A Scot in China of Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Scot in China of Today

This is a great series of articles about China which is being sent into us by Ron Dow who runs an import/export company there between Scotland and China.

He is also including a huge amount of pictures with each article. The latest one features...

Leshan Grand Buddha Scenic Area

Located at the conjunction of the Ming River, Dadu River and Qingyi River Leshan Grand Buddha Scenic Area is designated as a National Cultural Relic Protection Zone, World Cultural and Natural Heritage Site, National Scenic Area. The scenic area covers 17 88 square kilometers and has many attractions, such as the Leshan Grand Buddha, the world's largest stone sitting Buddha statue; the Great Sleeping Buddha, a miraculous product of nature outlined in the shape of the hills above the Grand Buddha; Wuyou Temple on Solitary Hill; the Mahao Tomb Caves, dating back to the Eastern Han Dynasty; the Sanctuary of Many Buddhas, a collection of Buddhist statuary and arts; and the Sanguijiuding, the relic of an ancient battlefield. Besides these, there are other famous cultural and historical spots and destinations, including the Lidui, a water conservancy project dating from the Qin Dynasty; Erya Pavilion, from the Song Dynasty; the cave of the Buddhist monk Haitong, Lingyun Temple, Lingbao Pagoda; the Dragon Pond and Tiger Cave the Nine-Turn Cliff Path; Dongpo Pavilion; Zhuyi Hall;'Xiaguanyin Temple; Qianfeng Cave; Moruo Pavilion; Bijin Pavilion; the Forest of Steles,' the Plum Blossom Garden; the Fishing Village; and others. The area is rich in Buddhist and cultural heritage. Many famous literary figures through history have left their mark here. Surrounded by hills and rivers, dotted with historical and cultural meaning, this area is like a natural scroll that attracts viewers from near and far.

You can read this article and the others at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/china/dow/

Alastair

Re: A Scot in China of Today

I might add that Ron is sending us in hi-res pictures and I've retained the size of the pictures he's sent in but have thumbnailed them down to around 292 pixels in width although the majority of them are more like 2000 pixels in width. Each of the pictures is clickable to the larger image.

Alastair

Comment

His series of articles and the stories make good reading/viewing, :cool: now I can enjoy all the travel/culture sitting in comfort at my screen without the expense of travel. :wink:

Comment

I'm not sure I had any particular view of China other than perhaps Hong Kong. But having recently worked on James Legge and followed his travels in China I was quite struck with the sheer size of the place and the different parts. I guess it's a bit like Canada from the point of view of the size but also the diversity of land.

I was watching a debate on China last night and the one Chinese person on the debating team was saying that we should try to understand the Chinese better by reading Confucius. And as it happens James Legge transcribed his writings and other Chinese Classics into English. He had said you can't be a missionary in China without understanding the Chinese way of thinking which is why he undertook the translation. I'm told the second edition of the translations is the best as he continued to learn he made some changes to his original works to make them more accurate. When he retired from China after some 33 years he became the head of the Chinese Department at Oxford University.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
        X