Axe Lords for paid senators says Cameron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axe Lords for paid senators says Cameron

I hate it when my intuition is correct. Please read this article in this mornings Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-senators.html
    kellyd:redrose:

Re: Axe Lords for paid senators says Cameron

I do not want to hog the board but here is another story in today's news. This is down the road from me about a mile and a half.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-13437376

Comment

I only have one concern on the abolition of the Lords and that is to do with the current state of our Politics.

At this time peers are there for life but as a lot of them manage estates which often means developing projects that won't benefit the current generation but the next they take a longterm view of things. Whereas our current crop of politicians are there for the short term. They always keep an eye on things which will help them get re-elected and that often means looking at the short term and not the longterm. In the old days we had real Statesmen that would look to the long term benefit of the country but we don't seem to have these kind of people today.

Look at the USA.. the 2012 Presidential elections are already on the way with everyone fund raising like anything and the President already making political visits for fund raising. I personally think they should ban all electioneering up to just 3 months prior to the election.

Alastair

And as our voting record shows only about half the voting population actually voting

Comment

Allie,

As a historian, my concerns are the severe changes. This will be the end to basically a 3000 year system. I know it has had changes but when a person of chivalry thinks of titles, parliament and kingdoms, they automatically think of the UK. I know there are other countries who still have this system but 98% of the world thinks of here.

I believe the Lords and Ladies of parliament should be cross trained. They should sit upon certain cabinets or committees say 8 to 15 years then switch. This would keep them up to speed on current issues, pull them out of the ruts and allow them to experience another aspect of governing.

I have many more concerns when it comes to the democracy of a Senate. My main issues are National Health, housing for the poor and elderly and the end to Christianity based government.

Comment

Well my own research has shown that when we read the Bible was the time that Scots were most successful in the world.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
          X