Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defence Social Media Hub. U.K. "Loose Lips Sink Ships" !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence Social Media Hub. U.K. "Loose Lips Sink Ships" !!

MoD releases YouTube videos warning of careless talk on social media sites

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 14 June 2011 19.17 BST

Ministry of Defence urges servicemen and women, and their families, to be careful about sharing sensitive material online

During the second world war, the propaganda motto from the British government was simple enough: careless talk costs lives. Things have become a little more complicated since then, but for the Ministry of Defence, the maxim still rings true.

It has implored its servicemen and women, and their families, to be careful about gossiping online, using videos on YouTube to highlight the dangers of sharing sensitive material on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

In one personal security film, a mother is seen receiving a Facebook message from her son, who is serving abroad in Afghanistan at a forward operating base (FOB).

"Hi Mum, hope you're well," writes Mark. "Just posted some new pics, the tan is coming along nicely as you can see. Big day tomorrow at FOB Jackson, major V VIP stuff happening so we're all on our best behaviour, see you soon"

Full article at link http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ju...ss+%28Media%29

Defence Social Media Hub

This site brings together the various social media presences operated or sponsored by the Royal Navy, British Army, Royal Air Force or the UK Ministry of Defence.

Please take a look at the featured sites. To learn more, see the official Social Media Guidance for UK Armed Forces and MOD personnel. We are keen for your feedback: Please Contact Us

Guidance Links

Introduction

General guidance for UK Armed Forces and MOD personnel when online (applies to all personnel)

Guidance on maintaining security when online (applies to all personnel)

The Defence Online Engagement Guidelines (full document, includes guidance for Commanders and Media/Comms staff)

Volunteer to operate a "sponsored" online presence

Contact the MOD Social Media Team

Frequently Asked Questions

MOD Comment Policy.

Full site at link http://www.blogs.mod.uk/homepage.html

Personal Security Online - Video 1 Full Two Navy personnel have a night out, but is it just their mates who know where they've checked in?

Personal Security Online - Video 2 Full
    The mother of an airman in the RAF is using Facebook, but is it may not just be friends and family reading her status updates

For more information go to: http://www.blogs.mod.uk/onlinesecurity

Re: Defence Social Media Hub. U.K. "Loose Lips Sink Ships" !!

Operational Security has been a nightmare to maintain for as long as there were people. You can find hints of it in the Illiad. I suspect there are parallels in the wars documented in the old testament. Young people are social by nature and young soldiers can disclose details of operations and movements while talking around the subject. Activity around a motor park or rotor wing revetments lets the neighbors know something is amiss. Someone with a scanner can (even if frequencies are encrypted) surmise that something is afoot by monitoring changes in transmission patterns.

I am not surprised that social media sites might be the road houses of the 21st century.

Comment

The saying that I remember....

'Be Like Dad - Keep Mum'

Perhaps not so relevent in today's world ;-(

Ranald

Comment

Originally posted by Ranald View Post
        The saying that I remember....

'Be Like Dad - Keep Mum'

Perhaps not so relevent in today's world ;-(

Ranald

In more ways than one!

Comment

This is really NOT off the main subject. My dad was the Provost Marshal at RAF Stn. Bentwaters, in East Suffolk. This was during the "cold war". I attended the U. of Maryland, Munich Branch in Germany. While there, I had the opportunity to go with tours all over, so we went on the Romantic Road tour, Nuremberg, etc. I refused to go to the concentration camps. Then over Thanksgiving weekend, I went to Vienna & Salzburg with a tour, & had a great time, really liked Vienna.

However, there was offered a trip to Russia, & because my dad was in a "sensitive" position, I was NOT allowed to go, as someone could have kidnapped me, in order to get my dad into a tight place!!! :shocked:

I can remember going to a wine fest, in one of those "burgs", with free white wine in tents, & walking back to the hotel with a male student, right down the middle of the street.

Also remember my father talking about "Loose lips sink ships!" as one of my first memories. The US Air Force had a big influence on my young life. Bye, Joan

Comment

Working...
          X