Scale Model Railways.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale Model Railways.

This is something that has always interested me, I know that there are many people out there who are also like-minded, Ranald's mention of the computer simulations of various 'real life' rail networks prompted me to check out what was on offer on the "Net"

G scale garden model railroad

An LGB Mallet climbs 7.2% grades over trestles, over a waterfall, through a tunnel, and under bushes. Train sound and smoke.

Garden railway: 10 scale miles MASSIVE: Drivers Eye View of Bekonscot Model Railway

The Gauge 1 model railway at Bekonscot Model Village, Bucks.

It's a 10 scale mile model garden railway of 1/32 scale, in a 1/12 scale miniature village. The line was started circa 1929 and has been updated continuously for 80 years. We strapped a camera to the front of one of the engines and sent it off - we've added some subtitles so you can see what you're passing. Model railways rock.

The huge model railway has evolved since those early years, from Bassett-Lowke LNER and GWR outline stock through to modern image British Rail - when at one time, class 47, class 37, Hymek, western class 53, intercity 125 and even DMU stock ran. In the early 1990s, interest in the railway's heritage regained, and it was decided to revert to a classic 1930s appearance. Therefore you'll now see classic GWR railmotors, EMU, GWR 94xx tank locos, LMS Jinty, SR Q Class and many more freelance locos on the route.

The whole system is controlled by computer, interlocked with hundreds of relays for points and signal operation. Note that the signals are missing in this video, as they are currently all being refurbished. The complex trackwork around Maryloo station is controlled by a Westinghouse lever frame in the signal box (where this video begins and ends) when the signalman wants to intervene. This train was preset to run non-stop - but of course would need to stop if another train was in the block ahead of it. This video took four takes to get right - we had to be nimble with the manual signals to make sure no trains ahead of this one stopped progress, or made it wait on the single track sections! Usually there are 9 to 11 trains in operation at any one time; a selection of them are seen on this video. Perhaps we should get a Thomas The Tank Engine for the line...?

We're in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire - which is on the Chiltern Railways route from London Marylebone to High Wycombe, Banbury and Birmingham.

hope you enjoy it as much as we did making it!

You can become a fan of us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon...scot-Model-Vil...

Re: Scale Model Railways.

To set-up and equip a 'garden type' railway is quite expensive, so why not go down scale a little and have a look at this "HO" layout.

Huge HO Scale Model Railroad Railway Layout - WFRV TV

A Sheboygan man builds his amazing dream in the basement. A very detailed, scenic, HO scale model train set. Soo Line. Train stations from the Town of Dale, Neenah, and more...
    railroads, electric, cities, bridges, horns, 1/4, full scale, engineer, expensive, hobby, track, hobbies, signs rail detail

British Model Trains On Model Railway Layout

British model railway layout with model trains of Southern England. Model railways, model railway scenery ideas and model trains operating on UK model railways

GNER class 91 and mail train

Comment

Thanks a million Gordon - I will have to take time to view all the videos and links.

I may have put a link in the old forums, but here is the latest from Hamburg.

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/visit/

To see all of the site you will have to allocate days not hours!!!!

Enjoy

Ranald

Comment

Originally posted by Ranald View Post
        Thanks a million Gordon - I will have to take time to view all the videos and links.

I may have put a link in the old forums, but here is the latest from Hamburg.

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/visit/

To see all of the site you will have to allocate days not hours!!!!

Enjoy

Ranald
        Ranald,
        I remember the link from the old forum,the site is fantastic, i actually copied it to place it in a military forum.
        Gordon.

Comment

Hey Guys...Here I am again! I was the middle child with two brothers, plus my uncle had an obsession in regard to model trains, & the real thing! He used to leave the house suddenly, just so he could go to a certain crossing in the city, to watch a certain engine/train go by. He as well had a model layout in his basement. My brothers, as I remember, started making a model train layout, as can remember their working on making the green tops of trees, but I don't think they ever finished the project. We did have the basic Lionel model train when we were kids, though. Lots of reminiscences. Joan

Comment

Hi Joan, what do you mean 'they ever finished...', surely you mean 'we' lol

Ranald (running fast)

Comment

Joan,
              Those 'basic" Lionel [tinplate] train models are worth good money these days.
              Gordon.

Comment

Our next door neighbour back in Scotland was an engineer with British Rail. He had two daughters and one year he thought he'd try a get them interested in trains so bought them a train set for their Christmas. I'm told they were not amused <grin>.

