Memoirs of the Jacobites
    R. B. Cunninghame Graham, Fighter for Justice
    Songs of John Henderson
    John's Scottish Sing-Along
    Our New Zealand Cousins
    James Geikie
    History of Loch Kinnord
    Memoirs of Robert Dollar (New Book)
    Life of the Rev. Thomas Guthrie D.D. (New Book)
    Beth's Newfangled Family Tree
    A Scot in China of Today
    My Canadian Experience
    The Misty Isle of Skye (New complete book)
    Fishing Smack Reaper
    Crieff: It's Traditions and Characters (New complete book)
    Great Founders of Falkirk and Glasgow
    The Working Life of Christina McKelvie

Electric Scotland News
    ----------------------
    Yes... another video newsletter this week and this time with a song! I might get better and show you some pictures while a song plays but not there yet. I got critized for cutting of my chin last week so I moved the camera a bit but then noticed too late the sun was shining on part of my face this week.. oh well I guess I can only get better <grin>

I got an email in this week which said how useful the site has been BUT it also mentioned the number of dead links within our Clans section. This made me do a review of that section and I was just staggered at the number of links I found that were dead. I thus spent a whole day going through all the clan and family pages testing all the links and found around 150 dead links. That's just terrible.

I'm not sure what that says about clans that so many sites have died or been replaced with new domains. This section of the site is really the only one where I make a point of trying to place external links to the official clan web sites. I'm just mighty glad that I don't need to rely on these to provide information about the clans.

It also tells me that this is going to have to be a semi regular task to review these links <sigh>

-----

We are pleased to announce that we have upgraded our webcard system. We are currently working on integrating the system with both Facebook and Twitter so that you can send cards directly but, until that time, come to http://www.scotcards.org and have fun.

We are currently adding a Fantasy Card section and have authorizations from Larry Elmore, Keith Parkinson, Gerald Brom and many more to come. We have started adding cards from Larry Elmore and will continue to expand the Fantasy section over the next few weeks as we expand many other things within the Electric Scotland system.

The categories we have are currently...

Scotland
    Bonnie Scotland
    Crail
    Electric Scotland
    Elie
    Foss
    GlenLyon
    Greeting Cards
    Historic Clan Cards
    Isle of Skye
    Misc Pictures
    Pitenweem
    Scenic Scotland
    Scottish Fact File
    Specials
    St Monance
    David McConnell Hunter
    Autumn in Scotland
    Island of Mull
    November in Scotland
    Morvern and Ardgour
    Glen Nevis
    Glencoe
    Winter in Scotland
    Scottish Clans
    MacIntyre
    MacKenzie
    MacPherson
    MacThomas
    Rattray
    Fraser
    Canada
    PEI
    British Columbia
    Cape Breton
    Elliot Lake
    Guelph
    Fergus and Elora
    Caledonia
    Elmira
    Niagra
    CN Tower
    USA
    Kentucky in Winter
    Carolinas
    Charleston SC
    Specials
    Fantasy
    Elmore

We'd be more than happy to add more categories and sub categories should anyone want to donate some good pictures.

We also have a wee music section with a Michael Jackson and Scottish section and we'll add more as we get the time.

Also we have a poetry section which is actually both poetry and stories. Again we plan to expand on this as we get the time. Right now we have some wee stories as well as some Robert Burns poems up. And if you wish to contribute to this do get in touch.

I've tested out the system by scheduling cards to go out several days in advance and also used the Reminder program to do the same. The cards and reminders arrived as expected so I know that this now works as it should.

And so do visit and check it out at http://www.scotcards.org

-----

And of course here in Canada we will be enjoying the visit from William and Katherine which starts at 2.00 pm this Thursday. From a Candian perspective this should be a marvellous marketing opportunity for Canada. I noted after their first couple of hours on Canadian soil they were already taking about it being a marvellous success. They were commenting about how many young people were in the crowds which are huge! They expect double the number of people attending the Canada Day event tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tourcawk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	23790

-----

Rosemary Sanderson, Stan Bruce, and Andrew Bruce made their way to Fraserburgh today to meet the team from Real Life Media who were making a short fim for the BBC's One Show (Currently has about 5 million viewers daily). The film is about the herring lassies (Gutting Quines), and talks about how hard their work was and the songs that they sung. Rosemary author of the 'Herring Lassies - Following the Herring' ISBN 978-09547960-6-8, was interviewed in a rigging loft belonging to William Whyte.

