Routledge
    Three Aikenhead and Hagthornhill Deeds, 1508-1545
    The Western Highlands in the Eighteenth Century
    Eighteenth Century Highland Landlords
    Jane Espie (The Phantom Piper)
    Fallbrook Farm Heritage Site

Electric Scotland News
    ----------------------
    Last week I mentioned that I'd contacted all the council areas in Scotland and was looking forward to hearing back from them. Well so far South Lanarkshire council is the only one that has come back with any meaningful information by supplying a list of their principle towns and providing some history of each for which many thanks. I have now put up this information which you can view at http://www.electricscotland.com/coun...anarkshire.htm

The town links at the top lead you to this new historical information.

-----

Due to some discussions in our Electric Scotland Community about the Jacobites I decided to embark on publishing a 3 volume book about them and I'll tell you m0re about this below. That said I did learn of the burning of Auchterarder in that period which I'd never heard about. So I did research and have found an extensive account of this and am working to bring you this information.

It's actually a gruesome account where women and children were turfed out their homes into what at the time was a severe snow storm and their homes burnt around the them.

-----

The site was down for around 9 hours sorry to say. I made a point about mentioning this in our Community and so if at any time you can't get to our site you can go to electricscotland.org and go to the Electric Scotland Group of forums and into the General Messages forum. There, if there is a problem, I'll have posted a new thread which should be at the top of the list telling you about the problem.

The speed at which this is resolved is really down to Steve and of course if he's just gone to bed then we're stuck until he gets up and thus receives my voice messages and emails.

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/rss/whatsnew.php

Electric Scotland Community
    ---------------------------
    I'm delighted that the University of Glasgow, Dumfries Campus, has got in touch and asked for some forums. We have now created their group, The Solway Centre @University of Glasgow/Dumfries.

We also added a forum where we can talk about Smart Phones and their apps.

And we added a sub forum for Jane Espie (The Phantom Piper) under our Music Forum.

Our community can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.org but of course if you are reading this you're already in it :-)

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
    --------------------
    This weeks issue is now available compiled by Jennifer Dunn and as always she produces a chatty column with some interesting insights.

You can get to the Flag at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland
    ----------------------------------------
    And of the Border Raids, Forays and Conflicts by John Parker Lawson (1839). This is a new publication we're starting on which is in 3 volumes. We intend to post up 2 or 3 stories each week until complete.

This week we've added...

Highland Feuds

You can read this account at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/wars/

Glencreggan: or A Highland Home in Cantire
    ------------------------------------------
    By Cuthbert Bede (1861)

This week we're on the Appendix with...

The MacDonalds

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/glencreggan/

Kay's Edinburgh Portraits
    -------------------------
    A Series of Anecdotal Biographies chiefly of Scotchmen, Mostly by James Paterson and Edited by James Maidment (1885)

This week we have added...

Robert Craig, Esq., of Riccarton
    Rev. John M'Donald, of the Gaelic Chapel
    Lord Cullen, of the Court of Session
    The Edinburgh Fish Women
    James Mackcoull, Tried for Robbing the Paisley Union Bank
    James M'Kean, Tried for Murder

An interesting account of The Edinburgh Fish Women which starts...

The artist has not favoured us with the name of the "Oyster Lass" whom the figure in Kay's print represents. The omission is probably a matter of no great moment, as the characteristics of individuals of her class are usually pretty much the same.
    Wordsworth's description of the "Calais Fish-women"—

"Withered, grotesque—immeasurably old,
    And shrill and fierce in accent"—

will not apply to the goodly fish-dames of Modern Athens. Stout, clean, and blooming, if they are not the most handsome or comely of Eve's daughters, they are at least the most perfect pictures of robust and vigorous health; and not a few of them, under the pea-jacket and superabundance of petticoat with which they load themselves, conceal a symmetry of form that might excite the envy of a Duchess; neither are they "shrill and fierce in accent." Their "cry," echoing through the spacious streets of the New Town, though not easily understood, especially by our southern visitors, has a fulness of sound by no means unpleasant to the ear.

In some of the late numbers of Chambers's Edinburgh Journal, the character and habits of the fish-women form the substance of one or two interesting articles. We quote the writer's description of the dress:—
    "A cap of cotton or linen, surmounted by a stout napkin tied below the chin, compose the investiture of the head; the more showy structures, wherewith other females are adorned, being inadmissible, from the broad belt which supports the "creel," that is, fish-basket, crossing the forehead. A sort of woollen pea-jacket, of vast amplitude of skirt, conceals the upper part of the person, relieved at the throat by a liberal display of handkerchief. The under part of the figure is invested with a voluminous quantity of petticoat, of substantial material and gaudy colour, generally yellow with stripes, so made as to admit of a very free inspection of the ancle, and worn in such immense numbers, that the bare mention of them would be enough to make a fine lady faint. One-half of these ample garments is gathered up over the haunches, puffing out the figure in an unusual and uncouth manner. White worsted stockings and stout shoes complete the picture. Imagine these investments imbued upon a masculine but handsome form, notwithstanding the slight stoop forward, which is almost uniformly contracted—fancy the firm and elastic step, the toes slightly inclined inwards—and the ruddy complexion resulting from hard exercise, perhaps sometimes from dram-drinking—and you have the beau-ideal of fish-wives."

