Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

House Maintenance, storm door, rotting porch post...etc., etc. Frustration!!~~~~~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Maintenance, storm door, rotting porch post...etc., etc. Frustration!!~~~~~

Just the other day, I tried to go out my front door, however, upon trying the storm door, I could not get out!!! Went around the house from the back door, with a can of WD-40, & a flat head screw driver. The little "nib" from the inner mechanism of the handle assembly, had evidently broken off, as heard something fall down into the door, which made the door OPEN all the time. Hard to explain! In effect, the metal piece which snicked into place in the hole of the striker plate, had broken off. I took the handle off the outside, trying to take the whole both sides off, so I could at least take the pieces to the hardware store in a bag, to attempt to get a new mechanism. Found then that with the handle off on outside, I couldn't really get back in easily, so put it all back on again. I called a dear friend, Andy, & left a message, he called back fairly quickly. Came over Monday, & took all the stuff off again, took it over to a big what we used to call a "lumber yard", they said, just contact Larson Door, & they'd send a new mechanism FREE. Well I got on computer, found the above, & finally got a screen where I typed in the prob, along with ID# of door. Next day, they sent an email to me, & I've ordered the inner mechanism, it's all okay, as they included a picture of the parts. But, the total is $14.50. Then Andy is going to work on the rotten post, & also put up a wide sill by front window, so the cat boys can sit easier & look out at the world going by our door. Having a house of your own is a blessing....but sometimes a big pain, and you know where that is!!! :O) Joan Andy is a guy I used to work with at an alcohol/drug detox/rehab unit, at a hospital near here. We worked NIGHTS, & sometimes, it could be a wild place!! He's still working in the same field, Employee Assistance Program.

Re: House Maintenance, storm door, rotting porch post...etc., etc. Frustration!!~~~~~

I was contemplating getting some new windows as I also have storm windows which means that I need to unscrew them to be able to clean them. While looking at them I noted my siding wasn't looking too good under the porch. I figured... this could be expensive. I got in one company to give me a quote on new windows and for the three under the porch they wanted just on $5,000 including tax. I thought to myself that I probably didn't need new windows anyway! <grin>

However when looking at the windows I noted that the surrounds were cracking. The window chap said it wouldn't take too much to fix that with some siding. He also mentioned that there was a good company locally that could do a power wash on it was well.

Well I decided I'd check out the siding company and I'm now waiting for them to give me a quote. Mind you I was telling him about the price of windows and he said he's done double glazing windows for around 30 years now and could probably do mine for a lot less like around $1500. So I'm getting a quote on that as well.

While I am delighted with the house I can't say I live in a great area as there are a lot of rented properties in the area. That just means there isn't great scope for increasing the value of the property and so there is a bit of a limit on how much I should spend on the house.

So I await the quote and will decide what to do. I did actually get a very good tax refund last week which was completely unexpected so am prepared to use that windfall if the price is right.

Alastair

Comment

Re: House Maintenance, storm door, rotting porch post...etc., etc. Frustration!!~~~~~

In regard to all of the above projects I listed, Andy came by today, & fixed them. He is quite reasonable, as we're friends from way back. Of course, I had to get up early, as he was coming by at 08:30. HA!! It's so nice to have a storm door that shuts & locks, & now have the storm window up, to let air in. The cat boys are enjoying their new perch, a larger shelf, instead of narrow sill on front window, and my porch posts look better, but soon will have to paint them. Andy will come by again & chain saw the dead limbs on the old maple trees in front, as well. Thankful when things work the way they should!! PS: However, with the new cat shelf, it's caused me to move all of my living room furniture to a new arrangement!! And the furniture overall, is quite heavy. That's why I'm on the computer now. All I have to do yet is move some pictures on the wall. Joan

Comment

Here it's now November!!! Primed the cat shelf, but waiting till can't paint outside to truly finish it. I had to get myself moving on the porch posts...as it is starting to get colder. One cannot paint when temperature is below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, which is 10 Celsius. I started by priming the unpainted wood that my friend had put around each post. That was easy. Then following the next day or so, I started painting the posts themselves after using metal tined brush, & sanding. I did 3 one day, & then came back the next to do the last one, which was harder, as had to get up higher, as it was on a corner, & had lattice next to it. I got all that done.