In The Broch we met up with Evelyn (Bunty) Davidson (Stan's aunt) who Stan had persuaded to give a demonstration on how to gut herring even though she hadn't gutted one professionally for about 60 years, and the presenter Carrie Grant (Fame Academy) donned a gutting apron, and became the most glamourous herring lassie in history, and stuck-in and had a go herself.

Herring lassie songs were later in the afternoon sung in Maggie's Hoosie in Inverallochy.

Look out for the film on the BBC ONE SHOW in about one months time.

For a copy of the HERRING LASSIES book contact banffshiremaritime@yahoo.co.uk price £5.00 plus £1.00 for postage in the UK.

You can see some pictures taken at the filming at http://www.webhistorian.co.uk/pages/index.php?id=137

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/rss/whatsnew.php

Electric Scotland Community
    ---------------------------
    As part of our review of the community we have tried firstly to ensure everything works as it should which is partly why we got our Postcard system sorted out. I'd forgotten about any cards being scheduled for other than immediate send not working. So that meant this was the first job needing done. As far as I am now aware everything is now working as it should and so now it will be up to us to bring you some new facilities and we've already selected some new mods which we'll be integrating into the community.

Mind that while the mod might sound good to us it's not until it is installed that we'll see what it actually does for us. That simply means while we put it up it might not remain up if in our view it does little for us.

And I thought I'd share a wee story from our Rib Ticlers forum that Joan sent in...

Fast Thinking Old Man !!!
    Thought this one was a good one to share with all:

Senior citizen bought a brand new BMW Z4 convertible and drove it out of the salesroom.

Taking off down the motorway, he floored it to 120mph; enjoying the wind blowing through what little hair he had left.

”Amazing!" he thought as he flew down the M4, enjoying pushing the pedal to the metal even more.

Looking in his rear view mirror, he saw a police car behind him, blue lights flashing and siren blaring.

"I can get away from him - no problem!" thought the elderly nutcase as he floored it to 140mph, then 150 then 160.

Suddenly, he thought, "What on earth am I doing? I'm too old for this nonsense!"

So he pulled over to the side of the road and waited for the police car to catch up with him.

Pulling in behind him, the police officer walked up to the driver's side of the BMW, looked at his watch and said, ”Sir, my shift ends in 10 minutes. Today is Friday and I'm taking off for the weekend. If you can give me a reason why you were speeding that I've never heard before, I'll let you go."

The old man, looked very seriously at the policeman and replied, "Years ago my wife ran off with a policeman. I thought you were bringing her back."

"Have a good day, Sir", said the policeman.

Our community can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.org but of course if you are reading this you're already in it :-)

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
    --------------------
    This weeks issue is now available compiled by Ian Goldie.

You can get to the Flag at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland
    ----------------------------------------
    And of the Border Raids, Forays and Conflicts by John Parker Lawson (1839). This is a new publication we're starting on which is in 4 volumes. We intend to post up 2 or 3 stories each week until complete.

This week we've added...

Life And Character Of James VI
    King Robert The Bruces Castle
    Specimens Of Ancient Pageantry

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/wars/

Poems of George Alexander Rodger
    --------------------------------
    Added another three poems, "Bonfire at Straloch", "Br-r-r-r!" and "Kilry Ceilidh" which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/rodger.htm

Memoirs of the Jacobites
    ------------------------
    Of 1715 and 1745 by Mrs Thomson (1845) in 3 volumes. We intend to add a chapter a week until complete.

I've now added "William Gordon, Viscount Kenmure"

The account starts...

The origin of the distinguished surname of Gordon is not clearly ascertained: "some," says Douglass, "derive the Gordons from a city of Macedonia, named Gordonia; others from a manor in Normandy called Gordon, possessed by a family of that name. The territory of Gordon in Berwickshire was, according to another account, conferred by David the First upon an Anglo-Norman settler, who assumed from it the name of Gordon.