You can read the rest of this entry at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/kays/vol261.htm

The other entries can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/kays/index.htm

Poems of George Alexander Rodger
    --------------------------------
    Added another poem, The Hairst, which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/rodger10.htm

The other poems can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/rodger.htm

William and Louisa Anderson
    ---------------------------
    A record of their Life and Work in Jamaica and Old Calabar by William Markwick (1897)

This week we've added the following chapters...

Part III
    Old Calabar Period, 1849-1889, and Closing Years, 1889-1895

Chapter 2
    First Impressions and Beginning of Work
    Chapter 3
    Early Labours—Election of King Archibong I.—1849
    Chapter 4
    The First Victory—"Society for the Suppression of Human Sacrifices in Old Calabar" formed, and Law Abolishing Sacrifice passed, 15th Feb. 1850.
    Chapter 5
    Signs of Progress
    Chapter 6
    Return to Calabar—Death of King Archibong l.—1852
    Chapter 7
    Mr. Anderson's First Severe Illness
    Chapter 8
    Renewed Labours—Difficulties and Discouragements

In chapter 2 we learn...

In the letter which gives an account of the voyage and the arrival at Old Calabar, Mr. Anderson records his first impressions. He and Mrs. Anderson arrived at Duke Town in time to accompany Messrs. Goldie and Edgerley to Creek Town to be present at King Eyo II.'s weekly dinner on a specially interesting occasion, and they spent their first night in Calabar at the latter place:—

King Eyo had, for the first time, postponed his Sunday in deference to the Lord's Day, and Messrs. Goldie and Edgerley felt anxious to countenance him by being present on such an occasion. In the circumstances, Mrs. A. and myself, though somewhat fatigued by our journey in the boat from the ship, resolved to go to the royal table with them.

In going up the river we passed Old Town (Mr. E.'s station), which looks exceedingly well from the river. On coming to Creek Town beach, the first thing that met the eye and the ear was a stake stuck in the sand at the water's edge, and on the stake a poor little puppy, a few days old, lashed with its head downwards, struggling and whining most pitifully. In walking up the town we saw indications of mourning. One of the king's aunts died last week, and over the door of her house stands a beautiful umbrella, and before the door a table well furnished with costly and beautiful dishes, all more or less injured, according to Calabar fashion. In token of mourning for this old lady, the king's attendants and slaves have their brows blackened with a mixture of charcoal and oil. We proceeded to the palace, and, having passed through two squares of houses, reached the principal door. In approaching it, I noticed a good-looking fat man—naked, as usual, with the exception of a piece of blue striped cloth round the loins, and a reddish handkerchief thrown over the right shoulder. Mr. Goldie immediately addressed him as king. This was Eyo. He seemed quite pleased to see Mrs. Anderson and myself. I presented a letter of introduction from the Chairman and Secretary of the Mission Board. He looked over it, then showed it to one of the captains, but said nothing. Saw young Eyo, and handed him a letter from Mr. Waddell. He said, "I wait for you too long; we look for you a long year." About four o'clock we sat down to dinner, Mrs. A. being on the king's right hand. We had the curious mixture of yam, fish, flesh, palm oil, pepper, etc. etc., called, I believe, emphatically, Calabar chop; the pepper pot, the fufu, and its accompanying hot soup. All was so hot with pepper that I could swallow nothing. The only drink used was min Efik, which, to a palate burning with pepper, is very grateful.

After dinner, we left the palace, the king saying to Mrs. A., as well as to the rest of us, "Good-night, sir."

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...derson3-02.htm

You can read all the chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...rson/index.htm

The History of Fettercairn
    --------------------------
    A Parish in the County of Kincardine by Archd. Cowie Cameron (1899)

Added more chapters this week so now we have up...

Part First—Introduction

Chapter I.—Geography and Physical Features
    Situation—Extent—Boundaries—Surface Levels—Geological Features—Colonel Imrie's Survey—Rocks—Iron ore.

Chapter II.—Topography—Antiquity of Village—Etymology of name
    Land divisions and soils—Morass—Swamps—Ague—Watergirt fortalices — Greencairn — "Fethyrkerne Towne" — Origin — Site — (Three Baronets)—Antiquity—Etymology of Fettercairn—Mr Foote's theory-Twenty forms of the name—Inference.

