Part devolution for Scotland ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part devolution for Scotland ?

A very interesting word for the UK, and Scotland in particular, from an ex UK Conservative Prime Minister.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14093640

Ranald

Re: Part devolution for Scotland ?

I think he's just being pragmatic in realising the situation that Britain is in today. Germany did rather well out of the re-construction after WWII and of course they didn't need to spend enormous sums on defense. Also due to their cities being heavily damaged they had to re-build with new factories and infrastructure. Whereas Britain staggered on with old factories and infrastructure and the cost of a Nuclear capability. And although I'll probably be criticized for saying it they did kill off a large number of defective human beings and so did not have such a huge health bill to care for them.

I think we could do with a good analysis on the successful countries in the world to see how they are managing.

Although I have said China is the future they also are stacking up huge problems in that they are having a property boom which is really unsustainable. Also they have huge bank debts building up. Not in the "A Scot in China of Today" Ron has already referred to businesses being sold for a dollar.

Then we are heading for a world food crisis. And that's a whole other story. In the west we waste an enormous amount of food. Like how many times do you see "Buy 1 get 1 free". So if you are buying one why not just take the free one with it even though it's unlikely you'll use the free one. Like get one pack of tomatoes and get one pack free but by the time you finish the one pack the other has gone off.

But as I say food is a whole other problem we are starting to face.

Anyway... interesting article that Ranald.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair:

Had a conversation with my brother in Scotland about independence. I presented the thought to him (not accepted :smile:)
      that much of Israel's success was due to the amount of money flooding in from the Jewish section in the US and elsewhere. Would then the same not follow for Scotland with the huge ex-pat, extremely patriotic, numbers abroad. Just a thought!

I think potable water might be an even greater problem world-wide. But Scotland surely does not lack for it.:laugh2:

Lizzie

Comment

Well, Here's Lizzie again. Normally I would say on the subject of politics don't get me started. However, after two glasses of wine with Sunday dinner, (sorry Alistair - no whiskey) you will probably banish me from this forum. But. let me expand on my thought above. Consider, the late 18th century, the clearances and the forced emigration of that time is similar to the emigration during the 60's when unemployment in Scotland was near 25%. If my memory serves me correctly, ten thousand were leaving monthly for Australia with free passage or minimally charged ten pounds. The question is did they want to leave. When that is a negative because of a lack of economic opportunity at the hands of London it harbors resentment for being forced to leave the country of their birth and magnifies their attachment. And so, with the numbers involved, I believe that would translate into promoting financial assistance for the freedom and success of an independent Scotland.

I'll await my sentence.

Comment

It's always good to discuss independence and all comments are welcome. There are issues that the SNP are not prepared to discuss and they'll need to if they want a YES vote.

I believe Scotland has the money to be independent and would not need to rely on donations from the Scots Diaspora. The only problem is they really don't have the real visionary people they need to really promote the country through Tourism and Business. That's also a real problem for the SNP as in those areas they are very weak.

Alastair

Comment

Maybe Scots within Scotland need to be better educated in their own history while still in school, given a thorough grounding in what Scots have achieved in the past, not only in Scotland but the wider diaspora as Scots settled in [an opened up] new lands. Up until a few decades ago Scots appeared to be holding their own, but with the sad demise of shipbuilding on the Clyde and various other old established industries/businesses going into decline things have changed.........but that does not mean that the country itself is in decline....just that the economic base has shifted into a new direction.
            I believe Scotland is quite capable of "going it alone", it requires firm [and clear] political leadership, but just as importantly it will need Scots within Scotland to step up to the mark, take control of their own destiny and then.......and only then........will we see,

"The NEW Scottish Enlightenment"

and call it

The 21st Century "Scots' Invention of the Modern World"

Comment

If there was 25% unemployment in Scotland in the 60's, I never saw it. I left school in 1960, didn't emigrate to Australia until 1971 and during that time I was never unemployed. In fact, when I wanted to save up for something, I'd take some holidays and work as a temp for an agency. Nobody in my extended family was unemployed.

Elda

Comment

My apologies. I sense I ruffled a few feathers. I did not intend to imply Scotland could not go it alone. I think when and if given full rein the Scottish aptitude will rise to the occasion. But beginnings can be bumpy and my thought was an influx of financial help would grease the route to early success as has happened with Israel. My figure may not have been correct for the extent of the unemployment in Scotland during the time mentioned but the institution of the Scottish Development Commission International to promote investment in Scottish industry suggests the economic well-being of the country had been neglected by the corporate south.

Comment

The key to Independence is to get out of the European Union which has cost Scotland thousands of jobs since Britain joined. Also while an argument has gone on for years it is Scotland's Oil that had bank rolled GB for many years now.

Alastair

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie View Post
                    My apologies. I sense I ruffled a few feathers. I did not intend to imply Scotland could not go it alone. I think when and if given full rein the Scottish aptitude will rise to the occasion. But beginnings can be bumpy and my thought was an influx of financial help would grease the route to early success as has happened with Israel. My figure may not have been correct for the extent of the unemployment in Scotland during the time mentioned but the institution of the Scottish Development Commission International to promote investment in Scottish industry suggests the economic well-being of the country had been neglected by the corporate south.
                    Lizzie, you didn't ruffle my feathers in case it was my post in which you sensed that. It's a bit hard sometimes, in the written word, to get a sense of meaning across and I've been accused of being a bit too up front at times :-) I'm afraid it's typical of us Scots at times...lol!

Comment

Aye, Glesgalass, I have the same problem - a little too frank at times and have been accused of having a rather direct stare. Guess it must be in the blood. So, let's have it on you and me!! Should be fun! LOL But the positive when people recognize that no meanness it intended, they know where they stand and seem to respect it.

Comment

Working...
                      X