William Gordon, sixth Earl of Kenmure, was descended from a younger son of the ducal house of Gordon; in 1633 Sir John Gordon of Lochinvar was created Viscount Kenmure and Lord of Lochinvar; and the estates continued in an unbroken line until they descended to William, the sixth Viscount, who was the only Scottish peer in 1715 who suffered capital punishment.

This unfortunate nobleman succeeded his father in 1698; and possessed, up to the period of his taking the command of the army in the south, the estates belonging to his family in the Stuartry of Kirkcudbright. Kenmure Castle, still happily enjoyed by the family of Gordon, stands upon an eminence overlooking the meadows, at that point where the river Ken expands into a lake. The Castle was originally a single tower, to which various additions have been made according to the taste of different owners. The Castle Keep is now ruinous and unroofed, hat the body of the house is in good repair. A fine prospect over the scenery of the Glenhens is commanded by the eminence on which the castle stands. An ancient avenue of lime-trees constitutes the approach to the fortress from the road.

You can read the rest of this long story at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter07.htm

You can read the other chapters as we get them up at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/jacobites

R. B. Cunninghame Graham, Fighter for Justice
    ---------------------------------------------
    An Appreciation of his Social and Religious Outlook by Ian M. Fraser (2002).

Added two more chapters to this account...

The Suffering Of The Poor
    The Championship Of The Poor

You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/graham/

songs of John Henderson
    -----------------------
    John has sent us in several of his songs this week WHich you can read at the foot of his page at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/doggerels.htm

John's Scottish Sing-Along
    --------------------------
    Compiled by John Henderson

John sent in a new song for his section, "Glencoe" which you can listen to at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...long/index.htm

Our New Zealand Cousins
    -----------------------
    By James Inglis (1887)

We now have several more chapters up of this book...

Chapter III.
    Cambridge—Mixture of races—Our Jehu, Harry—The Waikato river—Novel sheep feed—The Waikato terraces—A town of one building—A dangerous pass—The lonely, lovely bush—First glimpse of Rotorua—Ohinemutu—Steams and stenches—The primitive cooking-pot—Striking contrasts—Wailing for the dead—An artless beggar "for the plate"— The baths—Whackarewarewa—A Maori larder— Volcanic marvels—Subterranean activity—Barter— The road maintenance man—Forest wealth—The track of the destroyer—The Blue Lake—Musselshell Lake—Wairoa village—Kate the guide— McRae's comfortable home.

Chapter IV.
    A rude awaking—An enraged Amazon—"Too hot "for the thief—We start for the Terraces—Lake Tara-wera—A merry boat's crew—The Devil's Rock— Native delicacies—The landing-place—First view of the Terraces—Beauty indescribable—The great basin empty—Pluto's foghorn—The majesty of nature—Wonder upon wonder—The mud cones— Devil's Holq—The Porridge Pot—Devil's Wife-Poor Ruakini.

Chapter V.
    Lunch—An ogre—Bush rats—Kate's "familiar"—The Pink Terraces—Sacrilegious scribblers—Nature's masterpiece—Words too tame for such a sight— A Sybarite's bath—Back to Wairoa—The waterfall— Fern-hunting—Adieu to Wairoa.

Chapter VI.
    Traits of native character—The wharepuni or common dormitory—The processes of civilization—Foul feeding—Causes of disease—Attempts at reform in social customs—The primitive carving-knife—The Hau Haus—The Urewera country, the Tyrol of New Zealand—Captain Mair's description of the hillmen—The Urewera women—Some queer facts —Extraordinary pigs—A whimsical scene—Then and now, a sharp contrast—A stirring episode of the old war—Snapping of the old links—A Maori chiefs letter.

Chapter VII.
    The s.s. Rotomahana—Opotiki, a military settlement—A sensible system of emigration—Faults of the Sydney system—A chance for capital—The town of Gis-borne—Napier—Public spirit—Projected harbour works—Napier, the Malta of the southern seas—An attenuated army.

Chapter VIII.
    The famous Hawke's Bay pastures—Hastings—Maori farmers—Mountain torrents—A backwoods clearing —Wasteful methods—The forest and hill country— Woodville—The famous Manawatu gorge—A curious ferry—Palmerston.

