SNP gain majority in Scottish Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNP gain majority in Scottish Elections

A truly historic election for Scotland. Who would have thought the SNP could win an overall majority in the Scottish Parliament.

This will mean a fundamental rethink by all in Scotland. It's now certain that there will be a referendum on whether the Scottish people want independence.

I also believe the media will need to change there overall tack as it's traditionally been labour biased.

Alastair

Re: SNP gain majority in Scottish Elections

Hi Alastair,
    it certainly seems that the so=called mainline parties in Scotland have lost the plot, so to speak. But I cannot help but think that one of the major reasons why the SNP have done so well is that they made a promise to not increase Council Tax.
    I can see why ordinary people would vote for that. My question is, just how is the the SNP going to maintain that promise with an overall reduction in their income from Westminster? Taxes have already been frozen for 4 years, but costs continue to climb, wages increase, etc. I suppose we are going to have reductions in all sorts of services, with blame being placed back on Westminster's door for not providing the funds.
    It's all very well pouting now and stating that Scotland wants independence, and perhaps it does, but it still seems to me that these people are living in cloud cuckoo land - all will be well when we are "free" and get the money for "our oil and gas" - which is in decline.
    I like to believe that I am an optimist, but "realism" for me is too strong on this matter. Scotland has very little industry, has a disproportionate number of "skivers" and too many people who believe "it's not my business", it's the "cooncil's job" to fix everything.
    Walk down many high streets and look at the empty shops, crumbling infrastructure and the pervading signs of Yob Culture. What exactly does the SNP think it can do to reverse the trend?
    BUT at least we did vote and give them a majority. It may be a long 4 years, but at least it is a wake up call to the other parties.
    Sandy

Comment

From what I know... which is limited... the crime rate had gone down in Scotland due to having another 1,000 police officers.

I would suspect that they will be looking at wage cuts or freezes to hold jobs in the short to medium term.

I've never factored in the Oil & Gas into my calculations but they are now generating close to 30% of so renewable energy. Were they Independent they would not need to contribute so much money to the EU. The fishing industry should recover after years of decline. We have a very good agricultural system. And we do have some good industry especially in the Bio area and renewables. The financial sector is recovering. Overall I can't see any problem in them them being able to run their own country from a financial stand point. Mind also they won't be contributing huge amounts to fund a nuclear deterrent.

So while I have no doubt that they can run as an independent country I do have doubts on how well it will be run. There is no sign of any vision when it comes to tourism and exports.

Alastair

Comment

Hi Al,
        I doubt the crime figures, the old saying "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics" comes to mind. I spend most of my time in Scotland these days and from my experience and reading the quality of life for many ordinary people is marred by "feral youth". As to the 1000 extra police officers that was a promise at the last election and "statistics" have been produced to supportthat it has happened. There also stats that show that tis is a "fudged" number. Whatever the truth, in the "ggod old days" in Kirkie the police office was right in the middle of town. Two policemen would walk the beat in opposite directions and meet outside the office. Any miscreants were "dealt with". Now the police station is 5 minutes away from the main street but any calls about problems are routed through Glasgow, and by the time a "car" is dispatched the problem is over.
        Knife crime in Scotland is a MAJOR concern and sentencing is of the "soft soap" kind - let's rehabilitate rather than punish> Call me right wing (and I am) but the time for some elements of punishment need to be re-introduced.
        There are "hordes' of people who cannot find a job - and many do not want to. There are many positive aspects to living in Scotland and the UK and I know I sound negative.
        The SNP's raison d'etre is to establish a separate country. They have shown that they are beginning to understand the "left from the right" within their own party and they certainly have the backing of the voters (I do not know the overall %age of the population who voted for them, but that does not matter in our "model").
        They have made some staggering statements about "renewable energy" but IMHO Windfarms are not the way to go. They are known to be ineffective and inefficient. Only this last week there were figures produced showing the subsidies that were paid to companies to shutdown some of the turbines. I have not seen any recently to show the subsidies that are being paid to farmers etc, who permit this "crop" on their land (most of it very unproductive, so you bet the farmers like them).
        We can have cleaner coal (jobs), plant LOTS more trees (remove Carbon Dioxide from the air and generate oxygen), the mature trees are a cash crop and can be "burned" cleanly (or other uses).
        Certainly I agree that there should NOT be any nuclear/atomic plants in Scotland (Westminster wants more) - witness Japan; and will support the Scottish Gov't in its efforts to deny that push.

Becoming independent will NOT solve the fishing problems- especially within the EU... The Brussels unelected bureaucrats are not listening the fishing industry.
        Scotland imports Natural gas from Norway, we shall not be getting any of the "old money" back (it's Scotland's oil!!!~~~ Oh what a wonderful slogan)
        Of course the majority now give the SNP some more leverage in dealing with Westminster and perhaps some more revenue generating powers will be granted (i.e TAXES).
        I do not see the financial services industry providing thousands of jobs, the Silicon Valley North situation has decreased, etc...

An independent Scotland will go the way of Ireland (Recall MR. Salmond's Celtic Tigers).
        I agree totally about tourism - a HUGE industry that is grossly mismanaged (jobs for the boys) - just another Quango. How I love that acronym. As I recall it came to be in the 70's - Quasi Autonomous Non-Government Organisation.
        In its many forms Scotland's biggest industry is Government.
        There is only 1 tax payer and he/she has to pay for too many levels of Government - Local, sometimes regional, Scottish Gov't, UK Gov't and EU Gov't. At some point we have to get rid of this hierarchy and introduce a simple system (And thank goodness system got thrown out. What a ludicrous proposal).
        I see that there are least two Scottish political "leaders" who have thrown themselves on their swords. I shall be watching to see what sinecures they get!

