Terrible Garden this Year....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible Garden this Year....

Being that we've had + 44 inches of rain from Jan to June 30 this year, my gardening has become a mess. At this point, it's starting to dry up, but in 2 of my 3 beds, there's large weeds, plus volunteers from last year's cosmos & borage. I need to weed, & try to get something quick into these beds to get some crop. I'm beginning to think that raising green beans, when I am here alone is kind of dopey. I do like fresh stuff, but there's only one to feed, & the cat boys will not eat vegetables.

I do have garlics, multiplier onions, & Elephant garlic growing nicely in the 3rd bed. Might have enough garlic to pass out to neighbors & family & friends. I do feel embarrassed in regard to garden, but our monsoon rains defeated me. Still have very tall grass back in the woods, & 2 downed trees, & am working on trying to get someone in to cut them up, & take them out!!! Joan

Re: Terrible Garden this Year....

I was going to have to a lot of cleaning up also but have noticed in the past few weeks that Wyoming is having a major grasshopper hatch this year. I only wish that the little buggers would be more selective about what they chew up.

Comment

Well, my veggies have a distinct rust color to them now - cayenne pepper. A woodchuck made quite a meal of my cabbages. Caught sight of the little varmint yesterday and almost nailed him with the hose. The woes of us gardeners!

Comment

Lizzie....last year I had young rabbits eating all my green beans down to just sticks!!! I went out & bought coyote urine capsules, & eventually blood meal, to try to repel them. However, a mama cat came here, & had 3 kittens, & the mom cleaned out all the young rabbits, & then I was able to get some beans!!! By the by, couldn't tell if the coyote capsules did any good. Didn't have a chance to use the bloodmeal, although I have 2 bags of it now. Just remembered it! Glad to see you're jumping in to posting, as we need more "girls" (or women) on here!!! Joan

PS: Worked in the woods this afternoon cutting grass, & got some of it cleared out. I still have to cut some paths, & a narrow area to the west, but that's about where one of those trees came down!
        Last edited by FriedaKateM; 5 July 2011, 21:33. Reason: PS

Comment

Hi, Joan:

My problems this spring started with a huge limb from a white pine crashing into my vegetable area and destroying the back fence. It landed with such force that seven foot metal posts were totally pounded into the ground. I erected a temporary structure and keep adding rocks along the base and have had little success keeping the little varmint out. It does have its likes and dislikes and informs me what my menu for planting should be next year. Oh well, there is a certain element of pleasure racing across the yard screaming like a banshee and watching it scuttle.

Comment

Working...
          X