Chapter IX.
    A homely hotel—Hotel management in New Zealand and New South Wales—Sharp criticism—Wan-ganui, the town—Its fine reserve—Mount Ruapehu —A pioneer settler—Diligent farmers—Great fertility of soil—Signs of prosperity—A coasting steamer—The Rip—Entrance to Wellington Harbour—Panoramic view of the capital—Then and now—Importance of the city—View from Mount Victoria.

In Chapter III we read...

At Cambridge there is a commodious hotel kept by Mr. Gillett. In the big garden behind the house I came upon many old friends—the dear wee modest daisy, sweetwilliam, violets, old fashioned roses, stocks, primroses, and all the favourites of an English garden—gooseberry bushes of something like the home proportions, and cabbages of giant size, all spoke of a cooler climate than that we had just left. The early mornings, with the heavy dew begemming every leaf and blade, and the fresh breeze scattering the liquid pearls at every puff, are most bracing and refreshing after the hot, languid Sydney summer. Cambridge is a neat, though straggling town. It is fairly in the Maori country, and groups of gaudily dressed Maoris and half-castes are everywhere met with. Evidences of the mixture of race are apparent in the sign-boards. Each English announcement of the trade or profession practised inside, is blazoned also with the Maori equivalent in Roman letters. Owing to the admirable Maori schools, most of the younger natives can now read and write very fairly. Law*yers and land-agents seem to thrive here, judging from the sign-boards. A flaring placard catches my eye, bearing witness to the fact that on Easter Monday, after the sports, there will be a Maori dance, proceedings to conclude with European dances. These mixed dances, from all accounts, are not such as St. Anthony would have patronized.

Under the care of Harry Kerr, one of the very nicest, most efficient, and most good-natured of Jehus it has ever been my good fortune to encounter, we take our departure from the hotel in the sweet, fresh morning, covered saddle, and far as the eye can reach in front, we look across a great strath or broad valley, all barred and scarred, disrupted, riven, and tumbled about, into ravines, terraces, ridges, and conical peaks, showing what terrific and eccentric forces must have been at work at some former epoch. We bowl rapidly along now, crossing numerous clear brooks, their sparkling current playing amid the vivid green of the watercress, and forming a grateful contrast to the dun bracken and manouka all around. In among the ridges, arc tall groups of tree-ferns, with enormous fronds radiating gracefully from their mossy centres. But now, with a cheery halloa to the horses, who neigh and prick their ears responsively, with a crack of the whip and the rattle of hoofs, we pull up at Rose's Hotel, at Oxford; and, laden with dust, we descend, shake ourselves, and are shown into clean cool rooms, where we make plentiful ablutions, and soon enjoy a most appetizing and toothsome repast. We expect from the name to find a pretentious academic town. Not so, however. The traveller in the colonies, soon learns to attach mighty little significance to names. In N.S.W., for instance, Vegetable Creek is a mining centre with some*times eight or nine thousand inhabitants, while the adjacent township of Dundee, consists of two public-houses, one store, and a few bark-covered sheds, pigstyes, and a post-office.

You can red the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter03.htm

You know if any folk from New Zealand are reading these chapters you might consider sending us in some pictures for any of these chapters. While it is great reading them it would also be great to see some pictures of the areas he is talking about.

You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/nzcousins/

James Geikie
    ------------
    The Man and The Geologist by Marion I Newbiggin and J S Flett (1917).

We have now completed this book with the following chapeters...

Part I.—Life and Letters

Chapter VIII. Final Edition of "The Great Ice Age," 1889-1903
    Chapter IX. Retirement from the Professorship and Last Days, 1904-15

Part II.—Geological Work

Chapter X. The Glacial Problem before James Geikie
    Chapter XI. "The Great Ice Age "and "Prehistoric Europe"
    Chapter XII. Educational and Administrative Work
    Chapter XIII. Interglacial Controversies
    List of Publications

Chapter VIII starts...

At the beginning of 1889 Prof. Geikie was awarded the Murchison medal of the Geological Society of London, " in acknowledgment of his important contributions to the geology of North Britain, and especially of his investigation of glacial phenomena." A letter of cordial congratulation from his old friend Mr Whitaker on the award speaks of the writer's own debt to the author, and of his adoption of a number of the latter's conclusions. In this year also he was made a D.C. L. of Durham University.