Chapter III.—Population
    Population, past and present—Increase and decrease—Newdosk Section —Census table (1891)—Males increasing—Employment—Agriculture-Distillery—Other industries—Inns and hotels.

Part Second.—Historical Events

Chapter IV.—History prior to 994 a.d.
    Early unrecorded events — Conflicts — Roman Invasion — Caledonian Tribes—The Maormors—Kings slain—Battles—Picts' houses—Kenneth III. - Assassination - Fenella — Legend — Wyntoun's Chronicle—Fettercairn odious.

Chapter V.—History from 994 to 1600
    Wars and battles -Kincardine Castle and Edward I.—Wallace's victories, &c—Blind Harry's Chronicle—Bruce and Comyn—English and Scotch at Ballyvernie—Fettercairn Antiquarians—Neudos and Knights of St. John—David II. and his Queen at Kincardine-----A royal marriage—Robert II.—"Earl Beardie" and his forces—James.IV. and Queen Margaret at Kincardine and Aberdeen — Fettercairn a free burgh with markets—James V. and Kincardine town—Visits of Queen Mary and James VI.

Chapter VI.—History from 1600 to 1698
    Troubles of the Covenant—Spalding's Memorials—Montrose's raids— At Fettercairn—"Fire and sword"—Counter marchings—General Baillie —Death of Montrose—Note, "Colkitto of Antrim "—Earl of Errol and train a night at Fettercairn—Their expenses—Cromwell's troops at Edzell —Foraging expeditions—Balbegno—Covenanters and North Water Bridge —The Laird of Balfour and Church seats -A minister "blooded."

Chapter VII.—History from 1698 to 1747
    The old village hostelry—Reputed royal lodging—"Randall's Knap"— Story of "Kirky Croll or Pin the Wuddie"—The stolen watch—Duke of Cumberland's troops—Rebels after Culloden—Petition and complaint-Rebel fight at Fettercairn—Minister hurt Schoolhouse burnt—Kirk Session Registers destroyed.

Chapter VIII.—History from 1747 to 1861
    Queen Victoria's Reign—Coronation rejoicings and Church building-Introduction of gaslight—A joint-stock company—Curling Club -Subscription Library—Rejoicings at marriage of Miss Forbes—Volunteer movement.

Chapter IX.—History from 1861 to 1898
    Visit of Her Majesty Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort - Extract from Her Majesty's Journal—Ramsay Arms Hotel—A few incidents— Rejoicings at the Prince of Wales' marriage—Telegraphic communication —Fire at Fasque House— Majority of Captain, now Sir John R. Gladstone— Of the Hon. Charles F. Trefusis—The Queen's Jubilee—Grand Bazaar for a Public Hall-Distillery burnt—Golf Club—The Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

Part Third—The Parish and it's Landowners

Chapter X.—Landowners prior to the Seventeenth Century
    Scotland divided into Parishes—Four thanedoms—Fettercairn the leading one —William the Lion's Hawker—Luthra—Balbegno—"Waytinga"—Rents in kind—Valued rentals—Countess of Ross—"Wolf of Badenoch"—His doings—Donald, Lord of the Isles—Crown lands— Strachan of Thornton and rents—Earl of Rothes— Kirklands and Thomas Ogston—Adam Hepburn and Elizabeth Ogston—Successors—Kirk Commissioners—Kirklands sold—Levingstone of Drumhendry—Bishop's Rents—Farms of Fettercairn—John Tulloch—Robert Rate—Toothpicks —Crofts of Kincardine—Lands—Earl of Rothes—James Strachan—Earl of Middleton and Lands of Fettercairn.

Chapter XI.—John Earl Middleton and his successors
    Name of Middleton Descent— Middle ton of .Caldhame—His sons— John Earl of Middleton—His career—His wife Qrizel Durham—Family— His death at Tangier—Charles, second Earl—Forfeiture—Family—Two Sons—Admiral Byng— Earl of Strath more—Principals of King's College-Janet Gordon of Beaton—Brigadier Middleton—His son and Lady Diana Grey—Fettercaira estate sold to Mrs Emilia Belsches—Note, Middleton descendants.

Chapter XII.—Families of Belsches, Stuart and Forbes
    John Clerk, a Refugee in Fettercaira 300 years ago—Ancestor of the Clerks, Baronets of Penicuik—Of Emilia Belsches—Clerk's descendants, Merchants in Montrose and Paris—Margaret Clerk and Belsches of Invermay—John Belsches and Mary Stuart—Sir John Wishart Belsches —Name of Stuart—Lady Jane Leslie—Miss Stuart—James Mill, Historian of India—Sir Walter Scott—Miss Stuart, prototype of Matilda in Rokeby —Sir William Forbes-Dr. Beattie, "the Minstrel"—Sir William's character—James Skene and Sir Walter Scott's "Marmion"—Dr. W. F. Skene—Sir William, seventh Baronet—His sons—Sir John Hepburn Stuart Forbes—Lord Clinton—Family—Hon. Charles F. Trefusis-Lady Jane Grey Trefusis—Family.

