Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCIENCE FICTION -Meet the Outcasts in a major new BBC One drama series.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCIENCE FICTION -Meet the Outcasts in a major new BBC One drama series.

I was going to place this one in "Favourite Television Viewing" but changed my mind to enter it here to attract Alastair's attention as we all are aware of his interest in "Science Fiction" :laugh2::wink::tongue:.

Date: 13.05.2010
    Category: BBC One; Drama
    A group of courageous pioneers face a unique opportunity: the chance to build a new and better future on another planet. Outcasts is an epic new eight-part drama series created by Ben Richards for BBC One.

They are led by President Tate (Liam Cunningham) and his core team of Stella (Hermione Norris), Cass (Daniel Mays) and Fleur (Amy Manson) – they took charge and settled here first alongside Expeditionaries Mitchell (Jamie Bamber) and Jack (Ashley Walters).

They are a diverse group of individuals who left their old lives behind in extraordinary circumstances; promised a second chance at life they created a society, far away from their home, friends, family... and their pasts.

Settled in the town of Forthaven on Carpathia, they are passionate about their jobs, confident of their ideals and optimistic about the future. They work hard to preserve what they've built on this planet they now call home, having embraced all the challenges that come with forging a new beginning.

The planet offers the possibility for both corruption and redemption; while they try to avoid the mistakes made on Earth, inevitably our heroes cannot escape the human pitfalls of love, greed, lust, loss, and a longing for those they've left behind.

As they continue to work and live together they come to realise this is no ordinary planet... is there a bigger purpose at work? Mystery lurks around them and threatens to risk the fragile peace of Forthaven.

We meet our characters at a moment of incredible anticipation, they've lost all contact with Earth but the arrival of the last known transporter signals fresh hopes and dreams. Will Stella's husband and daughter, who she heartbreakingly left behind, be on board? Why does Tate seem anxious about one particular passenger, Julius Berger (Eric Mabius)? Most nerve-wracking of all, will it land safely and bring a fresh perspective on the new world with it?

Jane Featherstone, Kudos Film & Television Creative Director and executive producer of Outcasts, says: "Finding a cast to match Ben's brilliant vision of our pioneering future was always going to be hard, but we are over the moon with the line-up on Outcasts – a group of actors so strong and diverse that I think we'll be desperate to watch as they tackle their brave new world."

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning, says: "Outcasts is a richly intelligent, character-led drama full of big ideas about what it is to be human told through thrilling and surprising stories that could only appear in this show.

"Ben Richards has created a remarkable world peopled with compelling characters, and it is hugely exciting that this amazing cast is going to bring it to life."

Currently filming in South Africa for transmission on BBC One later this year, Outcasts is produced by Radford Neville (Married, Single, Other and Wuthering Heights) and directed by Bharat Nalluri (Tsunami, Spooks, Hustle, Life On Mars) and Omar Madha (Spooks, Law & Order, Burn Up).

Executive Producers are Jane Featherstone, Simon Crawford Collins, Faith Penhale and Ben Richards from Kudos and Matthew Read for the BBC. Commissioned by Ben Stephenson and Jay Hunt, Controller, BBC One.

Outcasts marks the latest high-profile scripted drama Kudos has produced for the BBC over the past decade, including popular award-winning series such as Spooks, Hustle, Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes.

Full cast and characters:

Liam Cunningham (Clash Of The Titans) is President Richard Tate, who runs Carpathia and is dedicated to keeping the human species alive.

Hermione Norris (Spooks) is Stella Isen, Head of Protection and Security (PAS), who sacrificed everything for the chance to save the world.

Amy Manson (Desperate Romantics) is Fleur Morgan, PAS Officer – young, bright and idealistic.

Daniel Mays (Ashes To Ashes) is Cass Cromwell, PAS Officer – unpredictable and fiercely loyal to Tate.

Jamie Bamber (Battlestar Gallactica) is Mitchell Hoban, Head of the Expeditionaries – progressive and ambitious.

Ashley Walters (Small Island) is Jack, Mitchell's second in command – tough, armed and dangerous.

Eric Mabius (Ugly Betty) is Julius Berger – vice president of the Evacuation Programme on Earth. Berger is en route to Carpathia on board transporter CT9, expecting the power and status he enjoyed on Earth.

Michael Legge (Shameless) is Irish charmer Tipper Malone; a rebel who speaks out against the authorities representing the voice of the displaced youth.

Langley Kirkwood (Generation Kill) is leader of the ACs, a group of cloned human beings and one of Carpathia's darkest secrets.

Patrick Lyster (Invictus) is the dignified and brave commander of transporter CT9.

Jeanne Kietzmann is Lily – lost, troubled and seeking answers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...outcasts.shtml

Outcasts - Series Trailer - BBC One

Preview of new drama series 'Outcasts', starring Hermione Norris, Eric Mabius, Liam Cunningham, Ashley Walters, Daniel Mays and Amy Manson, coming soon to BBC One.

Outcasts - Ep1 - Preview - BBC One

President Richard Tate and CT9's Captain Kellerman make contact as the people of Forthaven anxiously await the safe arrival of what could be the last transporter from Earth.

Re: SCIENCE FICTION -Meet the Outcasts in a major new BBC One drama series.

looks great Gordon and thanks for sharing. As it happens I subscribed to Netflix and have been watching the Earth2 series with I think 21 episodes available. It's great being able to view that series again without adverts.

Alastair

Comment

Hi!
      My son is addicted to Science Fiction. He is a long distance truck driver and loves listening to Science Fiction books on tape. I will have to mention this to him but I am not sure it will be available here in the states.

Comment

Diane...I seem to remember it is either going to be on BBC America, or maybe PBS (the one closest to you). I sure know I saw it somewhere!!!! I'm none too interested in Sci-fi, but did enjoy the BBC one of all the people in Britain dying of something, & then the ones who were left, & how they got along. That ran for several episodes, & I think it may have been called Survivors. Joan

PS: I lived in GB, so tend to like those BBC shows.
        Last edited by FriedaKateM; 29 June 2011, 15:55. Reason: add on

Comment

Working...
        X