Prof. Geikie at the Age of Sixty.

At this time Prof. Geikie had added to his university work proper a course for women, who were as yet excluded from classes within the building. At the end of the course, in the spring of 1890, he took the members of the class on a long excursion to Birnam, to give them an insight into field geology. The party was a gay one, and their doings were celebrated by the leader in a series of verses, of which the first runs as follows:—

Of the Geologic Class
    Sing the glorious days' renown
    When to Birnam it did pass
    From the tumults of the town—
    A score of earnest students in their frocks,
    Behold the learned band,
    Each with hammer in her hand
    Prepared to pound to sand All the rocks.

Prof. Geikie's muse was also active the same summer at the dinner of the Edinburgh Royal Society Club, held in honour of Dr Nansen's return from Greenland, where he sang a song of his own composition which met with a great reception. Its motif was the joys of Greenland as a place remote from civilisation, and a lament over the fact that, except for that happy land, "the hale round world is tounifeed."

In this year also he was President of the Geological Section at the Newcastle-on-Tyne meeting of the British Association, and devoted his presidential address to the subject of "Glacial Geology."

In 1891 he returned to America, this time to deliver a course of lectures at the Lowell Institute in Boston. This gave him an opportunity to renew many pleasant friendships made during his previous visit, but his stay was somewhat marred by an attack of influenza. Among his papers are many notes of invitation and greeting, an interesting one being from Prof. William James, which contains careful instructions as to how the host's house might be found, accompanied by a sketch-map.

Yu can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter08.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ikie/index.htm

History of Loch Kinnord
    -----------------------
    By Rev. J. G. Michie (1877)

We have now completed this book by adding...

Chapter XI. Story of Nellie Ogg
    Appendix

Chapter XI starts...

The following sketch of humble life, as it existed on the shores of Loch Kinnord towards the close of last century, may not be unacceptable to the general reader as a sequel to the foregoing history.
    When our story opens, Nellie Ogg was a playful little girl about twelve years of age. Her parents occupied a small croft towards the north-western end of the loch, near the place where the ancient Al was situated, then called the Claggans, a name the origin of which has already been explained. The blight of desolation, in that dreariest and deepest of all its aspects—when it follows as a reaction on unwonted stir and adventitious populousness—had fallen on the whole district. Gone were the ancient Deailich with their hill forts and lake crannogs, their sacrificial Al and their big canoes; gone were the early Christian preachers with their cross-incised stones, their rude churches and ruder claggans; gone were the great English armies that had more than once been seen here in their vain attempt to subjugate the stubborn Scottish nation; gone were the excitement and bustle wont to attend the visits of royal personages here; gone were also the pomp and circumstance of the great baronial hall, thronged with the retinue of the high feudal lord who scarcely owned a superior; and gone, too, were the hordes of Highland banditti, and the relentless soldiers of conquering generals, whose work was plunder and demolition—all were gone, while the wrecks they left behind them were heaps of ruins, a few fragments of blackened walls, and a confused mass of broken and disjointed timbers.

In this state the shores of Loch Kinnord had long lain almost desolate. It was a place of evil fame, haunted by the ghosts of the departed, by the denizens of the nether world and their coadjutors, the wizards and witches of the human kind! Thus superstition had invested it with a terror which, though it kept the land tenantless, yet for long preserved the ruins from spoliation. [As an example of the superstitious beliefs then entertained, it may be stated that the witches, in common with the fraternity elsewhere, rode the air on broomsticks, and the wizards sailed the lake in riddles—i. e., corn-sieves divided into meshes by interlacing splits of wood. One of these wizards had the gifts of music and poetry to so high a degree that his fame had reached the capital; and a great lord there became exceedingly desirous of securing his services. The wizard, however, rejected all offers of such employment made to him; and it was discovered that he could not be compelled unless some greater magician were found to put him under the required spell or bondage. The services of such an one were at length secured, who, coming to Loch Kinnord under disguise, got an interview, and laid his wand upon the shoulder of this preternatural genius, who henceforth for a certain number of years became his bondsman. He now hired him out to the nobleman in Edinburgh, in whose halls he sang his songs, and at whose banquets he supplied the music. But though bound in obedience to the spell upon him to perform his task, he was not happy, for a fragment of his muse, which has survived in the traditions of the district, represents him as frequently thus soliloquizing :—

"I 'd rather be on Loch Kinnord
    Rowan' in a riddle,
    Than here in Edinburgh town
    Playan' on the fiddle."]

