Some Pics from Morar area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Pics from Morar area

Here are a couple of pics that I took last weekend in Morar (The west coast of Scotland, on the "Road
    to the Isles").
    The island is Eigg with Rhum (Rum) in the background.
    The mountain is Ben Nevis - the highest mountain in the UK. This is about the clearest view I have ever had of it.

Sandy
    Attached Files

Re: Some Pics from Morar area

Sandy, I've done a lot of reading about the Hebrides, & the Outer Hebrides islands. For some reason, I'm drawn to the west coast & the islands. I did read several books by Gavin Maxwell, and one by Adam Nicolson, called Sea Room. Also a good one called Island Going by Robert Atkinson. Plus others which are much "older" in regard to all of the Outer Hebrides, which I didn't like as much, although I still have them, I think!?! I have so many books, & do sell some off, so can't remember, unless I do a search. I believe I saw Ben Nevis, while traveling up there in Scotland, but I was only 19 then, & that's just a few years ago! Thanks for showing the pics! Joan

Comment

Great Pictures Sandy , Enjoy!
      Marie

Comment

Joan, any of the old books you no longer require, of any use for Alastair..... just a thought

Ranald

Comment

Ranald, I have thought of this, but at present time, I'm not sure IF Alastair would want them. I have to keep thinking "on it for a while." They are kind of "old fashioned" in their writing. I believe I got most from Scotland or England via mail. Might!?! Joan

Comment

Just so you know I can only use books that are out of copyright unless with the copyright holders permission. That means the books must have been published at least 75 years ago. That's the case in the US but in the UK it's 75 years from the authors death. Kind of a pity there isn't a set date for all countries.

It's also a pain even trying to find the copyright holder. I'd like to see some place that would record the copyright holder of all books. I think the responsibility should be on the copyright holder to register their copyright with some competent authority.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair.... Unless a book of any kind is tremendously "outstanding" to me, I tend to recirculate it fairly quickly. I have a lot of books, so many, I cannot count them, as it would take too long. The "old" books I mentioned above to Ranald, were not the best in delivering information about the Hebrides. So...as I looked for them last eve, couldn't find them. Must have done a clean-out. I have considered giving you some, but didn't feel they were worth it. Hey...just in looking around, I did find two I think do qualify in the age requirement. Was not David Livingstone a Scot? The book I have is DAVID LIVINGSTONE: His Labours and his Legacy., NO DATE, obviously very ancient, by Arthur Montefiore. It has a real leather binding. And I have one other: THE SCOTTISH TOURIST, And Itinerary; or, A Guide To The Scenery and Antiquities of Scotland and The Western Islands with a description of the Principal Steam-Boat Tours (1825) These are books that my parents did purchase in England/Scotland between 1958-61. If you are interested, or want to ask ??, let me know! Bye, Joan

Comment

Thanks for the offer Joan. I do already have information up on David Livingston and we do also have a couple of books about Scottish tourism. I'm never quite sure where I'm going to head next. I do have quite a few books that I have in reserve that still need to be assessed for quality and uniqueness of content.

As it happens when I finish with a book I usually donate it to a library.

I do continue to hunt for books on Scots somewhere in the world. I'm weak on Asia and the Middle East in particular.

I'd also like to get good books detailing the life of the more ordinary Scots and how they lived. I've yet to find one of those but I do find the odd article which I will put on the site.

I've just put up a series of books about countries in the world. That's mainly because I have at least some information on Scots in those countries and thought a reasonable history of them would be worthwhile adding.

I'm also still hunting for a decent book on plants and herbs in Scotland where we get to know their medicinal properties and also use in dyeing and even to flavour food. As it happens I have found one book but it's in copyright and I can't get permission to use it. There just has to be something out there somewhere.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                X