waiting for me to come back from work. I did become paranoid, would see eyes gleaming in the headlights, even of mice!!! There were nights that I had to come to a full stop, because the deer were standing around on the highway in the darkness. I truly feel that in this part of the country, we have many more white tail deer, than we had during the pioneer times, especially out here in the country. Most of my friends have had accidents with deer. So far, have only had two accidents!!! Joan

Comment

Wildlife casualties are quite significant here also.............

Reducing the Incidence of Wildlife Roadkill: Improving the visitor experience in Tasmania

One of Australia’s premier tourist locations, Tasmania also boasts Australia’s highest incidence of wildlife roadkill, a sight that often offends tourists. Tasmanian tourism is highly regarded for its wildlife tourism sector, which attracts many visitors to the state to view and interact with wildlife. Tasmanian newspapers and State government departments commonly receive letters and telephone calls from visitors and residents who demand government action to reduce the amount of roadkill on Tasmanian roads.

Read on, view other articles also at the link.

http://eprints.utas.edu.au/3027/

Comment

Thursday, 21 April 2011 Road Kill Rescue

NARRATION
          One hundred and ten thousand brushtail possums, 30,000 pademelons, 16,000 wallabies. More than 3000 Tasmanian Devils. At least 300,000 mammals and birds are killed every year. That's an average of one every two minutes, just in Tasmania.

Read/view at the link

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3198257.htm

Comment

Working...
          X