By-and-by one daring sceptic after another ventured to settle on the unoccupied fields, till at length a goodly number of small huts, called "reekan houses" again gave signs

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter11.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...nord/index.htm

Memoirs of Robert Dollar
    ------------------------
    By the Robert Dollar Company in 2 volumes (1917)

Captain Robert Dollar (1844—1932) was born in Falkirk, Scotland. The title "Captain" was honorary and he was called the “Grand Old Man of the Pacific". Both were bestowed after his entry into the shipping industry. Dollar became a lumber baron, shipping magnate, philanthropist; he was also a Freemason.

California Governor James Rolph, Jr. said at the time of his death, "Robert Dollar has done more in his lifetime to spread the American flag on the high seas than any man in this country." He made the cover of Time magazine on March 19, 1928, with several writings concerning his business', and was given a long obituary in the May 23, 1932, issue. [from Wikipedia]

I've always been amazed at what Scots have done in the world and as you read this book you just have to be impressed at how this Scot made a huge difference to his adopted country of America. Now that we can all see the massive growth in China you'll see how time and again he is predicting this growth and what it could mean for America. You'll also see how the short term view of members of congress virtually destroyed this trade which to me shows how we need people of stature with a long term view rather than the short term that they seem to still have today.

To me this is what history is all about... learning from our past so we don't make the same mistakes and learning from the vision and enterprize of people in history who made a huge difference to their country.

I highly recommend this book to you which can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/rdollar/

Life of the Rev. Thomas Guthrie D.D.
    ------------------------------------
    This is another new book we're starting on another famous Scot but this time on the home front.

Thomas Guthrie was another man of vision and philanthropy who in his day did much for the children of Scotland and I posted up a wee bio of him which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.org/show...Thomas-Guthrie

This is of course a complete book about him which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/guthrie/

Beth's Newfangled Family Tree
    -----------------------------
    Compiled by Beth Gay

The July edition is now available with all the usual interesting articles and stories which make a great read. You can read this issue at http://www.electricscotland.com/bnft

A Scot in China of Today
    ------------------------
    Compiled by Ron Dow

This week Ron is taking us to Kunming in South West China (Jade capital). Once again he has included some great pictures which we hope you'll enjoy.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter05.htm

His other articles can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../dow/index.htm

My Canadian Experience
    ----------------------
    Added my quarterly report for April, May, June 2011 which ends with William and Katherine arriving in Canada for their nine day royal tour. You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.net/canada_91.htm

The Misty Isle of Skye
    ----------------------
    Its Scenery, Its People, Its Story by J. A. MacCulloch (1905)

In the Preface the author writes...

THIS book is made up, for the most part, of a series of impressions of places and things in the Isle of Skye, noted down from time to time during the last seven years, and given a connected form in the intervals of leisure snatched from more serious work. I have tried to put into words the impressions formed on the mind of one who is a lover of nature and alive to the spell of a romantic past. The beauty of nature and the romance of history are combined in the Isle of Skye in a way perhaps unequalled in any other part of Britain. There are few who, if they know Skye, do not appreciate its charms, natural and romantic. For them, and for those who care for such charms wherever found, this book has been written.

I came across this book which is in pdf format and couldn'd resist taking a copy of it for the site. As we already have a book about Skye on the site I decided not to ocr the whole book in so just added the Preface and a couple of great wee poems and at the foot of the page provide you with a link to download the book.

You can get to this at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/skye/misty.htm

Fishing Smack Reaper
    --------------------
    Got in some pictures of the fishing smack Reaper when it visited Lossiemouth in 2011 and our thanks to Jim Campbell for sending them to us. You can view these at http://www.electricscotland.com/loss...ats/reaper.htm

Crieff: It's Traditions and Characters
    --------------------------------------
    With Annecdotes of Strathearn by D Macara (1881)

"THIS work is intended to serve an important purpose. In every district, but especially in one so important as that of Crieff, there is much floating information which has been transmitted from generation to generation, but which has never been written in a book. There are reminiscences of obsolete customs, traditions, and superstitions, and humorous anecdotes of schoolmasters, ministers, and other public men. These are not the materials which are usually taken up by historians, but still they do throw some light upon history. They may give us some idea of what is so often ignored by dignified historical writers, viz., the lives of the common people. We may get some notion of their houses, their dress, their furniture, their food, their superstitions, their amusements, their way of thinking, speaking, and acting.

