Security issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security issue

I thought I would highlight an issue I had yesterday just in case it happens to you.

I got a phone call from a company Techknokis Technologies who said they were working for Microsoft to help fix a problem I had on my computer. They said that when Microsoft was doing the updates they found that the security updates were being downloaded but no installed. This was the problem that they had been hired to fix.

They asked to check my log files and as I just had to browse to whatever file they wanted I was ok on doing that. They then identified a McAfee file that they said was a Windows XP file which should not be on my computer. They said they could fix that right now if they'd let them take control of my computer.

At that point I refused them access. I did however ask them to spell out their company name. I also said I'd need to verify them with Microsoft and they gave me a number to call which was 888 860 3323. I then hung up the phone.

On the basis this was likely to be a scam I decided to phone Microsoft support to see if that number was a Microsoft number which it wasn't. Microsoft also told me that a lot of people had been phoning them about this and that they said they would never hire a company to phone an individual for this type of issue.

And so a warning for you in case you get this type of phone call.

Alastair

Re: Security issue

Al, last night i received a call from someone saying my computer was infected or was having problems.He asked me if i was near the computer(which i was), and asked me to press the windows button and the R button similtaneosly then type in INF in the box that came up. That's when i smelt a rat... I asked where he was calling from(California), without the US accent and who he was working for,but couldn't make out what he was saying. I then said i didn't believe a word he was saying and hung up. He rang back twice before he gave up...Googling showed it's a scam with many variations.
    Generally when i get these type of calls i don't hang up, i put the phone down and walk away, after an hour or so i hang up.
    Euan..
    Euan..

Comment

Hey to you fellows....Here in the USofA, we have a national "Do Not Call" list, which I got onto a long while ago. I do not receive calls like that, & never have. Just a thought. Joan <smile>

Comment

I would have been suspicious right away, how would MS know my phone number????....

I like Euan's solution to that type of call. I am probably going to regret saying this, but we do not seem to receive too many "sales" calls and if we do we just put the phone down...

While I am here in Canada I do not have that problem anyway because I do not have a phone of any sort. We got rid of the landline to the house and everyone else uses cell (mobile) phones.

Sandy

Comment

I was sure suspicious but they seemed to know quite a bit about my computer so I decided to follow their instruction up to the point when they wanted to take control of my computer.

I am on the Do Not Call list but still get calls from the various charities, etc. I note newspaper can still phone to solicit subscriptions as can Political parties and public service companies doing questionnaires.

I think we all just need to apply common sense to these situations.

Alastair

Comment

Just to take this issue of security a bit further, and a bit of track....A few weeks ago i got a call from my bank asking me to confirm some transactions on my credit card. Apparently, what these scammers do when they get your credit card details is put through a transaction for a small amount like $5.01, if it goes through then they know they have an active credit card.Then they hit you for transactions of hundreds of $$. My credit card was hit for over $500 by someone in the UK (supposedly), but got it back. Apparently i bought a couple of airline tickets on Kenya Airlines...
            The only thing i could think of that would have allowed this to happen was Sue bought some online Birthday cards form a company in the UK?..Needless to say, we cancelled our subscription to that company and sent an email letting them know what happened.
            Euan..

Comment

Although I can get access to the board, nearly ALL other links on es cannot be accessed. (as at 11:25 an GMT)

I have tried 'What's New', and several others on the top menu, and all that happens is 'waiting for response from es' (or words to that effect).

Ranald
              Last edited by Ranald; 18 May 2011, 05:28. Reason: spelling error

Comment

As at 13:29 GMT ALL links now working - thanks...

Ranald

Comment

Working...
                X