Scottish Towns in North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Towns in North Carolina

Got an email in from Michael Craig pointing to this wee bit of information on Scottish towns in North Carolina...

Laurinburg
    Incorporated in 1877, Laurinburg is the seat of Scotland County. It's home to St. Andrews Presbyterian College and is a three-time winner of the All America City Award.

Maxton
    Descendants of Scottish immigrants settled this town. It was first called Mackstown and then Shoe Hill. It's the hometown of Angus McLean, who was governor of North Carolina from 1925 to 1929.

Linville
    Linville hosts the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games, which draw Scots from all over the world. The town's landscape is similar to Scotland's.

Scotland Neck
    Scottish colonists founded this southeastern Halifax County town in 1722. It was incorporated in 1867.

Highlands
    This southeastern Macon County town has terrain similar to the Highlands of Scotland. It also gets lots of rain, just like Scotland.

Alastair

Re: Scottish Towns in North Carolina

I just happen to be searching for a Carolina Scot !! Duncan Ochiltree came to Carolina in 1739, with brother David..He married a Vera fleming. His parents were John Ochiltree and Katherine McLea. Duncan was born in Glascow in 1709.

Duncan was a Loyalist. He was Merchant. He lived in Mecklenberg. He assisted another gentleman in forming the first Grand Masonic Lodge there, he was one of the signors of the Mecklenberg Declaration of Independence a year before the American one was drawn up. The English were invading and the citizens were afraid he would engage the English to buy his wares and that he would turn coat against the colonists..The men erased his name from the Declaration and ran Duncan out of town...to get on the Yadkin and never return.

Next May is the 237th anniversary of the Declaration. My project is to do a bio of Duncan Ochiltree....I have found everything I need except for a death record. If he did not die that night on the Yadkin, He may have changed his name...would he have taken his mothers maiden name or his wifes maiden name..:???

Comment

Re: Scottish Towns in North Carolina

Aberdeen is in central NC, west of Fayetteville, south of the Triangle, right next to all the golf courses in Pinehurst.
      author of "A Faerie's History of Caledonia" (a short history of Scotland - with a twist).
      http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34462
      author page:
      http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/jeffmaurer

Comment

Working...
      X