the US Confederate flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the US Confederate flag

The Second Confederate Flag, also called the "Stainless" banner had the Southern Cross as a canton (blue St-Andrew's cross saltire) on a red field. The cross was said to be due to the Scottish ancestry of many Southerners and the popularity of "Ivanhoe" and other novels by Sir Walter Scott. It served for most of the war as the National Flag of the Confederacy. Due to the large expanse of white, it was difficult to see at sea and could be confused for a flag of truce.

Re: the US Confederate flag

Here is a picture of the Stainless, well done Suge, you really are surprising me ;)
    Attached Files
    kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Re: the US Confederate flag

This flag had to be a square with even stars in the field. The pattern was changed three times, original started with the 7 stars for the 7 states that seceded. The second make was for the original colonies and the third remake was the 13 stars. This flag has seen international service, and carried by the military in the war of 1812, first and second world wars..

When I was living in Ellsworth, each year there was Cowtown Days, one young man was a guest singer and he was at the podium and all of a sudden belted out Elvis Presley Trilogy of songs, one being Dixie. I nearly fainted as he was in the very heart of Yankees...the next year, he returned to do the same show...I always had small flags on hand for special occasions, I took one with me to the program and I told the person in charge that I wanted to give the singer a gift...so when he was getting ready to do the Trilogy, I was called to the stage..I walked up and shook hands with him and thanked him for singing the beloved Dixie...I then presented him with the Confederate Flag. A few tears were shed by both of us, his mother and his wife just came up on the stage too...it was chaotic to say the least...as I was leaving the auditorium. I was stopped by a few WW II veterans, they thanked me for doing this,,,they could remember being in a fox hole and seeing a flag flying...the soldiers had carried the little flags of the South all thru the war...

Comment

Working...
      X