It is with a view of preserving a varied collection of local traditions and stories that the publisher has made the following selection. It embraces notes and incidents relating to almost all phases of country and village life in and around Crieff, more especially referring to the first sixty years of the century, which will, it is hoped, give an insight into those scenes of " the good old times," which are looked back upon with mixed feelings, and most of which, owing to the irresistible effects of change, will never be re-enacted.

For these reasons the Publisher hopes that this book will prove both entertaining and instructive, not only to the inhabitants and frequenters of Crieff and its neighbourhood, but to the English reading public generally.

The Publisher in his endeavour to produce this work has been greatly aided by Mr D. Kippen, Crieff, and also by Mr John M'culloch (Barn-kittoch), who has supplied many of his well known and racy pieces. To both of these gentlemen he begs to tender his best thanks.

June 1881.

This is a book in two parts with no chapters. I kind of compromised on this book in that I have done a "rough" ocr'ing of this book onto the site but have also made available each part in pdf format so you can decide how best to read it. You can read the complete book at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/crieff/

Great Founders of Falkirk and Glasgow
    -------------------------------------
    This is Chapter VI of this series by John Henderson. This now completes this series which can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...n/founders.htm

The Working Life of Christina McKelvie
    --------------------------------------
    Got in Christina's diary for 24th June which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...vie/110624.htm

And our congratulations to her on being elected as convenor for the Europe and External Relations Committee.

And finally...

I got in a wee story from Ranald McIntyre that I have posted onto the site but thought I'd share it with you here...

All tickets ready please

Towards the end of the 1930's and beginning of the 1940's, my brother Donald and I enjoyed many train journeys, from Edinburgh to the Blair Athol or Cairngorm areas.

When arriving at Perth, we noted that there was a slight delay, while the Glasgow train arrived, and it's coaches coupled to the rear of our train.

Some of the Glasgow passengers would then look into the Edinburgh section to see if there was more room, the passengers having wished and alighted in Perth.

In due time the train left Perth for the north.

With the foregoing in mind we heard a story about a group of eight young students from Glasgow, heading north for a weekend hill walking.

When walking along the Perth platform, looking for an empty compartment, one of the students, unknown to himself, dropped his rail ticket.

One of the other students, picking up the ticket and with one finger over his lips, indicating the others had to say nothing about the dropped ticket.

As the train approached Pitlochry, a voice could be heard from the corridor, “All tickets ready please". Yes it was the ticket inspector.

The students brought out their tickets, except the one who had dropped his one. Muttering in a bit of a panic, he said to his fellow students, you can all vouch for me that I did have a ticket.

The other students said that the inspector would probably not accept that, and would insist on full payment.
    The student who found the ticket suggested that his friend hides himself under the seat, but this was rejected... well until the voice could be heard getting nearer "All tickets ready please"

It was too much and the unfortunate student succumbed, and struggled to get under the seat. His friends used jackets and small haversacks, to hide the parts still showing.

At this point the one with the found ticket collected the others from his companions, and it was just moments later that the compartment door slid open and the voice "All tickets ready please".

The tickets were then handed to the inspector who said, "There are eight tickets, and only seven of you"... to which a jacket was moved to show the face of the one under the seat, and the reply given was, "Oh our friend prefers to travel this way".

Giving a knowing smile the inspector slide the door closed and was again heard to say "All tickets ready please".

I never did hear what happened next in the compartment with the students.

Good clean fun....

Ranald

And that's it for now and hope you all have a good weekend.

Alastair
    http://www.electricscotland.com

Re: Newsletter 1st July 2011

The "Web Historian" website mentioned above is really worth looking at with all those photographs and articles [Herring Lassies] You can see some pictures taken at the filming at http://www.webhistorian.co.uk/pages/index.php?id=137

Comment

Working...
    X