A young Scot driving in the F! race in Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A young Scot driving in the F! race in Turkey

Are we going to see a young Scot making headway in F1 in Turkey on Sunday?

Sunday 8 May: Race – 1300 GMT

On the grid tomorrow at 13th place, Paul is only 2.096 seconds slower than Vettal who is number 1 !

The first few laps will be very crowded, with drivers trying to overtake.

It might be UK only, but here is the BBC link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/default.stm

Paul’s home page

http://www.pauldiresta.com/home

Ranald

Re: A young Scot driving in the F! race in Turkey

It would be interesting to see a Scots driver following in the wake of Jackie Stewart and Jim Clark.:cool:

Formula One 2011 Sebastian Vettel Crashes in Turkey [Practice Session

Comment

Still no full account of why Paul was pulled in to quit the race, perhaps in future, he should avoid 13th place on the grid.

Ranald

Comment

David Coulthard believes Paul Di Resta succeeding Michael Schumacher would be 'perfect scenario'
        :cool:

The former F1 driver says his fellow Scot has shown he has what it takes to make it at the very top of the sport.

12 August 2011 12:03 GMT
        Scotland on TV.

David Coulthard believes Paul Di Resta would be the ideal replacement for Michael Schumacher at Mercedes, if and when the seven-time world champion retires.

Scottish driver Di Resta has made an encouraging start to his career in Formula One, winning eight points from his first 11 races and finishing seventh, his highest placing to date, in the recent Hungarian Grand Prix.

Having raced for Mercedes in DTM before making the step up to F1, Di Resta has been tipped to rejoin the team in place of Schumacher in the future and Coulthard believes it makes perfect sense, as he looks to advance his career.

“Unquestionably for me that would be the perfect scenario,” Coulthard told STV. “Not that I want to force Michael out of the sport but when he decides to retire, whether it is this year, next year or whenever, Paul has a good relationship with Mercedes.

“He drove for them in DTM and there is no question he has already established himself as a complete Grand Prix driver. All he needs really is a car that is more capable than Force India has at the moment.

“Of course, Force India have desires to be a winning team in the future but, realistically, he has got to make tough decisions and try and fast-track himself into the best car possible.”

As well as winning the DTM championship last season, Di Resta was twice victorious at Formula Three level and, having proven his credentials in F1, Coulthard believes he has what it takes to go to the very top of the sport.

“Past performance is no guarantee of future success,” he warned. “But, that said, Paul is a quality driver. If given the tools, there is no question in my mind that he can compete for Grand Prix victories and championships in the future.

Whether he can beat Sebastian [Vettel], Lewis [Hamilton], Jenson [Button], Mark Webber and all these guys that are there, there’s no point speculating. We just have to wait until he gets the opportunity and he will prove us right or wrong on the race track.

“I think that Paul has surpassed many people’s hopes and expectations for his first half season in Formula One. He has come straight in and Adrian Sutil, who is his established team mate, straight away he has been out-qualifying him.

“For me that is the real tester because in a Formula One car, taking it absolutely to the limit and qualifying, if you can achieve that then the rest will follow.”

Winning the Formula One championship eluded Coulthard during his 14-year career in the sport but he believes Di Resta has already shown he has a greater prospect of going one better than his compatriot.

“I think he is more complete than I was as a racing driver,” Coulthard conceded. “I think he has got better one-lap speed than I had.

“I like to think I wasn’t bad when it came to wheel-to-wheel racing but I think the key thing that was missing in my career was consistency in qualifying.

video at link. http://sport.stv.tv/world-sport/2659...fect-scenario/

Comment

David Coulthard backs Di Resta

F1 2011 UK - Paul di Resta Interview Post Qualifying

Formula 1 2011 - GP Monaco - Di Resta

Comment

Di Resta onboard Turkey (wet)

Comment

Working...
            X