I am back from my holiday in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am back from my holiday in UK

Well that went very fast. I don't think my feet really touched the ground all the time I was in UK. My friend Albert was amazing taking me around to visit places and people while I was in Scotland. We went to Kilmarnock, East Kilbride, Abeberdeen, Bridge of Weir - Quarriers Homes as well as where he lived in Falkirk. He was a great host and I would like to thank him. Albert is also a new member of ES,

I then travelled down by train to Reading before heading to Weston-Super-Mare to my sister in law. She took me to quite a few places like Wells, Dunster, Clevedon, Bath and other places that at this moment I forget. We scattered my husbands ashes in a place on Exmoor that he used to cycle round.

I had a canal boat trip with my friends at Bath which was very exciting as I had never been on a canal boat before.

My last 3 days were in Gosport then Southampton where I met my half brother and some of his family for the first time. Those 3 days were the sunniest I encountered during my whole trip, now I know one of the reasons for leaving Scotland, it was so cold Brrrrrrrrrr.

I loved the greeness of UK, everywhere I went there were beautiful trees and green paddocks. On the way to Aberdeen, Albert and I stopped at the Baxters shop and I bought some Scottish jewellery for my daughters and daughters in law as well as for myself, Albert bought me a lovely pair of earings. Also some whisky T-bags for my youngest son

Only mishap was in Weston-Super-Mare where in my exuberance to take a photo of the grey sea, I missed the step and fell on my knees which hampered me a bit in walking around.

I did not understand the Falkirk accents and Albert had to translate.

My sister in Aberdeen showed me the Union Terrace Gardens which the council want to build on. This would be a great shame as it is the only park right in the centre of the city. It is well used and could be improved upon to encourage more people to go there. I saw some young families enjoying the sunshine (even though it was cold) and also 2 girls obviously practicing their busking routine with hula hops as well as other people.

This is from Wikkipedia
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Gardens

A public park and gardens, and important landmark situated at the heart of Aberdeen, Scotland.

The sunken gardens, of national historic importance, opened to the public in 1879, and cover approximately two and a half acres. The space is bounded to the north by Rosemount Viaduct, to the south by Union Street, Aberdeen's main thoroughfare, to the east by the railway and the Den Burn, now flowing underground, and to the west by Union Terrace

Contrary to popular belief the area is not a natural amphitheatre but a small river valley with a late-Victorian viaduct constructed at the North end in 1889. The amphitheatre was formed from the covered remains of Denburn Terrace after demolition.

The park gives an unprecedented and inspiring view of some of the best Architecture of Aberdeen, prominent among which are His Majesty's Theatre, St Mark's Church and the Library on Rosemount Viaduct to the north, and the Triple Kirks to the east.

The park has been a much loved vital resource for the people of Aberdeen and visitors since its creation. It is used for concerts and leisure activities, as well as providing somewhere peaceful to relax and reflect. On the park's north side is a formally planted and maintained floral crest of the city's coat of arms.

At the Union Street end of the gardens stands a group of ecologically important protected mature Elm trees, nearly 200 years old. The trees stand on the remnants of the site once known as Corbie Haugh: Corbie in Scots meaning crow; and Haugh meaning a low-lying meadow in a river valley. Corbie Haugh is still an apposite epithet for this area as crows still nest in the elms. The trees were originally planted to stabilise the embankment to prevent the newly widened Union Terrace slipping into the gardens.

Good to be back in Adelaide..

Mary

Re: I am back from my holiday in UK

Glad you enjoyed your holiday Mary. Hope you got lots of pictures to remind you of it.

Alastair

Comment

Hello Mary, Glad to hear that you are home safely. It will take some time to adjust, after your many travel.
      No doubt sometime in the future, we will hear about your journeys.

Regards

Ranald

Comment

Mary...It struck me, with you telling of your travels in the UK & Scotland, that I'd been to Wells to see the cathedral there. I remember hearing there about the local "cider", which I assumed was alcoholic! (I was only 17 when there!) Also I have cousins in Aberdeen. Plus have a cousin in Southampton. Have traveled a bit all over, through Scotland, & some in England. I wish I could have tagged along with you! Glad to hear that you're back, & that you appear to have had a great time. Joan

Comment

Mary,
          Pleased to hear that you enjoyed your trip,good to see you back safely.
          Gordon.

Comment

Mary, good to see your back here.
            Hope you had a great time in Scotland and took a few pictures for us to see..:D
            Marie

Comment

Working...
            X