A touch of eccentricity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A touch of eccentricity

In the spring of last year, I spotted a little plant trying to establish itself at the edge of my patio in the crack between tiles. It was a wee thistle. And so, I pampered it and it sprouted to a magnificent four feet or about with multiple blooms to the delight of many bees. Well, to show its gratitude that wee thistle cast its seeds and, behold, this spring two banks of thistles grew among the tiles of the patio. I chuckled and thought it quite a hoot. So, I sit among the thistles as my neighbors look at me askance questioning my senses and senility. But don't you think that is a bonnie sight? Of course, I may not be so enthused if the gratitude spreads across the entire patio next spring.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0792 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	23794Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793 (2).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	23795

Re: A touch of eccentricity

Lizzie....isn't it grand to be slightly eccentric??? I'll bet that you feed the birds in some way, & that's how you got thistles growing!!??!! I have always liked the flowers of thistle, it's just the prickles I don't like. Hope you'll keep on posting on here, as it's good to see some women doing so! Thanks, Joan

Comment

Liz Green is that you~~~

Ye can keep your thistles. I spent 6 weeks trying to get them out of my garden in Ontario. They really do take over and they don't just sspread by seeds. The root systems will surprise you.

Sorry I've not been in touch - the time just seems to be slipping by so fast.
      Sandy

Comment

Aye, Sandy. It's the one and only. You sensed the daftness in the post, did you? You and Betty have been much in my thoughts lately. Will write.

Comment

Hi Liz, the style was the give away:smile:

Good to see you back here after a really long break - writers block!!!

Sandy

Comment

Na! My Texas Tilly twin forty-fours were weary banging on the keyboard elsewhere. Glad I have a life back.

Comment

HELP!! They're taking over, fast approaching eight feet tall, and I'm having to circumnavigate to get to a seat. Alright, Sandy, you don't have to say I told you so. Sometimes, eccentricity has to learn the hard way. :D

Comment

I did tell you so:smile:

I came back to Ontario to find that no-one had done any maintenance on the yard and they had taken over again. Spent a whole morning 'attacking' them before I left for 'up north'.

Bet when I get back they will back again.

I've heard that if you get some real weedkiller - illegal for us in ON - a put some on a cloth and wipe the stems it will go down to the roots and affect only that individual plant.
                May get Betty to take some over from UK and use "#1 son's" hand to put it on...
                Sandy

Comment

Thanks for the chuckle at the threatened abuse of #1 son. But, I know otherwise, Sandy. You soft touch! I was thinking back and realized it must be more than ten years that we met on this site. Do you remember Floyd in Florida? I still keep in touch with him.

Comment

Liz,

Welcome back home! I didn't recognize several when I came back. I kept asking after Sawney cause that is what Sandy used to call himself. I miss Chaz and Sir Doug.
                    kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly d View Post
                      Liz,

Welcome back home! I didn't recognize several when I came back. I kept asking after Sawney cause that is what Sandy used to call himself. I miss Chaz and Sir Doug.
                      Chaz died a few years ago Kelly. Doug let us know as Chaz's son contacted him.

Elda

Comment

Hi Elda,

Thanks. That Chaz was so funny with his tongue in cheek humour. We have lost several ES'ers. Life goes on but I know they touched my heart..
                        kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Working...
                        X