Alastair

Comment

To all of my "male" teaser buddies....I get the strongest feeling that someone is "making fun" at my expense!!! Don't worry, I had more teasing when I was a child than anyone could ever have believed! One time, when our parents were gone, all 3 of us had a huge wrestling match. My elder bro was 4 years older than me, & younger was 1.5 yrs younger....guess who got a chipped tooth???
                  I stopped really fighting with my little bro, as one time, we put on boxing gloves, & I sure didn't like that, & quit. However, I was able to stand up for myself altogether, till he got stronger. Now he still plays at the same antics...& I'm kinda old to be experiencing the "teasing". He got stuck in a groove! (not literally!) By the by, my big brother used to pick me up, & shake me! I still like railroads & trains...have great memories of those old train cars, with the fusty seats, in compartments, with doors opening out. See ya...Joan

PS: Gordon, with our going to England in 1958, we lost most of our stuff, I don't know what my parents even did with our bikes! So....the trains are....mffffft!
                  Last edited by FriedaKateM; 27 June 2011, 12:58. Reason: addendum

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                    Our next door neighbour back in Scotland was an engineer with British Rail. He had two daughters and one year he thought he'd try a get them interested in trains so bought them a train set for their Christmas. I'm told they were not amused <grin>.

Alastair
                    When my daughter was young this is where I took her for "entertainment"

Wascoe Siding
                    About the Blue Mountains Railway Society
                    Wascoe Siding is operated by the Blue Mountains Railway Society, a non-profit group of interested people who own and maintain the park.

» Aims of the society
                    •To foster the gathering together of such persons in the community as are interested in the construction and operation of miniature locomotives and the miniature railway upon which they run.
                    •To provide a venue and facilities for the enjoyment by the Society's members and their associates while they operate a miniature railway.
                    •To promote interest in all aspects of model, miniature and full size railways.
                    •To provide a recreational and instructive reminder of the past and present impact of railways to the community at large.
                    http://www.infobluemountains.net.au/...oe/about.shtml

Now a photograph or two of Wasco Siding........................

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/...750026c69d.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/...28b250c918.jpg

http://www.infobluemountains.net.au/...icing-loco.jpg

First Maxitrak Planet in Australia - Full Lap 5" inch gauge Full lap of Wascoe Siding in Blaxland, NSW.

Wascoe Siding

Comment

Great setup. Wish we had one here where I live.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Here are some more interesting 'large railways' [models] down here in Tasmania.

Welcome to the Evandale

Light Railway and Steam Society Inc

The Evandale Light Railway and Steam Society Inc.

began evolution in the 1980's driven by the late Greg Waddle.

His dream was to bring together a group of railway, and steam, enthusiasts and build a track, on his property

at Evandale , such that they could enjoy their hobby and serve the community.

The Club was officially formed in 1989 and some of the founding members are still part of the club today

Just go to the link, the menu is on the LHS, the photographs in the main body of the site are 'clickable' for larger viewing.

http://www.evandale-light-rail.org.au/

also.......................

Boulder Creek Tramway
                        The Boulder Creek Tramway is a 71/4" (184mm) gauge miniature bush railway that is currently under construction at Howden, approximately 15 minutes south of Hobart in Tasmania. The track is around 900 metres in length featuring a 22 metre long tunnel and several bridges. A steep and winding track means the railway will never resemble a main line in miniature, but is more of a narrow gauge bush tramway hence the name "Boulder Creek Tramway". Due to the lay of the land, a conventional circuit or loop track is not possible therefore the track is of a point to point design with a reversing loop at each end to allow continuous running. Several stations will be situated along the length of the track and will include passing loops and eventually some form of automated signalling

This is worth looking at, photographs look great--- Boulder Creek Tramway Photo Gallery
                        http://www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek/BldrCrk-Gallery.php

Now for those who like full size restored and semi-restored locomotives and rolling stock, this is the place to visit...............

"The Coast's Premier Tourist Attraction." . . "The Don River Railway" :cool:

The site is fully searchable and there are plenty of photographs to 'click on' and enlarge/:cool:

http://www.donriverrailway.com.au/index.html
                        Last edited by 1938 Observer; 29 June 2011, 02:18. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hey,
                          We also had a killer model train when I was a young kid. My dad inherited it from his dad so it was really old then. We all loved it but since I was the youngest, my brother and sister hogged it and very rarely let me be the conductor. Dad also inherited an old pool table. That I was really good at but since I could usually beat the siblings, they wouldn't let me play much. Haha Don't know what happened to either but I remember them very fondly. My grandfather also played cards (?) and he framed a really good hand that he apparently won a bunch of money on. Don't know what happened to that either. Just such great memories!

Comment

Working...
                          X