Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Criticism on my King Arthur work, after all these years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criticism on my King Arthur work, after all these years!

Hello everyone!

I want to share a wonderful message! Why do I say wonderful, because it means someone actual read, critiqued and has a different opinion from my own.

Dear sir,

I writing to bring to task Mr Whittaker and the article 'A new theory about King Arthur'. I believe he is mainly quoting someone else, but I'm not sure who. Unless this is Mr. R L Graeme Ritchie.

It's not a theory at all, but states theory as fact, which they simply aren't. Here are some examples:

1." The son of Uther (the bad) Pendragon, a Roman Commander stationed at Hadrian’s Wall" - Firstly, Uther means 'terrible' or 'marvellous' and there's no evidence that he was a Roman commander or, indeed, that he was Arthur's father.
    2. "Geoffrey of Monmouth was a good resource to the written records of Arthur." - No he wasn't. It's generally thought he made a great deal up or changed things to suit his own purposes.
    3. "The Brigantes were the victorious tribes that won the Northern or Pictish shores of the Solway. The same area that King Arthur was born in". - No one knows where Arthur was born. Though this article is really referring to Artúr (Arturius) mac Áedán - a POSSIBLE candidate for the original - he was from Kintyre. There no mention to begin with that this theory is about Artúr mac Áedán being King Arthur.
    4. "Arthur was born in 559 AD. When Columba ordained King Aedan of Dalriada in 574, records show Arthur being Aedan’s eldest son." - It's still possible that Artúr mac Áedán wasn't Aeden's son at all but Artúr mac Conaing. (See my blog for further details:
    https://badonicus.wordpress.com/2011...thur-part-two/ )
    5. "Arthur’s mother was Ygerna del Acqs, the High Queen of the Celtic kingdoms. Ygerna was married to Gwyr-Llew, Dux of Carlisle. The Duke of Carlisle had been sent south to become Gorlois, Duke of Cornwall. During this time is when Aedan of Dalriada became totally enthralled with the beauty of Ygerna or better known as Igrain. Later on in years, after Cornwall had died, Igraine married Aedan making Arthur a legitimate heir to the thrown." - This is pure legend and nothing to do with Artúr mac Áedán. There is no evidence ANYWHERE, not even in legend, that "Aedan of Dalriada became totally enthralled with the beauty of Ygerna".
    6."Briton was being invaded by the Anglo-Saxons during the rein of King Aedan. He was not successful in defeating the Angles. All sides including the original Scots who are now the Irish and Scandinavians were threatening Dalriada." - Where the information "the original Scots who are now the Irish and Scandinavians" comes from baffles me. The Scotti were either Irish or Goidelic speaking Britons from the Western Isles.
    7. "Pendragon and Merlin are both titles, Pendragon meaning Head Dragon of the Island, King of Kings and Guardian of the Celtic Island. Merlin meant Seer to the King. Merlin’s real name was Emrys of Powys, the son of Aurelius. The Merlin was also an elder cousin to King Aedan." - Pendragon may mean 'head dragon' or 'chief warrior' but not "King of Kings and Guardian of the Celtic Island". That's pure romantic twaddle. Merlin's real name was not Emrys of Powys. Emrys was Ambrosius Aurelianus (or possible another Ambrosius).
    8. "Merlin was a Celt Priest and Vivien del Acqs, the grandmother of Arthur was the Queen of Avalon and High Priestess of the Ancient Celtic Religion. Arthur was supposed to unite the two religions but his conscience to be loyal to ONE religion swayed him to make Christianity the dominating religion of Britain." - All this is from later legend and noting to do with history.
    9. "Aedan was the son of King Gabran and Lluan of Brecknock. Lluan was a direct descendent of Joseph of Arimathea, therefore entitling King Aedan mac Gabran of Scots to receive the title of Pendragon and the first to be ordained by Columba, a Catholic priest." - Where is it said ANYWHERE that Columba gave Aeden the title of Pendragon? As for the rest of that information ...

I won't go on as I might explode!

The problem is, there will be people who will read this, believe it, and pass it on as fact. It's not only not fact, it's a distortion of the legend.

Regards,

Mak Wilson

blog: badonicus.wordpress.com
    I don't have an email to write this gentleman back but I did visit his site.

My answer to all the above is, I base my work on the late Dr Norma Lorre Goodrich's new translation of the old manuscripts. Because of Dr Goodrich's work, archaeologists have actually found evidence in a few of the areas mentioned in her work.

This is what Mark Wilson says about himself.

About badonicus
    My real name is Mak Wilson … well, actually, that’s my stage name and my real name is Malcolm Wilson. My work is in film and television as a puppeteer/actor/director/voice artist/writer but I also have a passion for the Early Medieval period (‘Dark Ages’) of Britain. Originally from Stanley in Co, Durham, I now live in Oswestry, Shropshire, on the English-Welsh border with my wife Fiona. We have four ‘boys’: Ben, Toby, Josh and Tom, as well as a wonderful black lab called Jet.
    I believe that explains it all.

Sincerely,
    kellyd:redrose:

Re: Criticism on my King Arthur work, after all these years!

I suppose everone in the whole wide world is so bored, they have nothing to do !!!

Comment

Working...
    X