Wow, guess who has time on his hands just now, baby sitting my 2 year old g'son and he is having a nap!!!~~~

Sandy

Comment

The problem with Scotland is that it is using what money it has to give the Scottish people more. I see absolutely no movement towards earning money through tourism and exports. That I believe is the key problem for the country. I have of course been saying this for years.

It will be very interesting to see what happens in the next couple of years as the budget cuts start in earnest. Unemployment will grow. Salary cuts and freezes are bound to happen. You simply can't keep freezing council tax, providing free University education, fund more police, etc. while you are bringing in less and less money.

You can sell yourself out of the situation but there is no sign of any real movement in that direction. I noted SDI saying they had brought 300 million in new investment into Scotland but that's just a drop in the ocean on what is needed.

Through the SDA I have been revealing why Scotland, if they get Independence, should have nothing to do with the EU and instead join EFTA. In fact I published some of that in the SDA Political forum.

At the end of the day the referendum is going to offer two choices as I see it. First would be increased powers for Scotland and Second would be Independence. I am personally in favour of Independence.

Looks like your g'son is having a good nap Sandy... and I deleted your duplicate post for you.

Alastair

Comment

Hi Al,
            thanks for deleting the duplicate. I seem tio be getting some strange results on the different machines I am using. When I posted that long message I was using a MAC and I still do not know why it posted twice.
            I am now back in Ontario (the wee man finally woke up~~) and am using a Windows XP machine and getting different results.
            If I get time I'll try to document thern in the correct forum.

I was talking to friends in Kirky today (well the wife and her pal) and they all seem cock-a-hoop over the election results (and they were staunch labour supporters for years).

Independence would mean that Scotland could / would levy and collect all its own taxes. Not sure of the projections on that.
            I agree that it is in an area such as tourism that so much more needs to be done. I think it is still the 2nd biggest industry in Scotland. Everywhere I travel I meet poeople who are interested in going to Scotland and I have always done my own wee Ambassador bit. I try to find out areas of interest and then point people in the right direction. For the last 3 years I have hosted a friend from Canada and we have travelled to many places. The last visit was specifically to places that I had never been. I created a Powerpoint presentation so that he would have a record of all the sites.
            I suspect that this year it will be th whisky trail...
            I don't drink the crittur so I shall be OK to chauffeur him around.
            I am sure we shall make a digital record of that trip too.

As usual starting to slip off topic so time to stop.

Sandy

Comment

Well off topic or not you can of course donate your pictures and trip notes to Electric Scotland as we do have a suggested tours area within the Travel section :-)

That was interesting that both being Labour supporters decided to go SNP. Did they say why they decided to do that?

Alastair

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                That was interesting that both being Labour supporters decided to go SNP. Did they say why they decided to do that?

Alastair
                I did not ask. As a single man perhaps you do not "feel the pain"!
                I know that years ago I sent in a suggested "one day trip" in narrative form.
                Is there a way to post "pps" files"?

Been celebrating "geting old" so so not sure if this "scans" properly~

Comment

Why don't you email me one as an attachment and I can see how we might use it Sandy.

Alastair

Comment

Hi Al, when I get back to the UK at the end of the month I'll send you one.

Sandy

Comment

Thanks Sandy.

Alastair

Comment

My feelings about this are, "Good! Let's give the SNP a chance. The powers that be have not been serving the people well. And the SNP has advocated some positive things. SO let them have at it!" Perhaps if this attitude is shared by a significant number of Scots, that would explain the SNP's success. The other edge of THAT sword, however, would be that if they can not reverse the economic trend of enriching the few at the expense of the people, then the SNP will likely end up losing power.
                        With respect to independence: I am an idealist and dislike (intensely) the english officialdom's attitude toward Scotland (both historically and currently). So I am for independence, which means I am for a referendum. And without the SNP gaining power, a referendum would never happen. So, three cheers for the SNP! Now, let's see if they can avoid the corruption so often brought by power.
                        author of "A Faerie's History of Caledonia" (a short history of Scotland - with a twist).
                        http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34462
                        author page:
                        http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/jeffmaurer

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                          From what I know... which is limited... the crime rate had gone down in Scotland due to having another 1,000 police officers.

I would suspect that they will be looking at wage cuts or freezes to hold jobs in the short to medium term.

I've never factored in the Oil & Gas into my calculations but they are now generating close to 30% of so renewable energy. Were they Independent they would not need to contribute so much money to the EU. The fishing industry should recover after years of decline. We have a very good agricultural system. And we do have some good industry especially in the Bio area and renewables. The financial sector is recovering. Overall I can't see any problem in them them being able to run their own country from a financial stand point. Mind also they won't be contributing huge amounts to fund a nuclear deterrent.

So while I have no doubt that they can run as an independent country I do have doubts on how well it will be run. There is no sign of any vision when it comes to tourism and exports.

Alastair
                          Should the people of Scotland vote for independence things could be quite complicated. Scotland is a constituent country in the UK whereas England is not.
                          England is not represented in the UN and an English football team will not be allowed to compete as England is not recognised by the IOC. Presumably England would have to apply to the EU for membership as a country on its own.
                          It would also take years and years for Scotland to gain control of its oil fields so it will be interesting to read the SNP's proposals to run Scotland as an independent country.
                          Irene
                          http://www.negotiatenow.co.uk

Comment

I entirely agree that it will be a complex matter to extract Scotland from the United Kingdom. However we already have our own legal system which is a start. I would imagine that negotiations on the oil and gas will take some time and I'm pretty sure there won't be any back payments.

I really like the SDA's views of an Independent Scotland. They are really a think tank at this time and they are gradually pulling together their vision on all aspects of Scottish life. They have said they fully support the SNP to get Scottish Independence but after we do they want to be the party Scots will choose for the new Independent Scotland.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                            X