HTC Desire Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTC Desire Smartphone

Just to say I recently purchased this phone as we are looking to add a mobile app for our community so needed one to ensure it could be used properly.

Like many I was a touch confused as to what to purchase as you have the basic choice of an iPhone, an Android phone or a Windows phone.

I did note that Android had just as many apps as the iPhone system. However my particular problem was that I need reading glasses and so I got the opportunity to try the iPhone and discovered I did need to wear them to read the screen.

I then saw an advert for the HTC Desire HD. I discovered that the HTC Desire was getting an excellent write up but this HD version had a larger screen. I this went to a local smartphone store to see it and found I could read this screen without needing my reading glasses. And so my decision was easy after that and I purchased one.

I don't actually use it much as working from home I really don't need a smartphone but as I say I do need it to work on our app. What I have discovered is that when you hold down the power button you get three options one of which is To power it off. I've been told that by selecting this option your battery should last for up to 14 days. However this option is not working for me.

For example... yesterday my power went off in the house so I wanted to phone the power company to see how long it would be before the power would come back. My phone was dead. And so when the power came back I charged it up and then did a power off. Today as I was writing this article I wanted to remind myself what the three power options were so switched it on to find out only to find it booting up and then going blank on me. Yes it had lost its power once again.

So while I like the phone it does seem to me I need to charge it every day to make sure it will work. That is a big down for me with this phone. As it happens I have an old grandfather clock that is an eight day clock. I am in the habit of winding it up each Sunday. I had thought with this phone that I'd also charge it each Sunday and so get into that habit. But as it's doesn't seem to be actually powering off that is an issue.

I do like the phone but the one big downside is keeping the battery charged.

That said I understand most smartphone users are used to charging their phones daily so guess for them this won't be a problem.

Alastair

Re: HTC Desire Smartphone

Hi al,I have noticed this phone appears to be a heavy uSer of battery power,however as I will be using it in my vehicle,charging it won't be a problem.
    Euan..

Comment

I did follow up with HTC and they said my battery might be faulty so they're sending me a new one which I should get on Tuesday. I'll report back on what happens.

Alastair

Comment

Al, if you find heavy battery usage, check to see what features are enabled, and if you really need them enabled. A quick google search will come up with some great tips on saving the battery power. So far i don't see mine using up too much power.

Euan..
        Euan..

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
          I did follow up with HTC and they said my battery might be faulty so they're sending me a new one which I should get on Tuesday. I'll report back on what happens.

Alastair
          Curious as to if this fixed your issue? I am having a similar issue.

Thanks in advance,

Mason
          Mason Uhlrich. voip engineer,

Comment

AH... I forgot to come back on this one. They did send me a new battery and that has fixed the problem.

Alastair

Comment

To be frank you'd be lucky to use it for 2 days without recharging. I'm kind of fortunate in that I don't have anyone that needs to contact me while I'm away so I usually have mine powered off and only switch it on to make a call. That way it last me a couple of weeks.

I did once need to be contacted over 2 days and thus had to keep it powered on and that's why I know it lasted 2 days which was just enough. I'd have had problems if I'd needed to go a third day.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
              X