Elizabeth Rodger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth Rodger

Elizabeth Rodger was born in Scotland and raised in a small village in the Central Lowlands equidistant from Glasgow and Edinburgh.

On graduating from Glasgow School of Art, she was hired by Coats & Clarke to design books on embroidery. With the wanderlust bug taking hold, she migrated to New York where she was hired as a designer by Golden Books.

With the birth of her first son, she assumed a free-lance status. For many years she was the ghost for the famous Richard Scarry, writing and illustrating many of his books. Eventually, she fulfilled her dream as author/illustrator of children’s titles published by several major companies. With a bee taking up residence in her bonnet, she jumped into the adult arena with her first novel, BUT FOR FREEDOM, followed by a sequel based on eighteenth century history.

During her student years, hiking the mountains of northern Scotland as a member of the Glasgow University Mountaineering Club, she sensed a deathly quiet, the eeriness in the emptiness of the glens. On being informed of the atrocities committed after the Battle of Culloden, she felt compelled to tell about the ethnic cleansing of the region. In her first novel, BUT FOR FREEDOM, Across the Sea Beyond Skye, and the sequel, A Rebellious Echo of the White Cockade, her familiarity of the Scottish landscape and her ethnic heritage brought authenticity to the portrayal of the Highland family and the tribulations of their forced emigration to the ‘new world’.

Her book is available through our Amazon stores in both the UK and USA which you can reach at http://www.electricscotland.com/shopmall.htm

Re: Elizabeth Rodger

Alastair, as my own kids loved the Richard Scarry books, I imagine this lady must be incredibly talented. I certainly was impressed by the stories & the illustrations, and the kids learned so much!! Thanks for the info! Joan

Comment

Have you ever looked at our own Children's stories section Joan? There are a lot there and especially from Margo Fallis who also did watercolour paintings to include with a lot of the stories.

There is a new link to Children's Stories in our new menu on Electric Scotland.

http://www.electricscotland.com/kids...ns_stories.htm

Alastair

Comment

Alistair, my own children aren't kids anymore. They are two boys, 47 & 46, & a daughter 43. Their kids also read Richard Scarry books. I bought some for the grandchildren as well. Thanks, but I'm older than what you thought, evidently.
        Joan :blush:

Comment

Well I confess to having read a few of them myself... guess I never really grew up <grin>

Alastair

Comment

Working...
          X