1997 GMC conversion van.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 GMC conversion van.....

Hello, all of us!!! I've been chewing over just what I can do about the above, my large white van. It has a tremendous security system in it, & a Pioneer radio/cd player system, etc. However, in leaving here, & going to the niece's wedding in Nags Head, NC., I came back & tried to start the van, & the battery was NOT alive. Do I need to advise, that the security system causes the battery to die down????

I've been having the same problem for the 6 years I've had the giant, & the security system will sound with the loudest siren in the parking area, if you even look at it cross-eyed! So, I'm the owner of a battery charger, but usually on doing this, as have done so for many times over the years, just the problem of the van NOT being "dependable" eats at me, if you know what I mean! Wake up at night, thinking about the van....etc. I do want to go camping at least once this summer down at Cumberland Gap, so finally today, with the help of my neighbor.....we got the great clunker going!!

Am considering this a triumphant day, & while out this eve, driving madly down the interstate, to charge it up, I was in my glory. Will have to continue to test it till I am able to "trust" it, & then perhaps, will exit to the big CG. I am going to purchase a new set of battery charger cables, though.

It's wonderful to sleep inside the van, just in case some of those reputed bears come around down there. That's the ONLY reason I like the siren & system! I do need to save $ as will have to feed the monster gas, & should have it checked a bit before taking off. This might take me into September. Who knows?? Any comments, or advice from the guys??? Joan :shamrock:
    Last edited by FriedaKateM; 3 July 2011, 18:56. Reason: delete word

Re: 1997 GMC conversion van.....

Joan,
    As you seem to have had the same problem for a number of years there could be a problem somewhere in the system of "leakage' [electrical] . why not take "The Beast" to a competent auto electrician and have the electrical system fully tested....also what type of battery is installed??, there are heavy duty 'deep cycle' batteries available for high drain systems, also, is the alternator in the vehicle charging at an appropriate rate to keep the battery fully charged???

What is the difference between a heavy duty car battery and a deep cycle ?
    Automotive batteries withstand providing a huge surge of power for short periods of time, but don't tolerate being fully discharged very well. Anything more than half discharging an automotive battery greatly shortens its life. Deep cycle batteries don't provide a huge surge of power (relative to the battery size) very well and trying to do so really shortens their life. But a deep cycle battery handles being fully discharged quite well. A deep cycle battery is much better for a steady current draw. Some boats that use a deep cycle battery for starting the engine will use a really big deep cycle battery (or two really big deep cycle batteries) considering the size of the engine, so the sudden draw of current to crank the engine is not so much relative to the size of the battery and then when the engine is off the battery can be used to power lights and trolling motors. If you want a really long lasting car battery, buy the biggest car battery you can fit in the car (low draw relative to battery size during cranking), but be sure to keep it charged if the car is parked for a long time (charge it at least every two weeks, preferably weekly).

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2084657AAUwfnn

Gordon :angelic:

Auto Parts in Crawfordsville, IN
    http://local.dmv.org/indiana/montgom...auto-parts.php

South Bend Auto Electric Service
    All BBB Accredited businesses in the category of
    South Bend Auto Electric Service
    http://www.bbb.org/northernindiana/a.../south-bend-in

Auto Electrical Systems - Service & Repair Directory of Indianapolis Indiana IN

http://www.powwwerpages.com/yellowpa...anapolis%20IN/
    Last edited by 1938 Observer; 3 July 2011, 23:06. Reason: add more guff

Comment

Gordon...the main difficulty is that "being armed" all the time, the security system continues when van is just sitting there. I've talked on phone with a manager of "service" of the closest Chevrolet/GMC dealer, & he said...firstly...."is it an "after-market" electrical system?" Of course, it is!!! A "conversion" van is one which comes off the production line, & is added onto by others, to make it into a camping type vehicle. It has a big picture window, woodwork etc., and the electrical system is very obviously changed....it has "wild" bedroom/party lights in the rear, which can be used...(although I don't). Very comfortable seats, in front, & the two riders' seats behind, with a big convertible couch, into a 3/4 size bed. As I've been nursing the van along for years, I know how to do it, even to the point of having a trickle solar charger on it when it's sitting. We had a lot of dark, rainy days back in spring....44 + inches of rain from Jan. 1 to June 30. Mucho rain.

I certainly appreciate your advice, but without a handful of cash, I need to keep nursing it along. The electrical systems' places you kindly provided, are all at a great distance from here. Indy is 75 miles away. Others are farther. I have ideas of having the siren & security system deleted, but it's more of a problem than I can afford at present. I have a neighbor down the road, wh has a "garage business", whom I will approach in regard to doing something, but still need $$$. You are a good friend!! Joan PS: when nobody is driving the vehicle, the alternator isn't working, either.
      Last edited by FriedaKateM; 4 July 2011, 14:56. Reason: PS add on.

Comment

One of the suggestions offered by Gordon.... charge the battery at home..... most battery chargers couple up to house mains, and use it when the vehicle is not in use.

Most of these chargers, plug into the vehicle 'cigar lighter' socket (fitted to nearly all vehicles nowadays).

Do you really have to have the security system working ALL the time, could wheel clamps, be used perhaps overnight

Ranald

Comment

Hey, Ranald....The whole security system works ALL the time, & is very sensitive. One night while sleeping in it down at Cumberland Gap, I got some tylenol or something out of the console in front, & closed it. The siren went off, thank goodness, I carry the little black button thingie close by, usually on a lanyard around my neck! You have to press the button to shut it off. I might look into what Gordon suggested, to see if there's a bigger battery, that doesn't run down as fast. This time yesterday, we had put a battery charger on it for hours, & when I got in & started it, it was really revved up!!!

And, I have a solar charger (trickle kind) which is plugged into the cigarette lighter. However, with those bad, dreary days, the sun wasn't out much. Anyway, at present, it's working okay...the van, I mean. I just have to be vigilant, & run it more. It is quite frustrating though, but makes up for it, when I can get out on the open road. When I'm going down I75 towards CG, I go like the wind...that's my poetic side coming out!!! Actually I've been going down there since I had smallish kids, at least since the '70's. It's a quiet national park, & you can sit & look at the squirrels, the birds, & wander around, looking at flowers & trees. And CG was where the pioneers came through the mountains, up into Kentucky, the Dark & Bloody Ground! Danl Boone was there, too. Thanks for the suggestions. Your pal, Joan PS: I did not put the security system in, but didn't realize when I bought it used, that it would run the battery down like that. Overall, I believe the van's really been good for me, for one thing, it's a heck of a lot more comfortable, just to drive, than my smaller Subaru. And I can sleep inside, & carry all my camp stuff.....also use it to store that same stuff!!
          Last edited by FriedaKateM; 4 July 2011, 20:28. Reason: PS

Comment

Working...
          X