Kept my outside paint sitting in the kitchen, as want to at least paint a bit more on the wooden 2 x 4's holding the lattice, but it's been too cold & windy. My cats are getting fed up with jumping over the can of paint & little paint tray & brushes! I think my porch looks pretty good, though. You can see I've made some progress. Wanted to cut just a bit more grass, but it's been crummy with rains, etc. Soooo....who knows IF I can do so. Joan

Comment

Hi Joan:

Well, I'm about to have fun catching up with the damage Hurricane Irene dealt me with the flooding in my basement. My electric furnace arrived on Monday - switching from oil. Thank goodness the weather is still mild as I'm surviving on a couple of heaters. Though, when I stick my nose out of the blankets some mornings, I quickly cover up before it falls off. And, my clothes dryer stopped providing heat. Changed the thermostat - no success. So, better check more wiring. May well be too rusted to redeem. Wondering how long the washer will last now. There is one plus about draining the upstairs hot water baseboard system - Dizzie Lizzie overlooked putting in a relief valve when I did the work couple of years back. Ha weil, the joys of home ownership!

Comment

HI, Lizzie...I'm on your side!!! I live in an ancient house....no heat upstairs. However, I've been here 24 years as of Oct. 31 past, & that first year, I had wind blowing through my bedroom. I went out & purchased a kerosene heater (paraffin in Britain). I turn it on before I go to bed, & turn it off when I go up & get into bed. I'm not dead yet!! Thank goodness. Have also replaced all, or most of the windows in the house, & put new siding, & insulation on. Plus practically rebuilding almost everything else. You need to try getting a kero heater to work, that has old kero in it, had to finally take it out for a walk in the barn lot & drain it! .

I had my clothes dryer go out about a year ago, & had to replace the heating coil, which cost something like $92. The way I think, is "how was it when you were a kid?" We had no air conditioning in those days, the local movie house was the only place with A/C. We just lay in our beds with screens in the windows & perspired. Soooo...I try to muddle along, with not much assist. I have a wall furnace, which burns propane, & it's been a blessing, but I had to have it put in, as the old Ziegler died. The downstairs is mainly four rooms, one of which is a spare bedroom, which I close off. So, although am not toasty warm all the time, I do okay. I always sit on my couch with legs up (old nursely practice!), covered with a fleece blanket. The cats do help, as they strew themselves on my lap & down my legs!!! I certainly understand your feeling. I have found that IF I try to do something, usually I pretty well can do it!! Have to get outside today in order to run the gas out of mower, & dump the oil. Tomorrow going on long trip to second son's for Tksgiving. Will see all my kids & most grandkids. HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Joan
            Last edited by FriedaKateM; 23 November 2011, 17:55.

Comment

Have a wonderful time with your family, Joan. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU!!

Comment

Finished the plumbing on the new electric furnace today. Electrician will wrap up tomorrow and I will have heat!! Not a moment too soon as we dip to 4F tonight. So, can I assume this old biddy gets a communal pat on the head for her latest undaunted attack on the upkeep of a home! Thank you all! Happy New Year to everyone!

Comment

Well Done Lizzie............Not Bad for an "Old Timer"

:redrose:

Comment

Gordon...the comment above where you mentioned "Not Bad for an OLD-TIMER" reminded me of something.

During my nursing career, lots of what I would consider "lay people", or NOT in the medical profession, would call Alzheimer's disease..........................OLD-TIMER'S DISEASE!!!! Now what do you all think of that!!!??? Quirky, right?? Good for you Lizzie, I'm proud of you, in regard to your skills in homeownership. Guess what one of my kids gave me for the HOLS? A subscription to: The FAMILY HANDYMAN!!!!! Haven't read it yet....& it's for two whole years!!! I find life rather silly & cheery, but also scary at times!!! Y'all take care....(I live in southern Indiana!) Joan

Comment

Joan,

"Old Timers" disease is used here also,[it's easier to spell]:crazy::confused:

I know I'm normal now :wink: I've learned how to undo the straps on 'My White Sports Coat"

Here I iz in fine form........... http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscart...s/mban973l.jpg

and one for the ladies http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscart.../mban2072l.jpg

Comment

Hello Gordon,
                        "I know I'm normal now" is just too funny!! Sorry!

Comment

Working...
                        X