You can read all these chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...airn/index.htm

Memoirs of the Jacobites
    ------------------------
    Of 1715 and 1745 by Mrs Thomson (1845) in 3 volumes. We intend to add a chapter a week until complete.

As I mentioned above we have had some discussion about the Jacobites in our Electric Scotland Community and while we do have information about them on the site I have never done any major work about them. This then is to fix that issue and this 3 volume account will tell you all you want to know about the Jacobites and the principle players.

The various chapters are very long and so have decided to put up one chapter per week until complete.

You can read the Introduction at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/jacobites

Routledge
    ---------
    We now have some information on the Routledge family of the Borders of Scotland which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/webc...routledge.html

Three Aikenhead and Hagthornhill Deeds, 1508-1545.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Found these old Deeds in a copy of the Scottish Historical Review and thought they would be of interest. Given the old Scots language used I have scanned in the pages as images. This you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...w/cathcart.htm

The Western Highlands in the Eighteenth Century
    -----------------------------------------------
    An article from the Scottish Historical Review.

IN the muniment room at Dunvegan, the seat of MacLeod of MacLeod in Skye, are preserved a great number of documents which throw much light on the conditions prevailing in the Highlands during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

'One of the first objects of an enquirer who wishes to form a correct idea of the state of a community at a given time, must be to ascertain of how many persons that community then consisted,' says Macaulay.

In the Highlands this is not easy, for no census, was there taken till 1851. In the following estimate I have confined my attention to Skye, Harris and Glenelg, where the MacLeod estates were situated, but, probably, the. same causes which increased or decreased population were equally at work all over the Highlands.

In early times, as far as I know, there is no evidence of what the population was. The force which a clan could put into the field at any given time gives no clue to the population living on its Chiefs estate, for that was more a question of arms than of men. It is not till 1772 that we find any definite statements. There was a report of that date on Harris, preserved at Dunvegan, which gives its population at 1,993, and in the same year Pendant fixes the population of Glenelg at 700, and that of Skye at from 12,000 to 13.000, but he says that about 1750 it may have been 15,000. This drop is probably accounted for by some emigration which took place about 1769, the first reference I find to emigration in any of the papers.

You can read the rest of this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist..._highlands.htm

Eighteenth Century Highland Landlords
    -------------------------------------
    And the Poverty Problem. An article from the Scottish Historical Review.

DURING the latter part of the eighteenth century the inhabitants of many parts of the Highlands and Hebrides were living permanently in a state that bordered upon destitution. They were badly housed, they were poorly fed, and they had a continual struggle to pay their rents.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...es/poverty.htm

Jane Espie
    ----------
    We have added a page for Jane Espie, The Phantom Piper and also added a sub forum for her under our Music forum in our community. We're always happy to profile young people of talent on our site and hope you'll enjoy her music.

You can see her page at http://www.electricscotland.com/musi...jane_espie.htm

Fallbrook Farm Heritage Site
    ----------------------------
    We got in Update 57 which is mostly an account of the Life and Times of James P. Kirkwood which is a very interesting account. You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...allbrook57.htm

And finally...

An Irish Marriage

A poor couple went to the priest for marriage, and were met with a demand for the marriage fee.

It was not forthcoming.

Both the consenting parties were rich in love and in their prospects, but destitute of financial resources.

The Father was obdurate. "No money, no marriage."

"Give me lave, your riverence," said the blushing bride, "to go and get money."

It was given, and she sped forth on the delicate mission of raising a marriage fee out of pure nothing.

After a short interval she returned with the sum of money, and the ceremony was completed to the satisfaction of all.

When the parting was taking place the newly-made wife seemed a little uneasy.

"Anything on your mind, Catherine?" said the Father.

"Well, your riverence, I would like to know if this marriage could not be spoiled now?"

"Certainly not, Catherine. No man can put you asunder."

"Could you not do it yerself, Father? Could you not spoil the marriage?"

"No, no, Catherine. You are past me now. I have nothing more to do with your marriage."

"That aises me mind," said Catherine, "and God bless your riverence. There's the ticket for your hat.
    I picked it up in the lobby and pawned it."

And that's it for now and hope you all have a good weekend.

Alastair
    http://www.electricscotland.com

Re: Newsletter 20th May 2011

I really enjoyed the story on "The Edinburgh Fish Women"

also........................

Jennifer Dunn's comments in "The Flag in the Wind"
    Last edited by 1938 Observer; 20 May 2011, 02:56. Reason: added additional comment

Comment

Re: Newsletter 20th May 2011

Glad you enjoyed them... there is always some good reading as long as you have the time <grin>

Alastair

Comment

Working...
      X