Deltics: The Final Roar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deltics: The Final Roar.

I noticed this book by Alastair McLean being the subject of a review in The Scots Magazine for March 2011.

"By late 1981, all the Deltics had gone, after two decades as Britain's fastest and most powerful locomotive. This unique class of 22 locomotives was powered by twin Napier Deltic engines, originally made for minesweepers." Deltics were a common sight from Kings Cross to Aberdeen.

Here is a small description from "The Deltic Preservation Society"

Does a Deltic sound different to any other diesel loco?
    A Deltic sounds very different to any other locomotive. At idle, the phasing gears inside the engine can be heard as can the scavenger blower and the exhaust. The noise varies depending on where and how far you are standing in relation to the locomotive. The engine note is like a low, rumble of thunder.

An 18 cylinder Napier Deltic rail traction engine idles at 700 rpm (faster than most other diesels at full bore) and can run up to 1500 rpm. As the engine rev’s increase the Deltic engine also changes character. The rattling and vibration in the phasing gear changes frequency, and the engine note becomes a higher-pitched, very smooth drone. For this reason the locomotives are sometimes nick-named ‘Drones’ or ‘Lancaster Bombers’.

After hearing a Deltic engine, be it in a Class 55 or a naval craft, it is very difficult to mistake them for anything else.

read more http://www.thedps.co.uk/staticpages/index.php?page=faq

Watch and listen to a "Deltic" at startup........turn up the sound :smile:

Napier Deltic class 55 55022 engine starts and departure Bury Bashers view.

Class 55 Deltic 55022 engine starts and departure from Bury, with the 14:00 service to Rawtenstall. 02/05/2010..... I must admit I was caught out and pleasantly surprised when both RSG's engines started ;-)

Napier overload!

On 20th September 2003, at Barrow Hill, Class 55 Deltic no. 55019 'Royal Highland Fusilier' erupts as she takes a small train + sister loco D9009 'Alycidon' out of the station. Sound level goes to overload!!!

Last edited by 1938 Observer; 21 June 2011, 03:52. Reason: rephrase first line

Re: Deltics: The Final Roar.

Gordon, you have started something ....... I have been a novice user of Flight and Train simulators for many years now.

Only last year I upgraded to Railworks 2, and last week purchased their latest add on 'The Deltic' !! I am still finding my way with the program, but they have the Edinburgh to Glasgow line, by way of Falkirk High, but NOT for the Deltic !.

I am going to try to u/l screen shots of Falkirk High, and one of the Deltic leaving Newcastle. Today is the first time I have tried the latter.... !

The program allows 'Free Roaming' so that keeps me happy

Ranald
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ranald; 21 June 2011, 07:26. Reason: spelling

Comment

Here is another shot, this time just south from Oxford UK

Ranald
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey, Ranald, I am "old" enough to remember those diesel train engines, & also the steam ones. Used to live 2 blocks down from the railroad tracks in Dayton, Ohio. We had one derailment onto the streets surrounding the tracks in my time living there, & I remember seeing it. (not as it was happening) When we were in GB, I still remember the trains I used to ride from Ipswich down to London, to Liverpool St. Station. Used to see lots of little boys, in their school uniforms, writing down the stats/numbers from the steam engines. Thanks for the memories...Joan

Comment

Hello Joan, just for you two screen shots of Ipswich, well the generat area around the station !

One is from Google Earth, and the other, a screen shot taken using Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Ah the memory.... lol

Ranald

Note - 01 is from Flight Sim and 02 is from Google
          Attached Files

Comment

Ranald,
            This is 'slightly' off topic, but as an old motoring guru you will remember this vehicle, also powered by a Napier Engine. the article makes interesting reading.

1934 Napier-Railton Special

One of the pride and joys of British motoring was and still is this curious looking 1934 Napier-Railton. The nation's love for this car enabled the BDRC to secure 800 000 GBP by donation to keep it as a permanent fixture in the Brooklands Museum. This is easily the most fitting home since the Napier-Railton holds the Outer Circuit lap record of 143.44mph at Brooklands which was the center of British motoring before the war. In a sense, this is the 'Ultimate Brooklands Racecar'

All the data is available at the link :cool:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3850.html

Running the Railton

Tuesday 26th April 2011 at Brooklands Museum. The record breaking Napier Railton was started for the second time since returning from an engine rebuild today so that a professional sound recording could be made of the engine noise. That explains the man with the boom microphone and the fluffy tail on the back of the car that you might spot in the video !

Comment

Working...
            X